Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Of Course I Want You


Today's Reading: Mark 1:29-45



The quiet place of prayer and meditation on the Word-


Mark 1:35 (ESV)
35 And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed.


See the example the my Son give you here Jeff. Daily alone time with me should be an utmost priority in your life. It is this relationship with me that is the purpose of your life and I paid a high cost to enable this relationship. There is nothing more important than your trusting in and being satisfied in me. Meet me here each day and walk with me. Listen to me, wait on me, lay your concerns on me and wrestle with me over your desires and motives. Be transformed by my Holy Spirit and ask for my filling. See that this time in the quiet place of prayer and meditation should be regular, personal, and something you schedule as a priority, not an afterthought or something that you do when time lands in your lap Jeff.

Luke 5:16 (ESV)
16 But he would withdraw to desolate places and pray.

Isaiah 50:4 (ESV)
  The Lord God has given me 
the tongue of those who are taught, 
  that I may know how to sustain with a word 
him who is weary. 
  Morning by morning he awakens; 
he awakens my ear 
to hear as those who are taught.

From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
His retirement to his private devotion (v. 35); He prayed, prayed alone; to set us an example of secret prayer. Though as God he was prayed to, as man he prayed. Though he was glorifying God, and doing good, in his public work, yet he found time to be alone with his Father; and thus it became him to fulfil all righteousness. Now observe,
1. The time when Christ prayed. (1.) It was in the morning, the morning after the sabbath day. Note, When a sabbath day is over and past, we must not think that we may intermit our devotion till the next sabbath: no, though we go not to the synagogue, we must go to the throne of grace, every day in the week; and the morning after the sabbath particularly, that we may preserve the good impressions of the day. This morning was the morning of the first day of the week, which afterward he sanctified, and made remarkable, by another sort of rising early. (2.) It was early, a great while before day. When others were asleep in their beds, he was praying, as a genuine Son of David, who seeks God early, and directs his prayer in the morning; nay, and at midnight will rise to give thanks. It has been said, The morning is a friend to the Muses—Aurora Musis amica; and it is no less so to the Graces. When our spirits are most fresh and lively, then we should take time for devout exercises. He that is the first and best, ought to have the first and best.
2. The place where he prayed; He departed into a solitary place, either out of town, or some remote garden or out-building. Though he was in no danger of distraction, or of temptation to vain-glory, yet he retired, to set us an example to his own rule, When thou prayest enter into thy closet. Secret prayer must be made secretly. Those that have the most business in public, and of the best kind, must sometimes be alone with God; must retire into solitude, there to converse with God, and keep up communion with him.




It's the message, not the signs-


Mark 1:37–39 (ESV)
37 and they found him and said to him, “Everyone is looking for you.” 38 And he said to them, “Let us go on to the next towns, that I may preach there also, for that is why I came out.” 39 And he went throughout all Galilee, preaching in their synagogues and casting out demons.

These people were now flocking to my Son due to the healings and He discerned that they came not for hearing his message but to see the wonders. The purpose of my Son's ministry was not to remove all sickness or to remove bad circumstances. These things were merely signs to evidence His authority and the validity of His message. See that He continued to heal and to cast out demons as he went but He perceived that the miracles were dominating the minds of the people in Capernaum and it was time to go. Similarly Jeff, do not expect that I purpose to remove all suffering and to give you ultimate comfort in this life. My gospel is not a prosperity gospel Jeff. 



What good gift would I not give my children?-


Mark 1:40–42 (ESV)
40 And a leper came to him, imploring him, and kneeling said to him, “If you will, you can make me clean.” 41 Moved with pity, he stretched out his hand and touched him and said to him, “I will; be clean.” 42 And immediately the leprosy left him, and he was made clean.

My Son was moved with compassion for this man, not due to his illness, but because of his heart that wondered if God would desire to save him. This man knew that my Son had the power to remove this disease and yet wondered if maybe there was some reason for which he was "not worthy" to be healed or if God would turn him away perhaps because of what this man believes was the moral cause of his illness. See that my Son's heart broke for this man that wondered and did not understand the love and the determination to save all that would believe that was in Jesus. My Son showed Him that his illness was not caused by something unforgivable and possibly not a moral cause at all- rather Jesus showed that He was not ashamed of this man. This man was important to God and of course you will be healed when you come to me with a humble heart and a willing spirit. My poor child, if only you could understand the love I have for you.

My Son came with authority to carry out my will and He is the real deal. The tabernacle and the priesthood of Aaron and the sacrifices were extremely important as an obedience of faith and a foreshadowing of what my Son would accomplish, but these things were truly powerless to actually remove disease. See that removing disease is symbolizing the removal of the consequences of sin. Only my Son has authority to forgive and authority to save. See the contrast of the immediate cleansing, the removal of the disease altogether against the seven days it took for the ceremonial cleansing of a leper by the ritual of the law…

Leviticus 13:4 (ESV)
But if the spot is white in the skin of his body and appears no deeper than the skin, and the hair in it has not turned white, the priest shall shut up the diseased person for seven days.

From the Bible Knowledge Commentary-
The deliverance Jesus brought transcended the Mosaic Law and its regulations. Though the Law provided for the ritual purification of a leper, it was powerless to cleanse a person from the disease or to effect inward spiritual renewal.

Application and prayer:
  • Today I will seek the Lord in the quiet place
  • Today I will trust that His love is for me
  • Today I will trust that He gives complete forgiveness and separation from my sin
  • Today I will trust in my deliverer, not in the removal or production of a specific circumstance

God you are unstoppable and I know you can do far beyond what I could ask or even imagine. Thank you that you reveal yourself in your Word and thank you that you purposed to deliver me. Let me walk with this understanding of your grace that I can never overcome. Your grace is indeed like an avalanche that is inescapable and irresistible. Thank you Lord that your salvation does not hinge on my ability to choose you but rather on your grace and your glory that will not and cannot fail. I pray in Jesus name, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!