Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Monday, May 7, 2012

Be Thee Consumed


Today's Reading: Exodus 33-34; Acts 9 (will be covered tomorrow)


Exodus 33:3 (ESV)Go up to a land flowing with milk and honey; but I will not go up among you, lest I consume you on the way, for you are a stiff-necked people.”

Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord, thank you for revealing your message to me this morning and allowing me to see what you would have me take away. I praise you for the illumination your Holy Spirit provides…may He continue to bless me Lord- amen.

Initial comments-
Praise God for His love. The Lord ravished me this morning and I am so very thankful that He does so when we would draw near to Him. For this reason today's post was incomplete until now...

I do not want to consume you-
Exodus 33:5 (ESV)For the Lord had said to Moses, “Say to the people of Israel, ‘You are a stiff-necked people; if for a single moment I should go up among you, I would consume you. So now take off your ornaments, that I may know what to do with you.’ ”
Jeff- Recall now that my people had just sinned against me in the highest order in the very moment that I was delivering to them a covenant by Moses. Recall that they created an idol for worship and I killed 3,000 of them at the hands of the Levites in order to express my displeasure and to radically amputate the disbelief for the good of the remaining, for my glory.

So now Moses had descended the mountain and dealt with the sin of my people and returned to communicating with me in the meeting tent outside the camp, but I now called him to return in order to receive replacements for the law that they had so quickly broken. See Jeff, that the human heart chooses self so quickly and it is therefore only my presence, my intercession that can draw you to me.

My fullness would consume you Jeff. My full presence would annihilate your free will because you would have no power against my holy presence and your sinful heart would collapse before me in absolute surrender with a complete loss of self. Know that this is not what I desire Jeff. I could have this any moment but I only pass my goodness before you in a glimpse out of both graciousness that you may be instigated to know me and experience me- since you would do nothing of the sort without my initiation- and out of mercy that I do not reveal more and annihilate. (cf. Exodus 33:19)

See Jeff that I gave them but a simple command that I might see how they responded and to bring them to a place of humility with a contrite heart. If they would but tremble at my word, I would reveal my glory to them in a manner to change them like I now provide filling of my Spirit to you if you would approach me as my prophet Isaiah saw...

Isaiah 66:1–2 (ESV)
66 Thus says the Lord: 
  “Heaven is my throne, 
and the earth is my footstool; 
  what is the house that you would build for me, 
and what is the place of my rest? 
  All these things my hand has made, 
and so all these things came to be, 
declares the Lord. 
  But this is the one to whom I will look: 
he who is humble and contrite in spirit 
and trembles at my word.
From the Jamieson, Fausset, Brown Commentary-
God judges the state of the heart by the tenor of the conduct. In the case of the Israelites, He cherished a design of mercy; and the moment He discerned the first symptoms of contrition, by their stripping off their ornaments, as penitents conscious of their error and sincerely sorrowful, this fact added its weight to the fervency of Moses’ prayers, and gave them prevalence with God in behalf of the people.
Jamieson, R., Fausset, A. R., Fausset, A. R., Brown, D., & Brown, D. (1997). A commentary, critical and explanatory, on the Old and New Testaments (Ex 33:5). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.


Two-way communication-

Exodus 33:11 (ESV)11 Thus the Lord used to speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. When Moses turned again into the camp, his assistant Joshua the son of Nun, a young man, would not depart from the tent. 
Jeff- be sure to notice that this personal face to face relationship is what I desire for you. Know that I do not call you to duty or to deny yourself for the sake of humility as if it were the end. Understand that the entire purpose of this humility and brokenness is so that we might enter into loving relationship, which I designed you to experience in me from the beginning. Remember that reconciliation with you is what sent my Son to the cross…so know that my love for you is relentless. You short yourself and insult me when you come to me in duty Jeff. Do not come to me just to say that you came, but come to me simply to be here. I am the goal Jeff…I am the prize…I am the groom and I want you to choose me Jeff.

I desire to reveal more of myself to you Jeff as long as I know that you come willingly and that you are prepared to receive, lest you again be destroyed. Remember that I want you to choose so we can be in meaningful relationship, not servitude. So come and ask that I might provide…
James 4:2 (ESV)You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask.
Don't try to get what you know you need by your own misguided means Jeff. Look at my Word, hear my voice and ask me for satisfaction. But know that this satisfaction I give only come through me and according to my purpose. Shall I grant you the very things that you want to make idols of? Consider your heart and pray in my Son's name, not your own...  
James 4:3 (ESV)You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions.
If you die to self each day and choose the greater joy, the only true and complete joy for yourself, then your prayers will come to be aligned with my purposes and you will find yourself praying and fighting and striving for my kingdom, not yours. Your kingdom is miserable and selfish and temporal Jeff, mine is magnificent and loving, and eternal. Where do you think you would be happier? I don't want you to deny yourself because I need or even want your service Jeff. I want you to deny yourself because I want you to have yet more!!! The problem is that currently "you are far too easily pleased"- this is how my servant C.S. Lewis put it. There is such greater joy to be had in me than anywhere else...
Psalm 16:11 (ESV) 11  You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
See Moses' prayer and consider if you would answer this prayer for your son whom you planned to die for...
Exodus 33:13 (ESV)13 Now therefore, if I have found favor in your sight, please show me now your ways, that I may know you in order to find favor in your sight. Consider too that this nation is your people.” 
Jeff, pray that I might reveal my way to you through the filling of my Spirit. Know that I need to bring you to a place of humility , brokenness, and a trembling for my Word in order to accomplish this.
Exodus 33:18–20 (ESV)18 Moses said, “Please show me your glory.” 19 And he said, “I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name ‘The Lord.’ And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live.” 
See that I could only reveal but a small piece of myself to Moses. My glory is like a star in the sky and I will offer you a weak telescope that you might begin to see some of it's magnitude Jeff. Were I to transport you there you would be destroyed by the star.  The star, one of billions, that I hold in one hand.  For which I can hold always one more, and yet another.  I cannot but show you a shadow Jeff so let your heart be filled with joy when you consider that what you see is not yet even the beginning.

