Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Commit Yourself to Me


Today's Reading: Numbers 6




Comments: Happy Fourth of July! Again, not so clean but gotta run...

Non-priestly vow-


Numbers 6:1–2 (ESV)
And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, “Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, When either a man or a woman makes a special vow, the vow of a Nazirite, to separate himself to the Lord,


Do you understand that I call some into lifetime service in a special way as a pastor or other church leader and others I may call into lay ministry? See here that this vow is one that could be taken by anyone and was voluntary. Similarly Jeff, anyone can vow to put themselves in my service in whatever way they may be gifted or however my Spirit might lead them. The duration is up to them in this vow. Just the same, the lay minister or the person offering their service to my church has the option of how and when they are to serve. This service, however, should be taken seriously once committed to and they should be bond by it until complete.

See also the correlations here with the life of surrender that all Christians should live...

From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
every true Christian is a spiritual Nazarite, separated by vow unto the Lord.



Be not influenced by others-


Numbers 6:3 (ESV)
he shall separate himself from wine and strong drink. He shall drink no vinegar made from wine or strong drink and shall not drink any juice of grapes or eat grapes, fresh or dried.

The vow here involves avoiding wine and strong drink. Do not allow yourself to be under some other influence Jeff, that you would not be completely surrendered to me alone. If you allow influences in your life to override what is my lead, you are no longer separated for my service. Be wise about what influences you allow in your life and understand that if you put yourself subject to the world your mind will be confirmed as such, but put yourself subject to my Spirit by remaining separate and by prayer and meditation on my Word and you will then be transformed unto the likeness of my Son- and I will change the very desires of your heart.



They are watching-


Numbers 6:6–8 (ESV)
“All the days that he separates himself to the Lord he shall not go near a dead body. Not even for his father or for his mother, for brother or sister, if they die, shall he make himself unclean, because his separation to God is on his head. All the days of his separation he is holy to the Lord.

Jeff- when you identify yourself as a christian and you work to make disciples, people will no doubt be watching you. Each may watch for their own purpose but the matter is the same- you are representing me and your service is a reflection on me that has a powerful affect on others. Know that the adornment of the tabernacle while on the move mattered just as much as when it was in place in the camp. Your heart, your motives, are evidenced by your words and deeds so don't defile the tabernacle and soil the message that your life is giving.

And do not walk so easily from your vow to me when it becomes difficult. I do not promise that following my Son is easy, rather I am clear in telling you that the path is narrow and the way is challenging...



Not trivial-


Numbers 6:9 (ESV)
“And if any man dies very suddenly beside him and he defiles his consecrated head, then he shall shave his head on the day of his cleansing; on the seventh day he shall shave it.


A vow unto my service, to be separated for my kingdom purpose, I take seriously. Notice that I ask the one under the Nazirite vow to start over if they are defiled- if they sin in any way. Their sin may even be unintentional- in many ways out of their control. So don't presume Jeff, to continue on as if nothing has happened when you sin. Stop and shave your head right then. Confess and repent. Do not let your hair keep growing when you have not taken seriously your offense. There will be some sin you may be guilty of that you blame on your surroundings. See here that you must take responsibility for your cleanliness and this is no other's duty but your own. 

Know that walking along your own path but ascribing to some belief that I am you Lord is deceit. Shave your head, humble yourself. Know that I am LORD. This life is not about you.



I am unchanging-


Numbers 6:21 (ESV)
21 “This is the law of the Nazirite. But if he vows an offering to the Lord above his Nazirite vow, as he can afford, in exact accordance with the vow that he takes, then he shall do in addition to the law of the Nazirite.”


Here I explain that one vow does not erase another. If someone would take the Nazirite vow and also include other offerings beyond what I stipulate for is voluntary vow, then those additional offerings are not replacements for but are in addition to the original vow. Similarly Jeff, when you come to know of my grace and my love, this does not erase my holiness and my justice. You should always maintain a correct and wide view of me as you should never the to except some commitment you have made by covering it with something else that seems to be good.



Give blessing-


Numbers 6:23 (ESV)
23 “Speak to Aaron and his sons, saying, Thus you shall bless the people of Israel: you shall say to them,


Jeff, see that you bless others. Do you see that the priests were to pray for and speak into the lives of my people in order that they would receive hope and security and joy and peace. Much of this will come from fellowship you see, not in isolation. My children need to relate to one another. They need to be blessed by one another. They need to receive encouragement from one another. You need to stop putting every ounce of effort into your own life and pour into others.

Application and Prayer:
Thank you Lord for the opportunity to serve you and to walk with you. Teach me the ways that you would have be be separate and dedicated to your service. Show me your plan for me and let me have faith to walk in it. I ask this in Jesus name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!