Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Resting in His Sovereign Grace


Philippians 4:6-7
do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


Personalize it method (Rick Warren- 40 days in the word):

Jeff, do not worry or fear any circumstances.  I am the sovereign Lord and have authority over all things.  Nothing exists except that which I hold together.

Colossians 1:15-17
15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities — all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.


Jeff, There is nothing outside of my reign.  Know that I will always work good in your life, that you may be conformed to my image.  The troubles that have you worried are completely within my control and I am using them to teach you, to grow you.

Romans 8:28-29
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. 29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.


So with that understanding come to me in prayer when you feel troubled by these trials or circumstances.  Come to me with thanksgiving because I have already told you the outcome, the result, will be for your good.  If you do this, I will grant you my peace.  Jeff, my peace is like no other.  My peace surpasses anything you think you can envision.  My peace will guard your heart and mind.  My peace will calm your entire being.  Rejoice in the understanding that I am in control and am doing a work in you through all circumstances that I allow in your life.

Also know Jeff, that I do not promise prosperity and comfort.  Do not presume the outcome that would bring you momentary comfort or relief.  See that I return peace when you pray in the midst of your anxiety...I do not return the elimination of the suffering!  Count therefore not on the elimination of the suffering, but on the hope that is produced in you as you stand in my grace.  I may not take away the suffering, I may not heal your child, I may not stop you from losing your job, I may not stop the other car from hitting you...but you can yet rest in my sovereign grace, knowing that I am in control and I am working all things together for your good.

Romans 5:1-4
1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 


Pray then, Jeff, not for elimination of all suffering or trials, but for peace in the midst of them and be thankful for the amazing work I am doing in and through you.  This prayer I will answer in abundance!  Let your heart be pure in this request and experience this peace that is beyond comprehension.  Come to me with discontent, anger, entitlement, expectation of relief, and you will not find this peace.  What sort of peace is it that is present when there is no suffering?  Any peace suffices for that...mine is not just any peace.

O how powerful is the prayer offered in spirit and truth, the prayer offered in the name of Jesus!

Application:
Today I am to cast my concerns on the Lord and pray for peace, independent of the outcome.
Today I am to rejoice that the Lord is sovereign and will accomplish the work he began in me
Today I will rest in His truth that He loves me and is producing character and hope in my life

Prayer:
Thank you Lord for the faith displayed by Shadrach Meshack and Abednego as they lived this truth so long ago.  Please give me this type of faith to completely surrender to your sovereign grace.

Daniel 3:13-18
Then Nebuchadnezzar in furious rage commanded that Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego be brought. So they brought these men before the king. 14 Nebuchadnezzar answered and said to them, “Is it true, O Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, that you do not serve my gods or worship the golden image that I have set up? 15 Now if you are ready when you hear the sound of the horn, pipe, lyre, trigon, harp, bagpipe, and every kind of music, to fall down and worship the image that I have made, well and good. But if you do not worship, you shall immediately be cast into a burning fiery furnace. And who is the god who will deliver you out of my hands?”
16 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego answered and said to the king, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we have no need to answer you in this matter. 17 If this be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of your hand, O king. 18 But if not, be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up.”


Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!