Never limit me solely into the image of a man, Jeff. I am the one being that demonstrates the highest virtue and essence of love by exalting myself- there is none like me. Never compare to me. My Son I put in the flesh that you might see by that telescope Jeff. You know not of His glory nor do you understand of His sacrifice...
Exodus 34:5–7 (ESV)The Lord descended in the cloud and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the Lord. The Lord passed before him and proclaimed, “The Lord, the Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, but who will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children and the children’s children, to the third and the fourth generation.”
I revealed to Moses that I would passover the people's sin on account of my Son and for my glory...

From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
The Lord descended, by some sensible token of his presence, and manifestation of his glory. His descending bespeaks his condescension; he humbles himself to take cognizance of those that humble themselves to walk with him. Ps. 113:6, Lord, what is man, that he should be thus visited? He descended in the cloud, probably that pillar of cloud which had hitherto gone before Israel, and had the day before met Moses at the door of the tabernacle. This cloud was to strike an awe upon Moses, that the familiarity he was admitted to might not breed contempt. The disciples feared, when they entered the cloud. His making a cloud his pavilion intimated that, though he made known much of himself, yet there was much more concealed.
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ex 34:5–9). Peabody: Hendrickson.
The pardon of Israel’s sin in worshipping the calf was now to pass the seals; and God, by this declaration, would let them know that he pardoned ex mero motu—merely out of his own good pleasure, not for their merits’ sake, but from his own inclination to forgive. The proclaiming of it denotes the universal extent of God’s mercy. He is not only good to Israel, but good to all; let all take notice of it. He that hath an ear, let him hear, and know, and believe,
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ex 34:5–9). Peabody: Hendrickson.
From glory to glory-

Exodus 34:29–30 (ESV)
29 When Moses came down from Mount Sinai, with the two tablets of the testimony in his hand as he came down from the mountain, Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone because he had been talking with God. 30 Aaron and all the people of Israel saw Moses, and behold, the skin of his face shone, and they were afraid to come near him.
Jeff, see how a sliver of my glory would reflect on my servant's face? Do you understand how it is that you can minister faithfully and effectively only from this place of reflection? Do not try to calculate me or to study me as a science- rather, simply know me and let this amazing experience of my glory radiate from you- that is the only education you must deliver. See what I said about how I would do this with Moses (and recall that at his initial calling he refused to be my mouthpiece and required Aaron)...
Exodus 34:10 (ESV)10 And he said, “Behold, I am making a covenant. Before all your people I will do marvels, such as have not been created in all the earth or in any nation. And all the people among whom you are shall see the work of the Lord, for it is an awesome thing that I will do with you.
So it is with you Jeff that I can accomplish wonderful things for my kingdom in you, in any person, who surrenders what they cannot keep to gain what they cannot lose...
Matthew 16:25 (ESV)25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 
Galatians 2:20 (ESV)20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Therefore Jeff, deny yourself the tin idols in favor of the real deal. Be in loving relationship with me Jeff and be transformed…
2 Corinthians 3:18 (ESV)
18 And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.
From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
He came down adorned with the best beauty; for the skin of his face shone, v. 29. This time of his being in the mount he heard only what he had heard before, but he saw more of the glory of God, which having with open face beheld, he was in some measure changed into the same image from glory to glory, 2 Co. 3:18. The last time he came down from the mount with the glory of a magistrate, to frown upon and chastise Israel’s idolatry; now with the glory of an angel, with tidings of peace and reconciliation. Then he came with a rod, now with the spirit of meekness.
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ex 34:28–35). Peabody: Hendrickson.
From Wiersbe's Commentary-
The glory of the OT Law was temporary and finally faded away, but the glory of new covenant grace grows brighter and brighter. Moses only reflected God’s glory and had to wear a veil so the people could not see the glory disappear, but God’s people today radiate God’s glory from within as they see Jesus Christ in the Word (the mirror) and become more like Him (2 Cor. 3:18). Ours is to be a constant “transfiguration” experience as we walk with the Lord.
Wiersbe, W. W. (1993). Wiersbe's expository outlines on the Old Testament (Ex 33:18–34:9). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
Application and Prayer: 

  • Today I will look at your creation and know that it is a mere shadow.
  • Today I will thank you for the tiny glimpses you give me of yourself.
  • Today I will rest in the knowledge that you love me and desire intimate relationship, not servitude and duty.
  • Today I will be present and participate in this relationship as a willing and eager son going to the ball game with dad.
  • Today I will rejoice that you bound yourself in covenant to me, for your good pleasure, that you would leave for yourself no out- you are all in!
  • Today I will pray that your glory might reflect from me onto my family and on the men and couples I interact with.
  • Today I will gladly give up money, things, selfishness- give it all up to gain you.
Lord please transform me and fill me with your Holy Spirit today that I might radiate your love like a bride walking the aisle for the love and pleasure to be found in you, not for a sense of duty. Please show me more of your glory today and may it annihilate a little bit more of the worthless part of me that I am better without. Please consume everything in me that is not surrendered to you Lord, although I tremble as I ask. Thank you that perfect love casts out all fear!

In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.



2 comments:

  1. Great Job Jeff! This is very enjoyable to read...James B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,
    I pray that you be ravished by God every day because today's posting of your reading is awesome. Thank you
    And thanks be to God for his work through you. Love dad

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!