Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Friday, March 30, 2012

Surpassing Value

Philippians 3:12
12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.

Personalize it, pray it methods:

Jeff, I am not finished with you yet, not by a long shot.  But with the understanding that my Son has purchased you at great cost and has made you His own,  that you are now sharing in His righteousness and have been set on this path of sanctification where I am forming you into his likeness, you should join me in this work.  I certainly will accomplish the work that I have begun but you will have such greater joy and blessing if you make attaining Christ likeness your own pursuit.  If you simply seek first the kingdom and let the other concerns of your life fall into place as I promise they will...  If you would simply set your mind on Me rather than this place where you are visiting for a time.

Romans 8:29
29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.


Colossians 3:2-3
Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. 3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

Paul writes these words in his letter to the Philippians after many years of ministry and being the vessel used by the Lord to draft the majority of the new testament.  Paul wanted to make it clear that he was still not perfect and that he was still called to strive for Christ likeness.  How much more then, am I still imperfect and in need of this striving?

Philippians 3:7-8
But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ

Jeff, there is nothing of greater value available to you than to know me.  Paul understood this and he considered everything in his life secondary to this relationship with me.  Paul had a life marked by surrender of everything for the sake of my son.  Jeff- Do you understand that I surrendered this Son for you to be able to know me?  The very thing that I am telling you is most valuable, I gave up on the cross for you to have access to this relationship?  Do you believe that this relationship is indeed the highest thing in life?  Jeff, let each day you live be marked by this truth.  Let each day you live evidence that your top aim is to know my son and to be transformed into His likeness.  Are you wasting time?  Are you wasting breath?  There is so much joy and fulfillment to be found...don't return to a mediocre life marked by self.

Jeff, do you count your efforts to advance in your career as loss?  Do you count your efforts to build a comfortable life as loss?  Do you count your recreation and hobbies as loss?  Do you even count your knowledge of the bible and your understanding of doctrine as loss?  Paul counted his religious track record as loss.

Jeff- Does the value of knowing Christ Jesus surpass the value of every other thing in your life? (Phil 3:8)
Jeff- Have you surrendered everything that would compete with your relationship with Christ as if it was rubbish? (Phil 3:8)
Jeff- How do you deal with rubbish in your home?  Do you not quickly dispose of it?

Application:
Today I am to surrender anything that would take the place of knowing Christ
Today I am to surrender anything that would take the place of knowing Christ
Today I am to surrender anything that would take the place of knowing Christ

Prayer:
Lord please teach me the ways that I may know you.  Please help me break free of my preconceptions regarding what it is to know you.  I am only recently diving into meaningful alone time with you in your word and I am deeply blessed.  Please show me the other ways I have been neglecting my relationship with you.  Please build the passion in me for scripture memorization.  Please let me know what it is to pray without ceasing.


1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Please let me commune with you throughout my day and may prayer be a continuos conversation with you as you are not found only in this quiet place.  Lord, please put on my heart whatever you desire of me that would bring me onward in this striving to Christ likeness. Thank you for drawing near to me and thank you for revealing yourself to me in your word.  In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!

2 comments:

  1. Your post is a sharp reminder for me that nothing I have done, nothing I am doing, and nothing I will do can compare to knowing Christ and his sacrificial love for me. Bless you brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels amazing to be in alignment with that truth...for so long I would have been uneasy to acknowledge that because I knew I was not living that way from day to day. The priority of our day is the real priority of our life!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!