Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Wisdom to Act

James 3:13
13 Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom.

Paraphrase it method:
One who is wise will demonstrate such wisdom through the actions of living out their saving faith in humility. Based upon James 2:17-18 this saving faith means they will not merely make statements or have "beliefs" but they will surrender and allow the Lord to manifest their faith in their daily activities/priorities.

My study bible (MacArthur study bible) suggests that the description of the person who is wise and understanding is referring to someone very skilled at living, at the practical application of the wisdom of God.

The next verse discusses the need to refrain from boasting if there is bitter jealousy or self entered ambition in your heart...this is contrasted to wisdom "from above" and so equates to wisdom from somewhere else; namely self.

Application:
Today I am to seek wisdom from above as described here and I know that I receive this wisdom by asking it from the Lord...

2 Chronicles 1:10-12 (King Solomon prays for wisdom)
Give me now wisdom and knowledge to go out and come in before this people, for who can govern this people of yours, which is so great?” 11 God answered Solomon, “Because this was in your heart, and you have not asked possessions, wealth, honor, or the life of those who hate you, and have not even asked long life, but have asked wisdom and knowledge for yourself that you may govern my people over whom I have made you king, 12 wisdom and knowledge are granted to you. I will also give you riches, possessions, and honor, such as none of the kings had who were before you, and none after you shall have the like.”

So here God makes it clear that He grants the wisdom and knowledge because of the purity of Solomon's heart in the request.  Solomon did not ask for wisdom and knowledge in all things...he asked for wisdom and knowledge in the area of the responsibility and the calling that God put in Solomon's life.  This would be like me asking for wisdom and understanding in leading my family, serving in TEAM and Men's ministry, Ushering, being a leader in my workplace.  I should not ask God for sick bull fighting skills...or wisdom in how to get rich, or wisdom in how to be more comfortable, or wisdom in how to become popular.  But notice that God freely gave these things to Solomon because Solomon was asking with sincerity only for the wisdom he needed to fulfill the call that God had given him.  Solomon also did not have a mind to be better at this leadership thing than the guy next to him for selfish ambition or due to bitter jealousy.  Rather, he was looking out for God's people.  He knew they needed wise leadership and he did not exalt himself to suppose he was all that.  He recognized he was not and asked God, for the sake of the people, for this wisdom.

God's response is amazing and so encouraging.  He makes it clear what it means to ask "in Jesus name".  We need to ask for things that glorify our Lord, for things that we need to further His kingdom, for things we need out of a sense of service, for things we need not for our self but so that we may bless others.  This is anything but a prosperity gospel!!!!  Praise the Lord.

More on application- Today I am to apply the wisdom He grants me by taking action in those areas of my calling, those areas where I have been given responsibility.  So I am to bless my family, I am to love and lead my wife, I am to invest the wisdom God grants into ministry and into my workplace.  I cannot merely receive wisdom and knowledge and then ignore it because I prefer to remain comfortable or because I need to go count my money or something.  If this was my heart, God would not have granted His wisdom in the first place and therefore whatever wisdom I thought I had would be from myself...

Prayer:

O Lord let me be as Solomon and desire only that you would give me wisdom and understanding to fulfill your calling in my life and to manage the areas of responsibility that you have granted me.  Lord let me not cease in asking and seeking from you this wisdom that you desire to give me.  Please give me faith and let me completely trust in your goodness and your sovereignty, that you would give me this wisdom generously according to your word in James 1:5-6.

James 1:5-6
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.

Lord please give me such wisdom and understanding that I might be fully equipped to lead my family.  To teach my children and to love and lead my wife.  To humbly serve in TEAM, Men's, and the Ushers ministries as you have called me.  To humbly serve in the leadership role you have placed me in at work.  Please help me to not be double minded but to keep a pure heart in these areas that there would be no bitter jealousy or selfish ambition in me, Lord.  Let me not hope for personal gain or glory in any fashion Lord but to you alone be the glory from this filling from your abundant wisdom- Soli Deo Gloria.

Thank you Lord for revealing to me what I am to do with your word.  Thank you for teaching me how to meditate on your word.  Let me dwell on these things throughout the day and let me recognize opportunities to surrender to you today Lord.  In Jesus name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!