Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Monday, July 16, 2012

The Kingdom Has Arrived!


Today's Reading: Mark 1:14-20



It was all for this-


Mark 1:15 (ESV)
15 and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”


From the Louw Nida Greek-English Lexicon-
"fulfilled"
πληρόωc: to finish an activity after having done everything involved—‘to finish, to complete.’ 

See Jeff that my Son began His ministry now because everything that I purposed to occur in history to lead to this ministry of atonement has been completed. Know that all of the history from Adam until this point has been fulfilling my plan to bring my Son here to this point. The law and the prophets were all pointing to this coming of Jesus for the cross. See the plan for the fullness of time...

Ephesians 1:3–10 (ESV)
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

See Jeff that before my Son came to earth my kingdom was a future hope for mankind that was unable to be redeemed by the blood of animals and could not be washed of their sin without the cross. Now as my plan reaches its pinnacle the kingdom is most assuredly at hand for mankind! Do you see that the proper response to this amazing plan unfolding before your eyes is to repent and trust my Son? See that your response is not to thank him and then continue on as if nothing had happened Jeff. Be sure that you come under my influence and abide in me that you will be transformed into the likeness of my Son and you will be filled with my Spirit and you will walk in the light. This is the life I have for you Jeff and it is not a life that is about you or your worldly desires or concerns.



Give it all up for me-


Mark 1:16–18 (ESV)
16 Passing alongside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew the brother of Simon casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. 17 And Jesus said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you become fishers of men.” 18 And immediately they left their nets and followed him.

Jeff, although Mark only records a portion of this event at the Sea of Galilee, a primary lesson remains. Notice that Peter (Simon) and Andrew respond immediately and completely to the request by Jesus. Do you see the surrender? Do you see that they left everything? 

Luke 14:33 (ESV)
33 So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.

Fishing was their livelihood and leaving the nets that they require for their vocation is illustrating that they walked away in that moment from the life they previously knew in order to follow Jesus. These men quit their jobs and devoted the remainder of their lives to following Jesus. After His death, resurrection, and ascension, they served his kingdom faithfully. Jeff, I do not call you to continue your life and just come to church and read my Word sometimes. I call you to end your life and live now for me...

Luke 9:23–24 (ESV)
23 And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.

Galatians 2:20 (ESV)
20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

But see Jeff that I did not call these men to simply walk away from their previous life to hear lessons from me and to follow me around. I told them that I was going to make them fishers of men. This is true of you as well Jeff. I did not call you to sit at church and listen to sermons. I call you to make disciples. I call you to multiply. I call you to share your faith and to bind yourself to other men and to encourage one another and to be conquerors. I call you to labor for my kingdom. You may maintain a vocation that provides a paycheck to meet your material needs by my sovereign provision, but let your primary vocation that brings you meaning, joy, satisfaction, and a continually closer relationship with me be that vocation of my kingdom service.

Matthew 6:33 (ESV)
33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

See also how James and John gave up even their family for me...

Mark 1:19–20 (ESV)
19 And going on a little farther, he saw James the son of Zebedee and John his brother, who were in their boat mending the nets. 20 And immediately he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired servants and followed him.

Leaving their father only with the hired help and forever quitting their familial role of assisting their father with their provision is huge…

Luke 14:26 (ESV)
26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.

See that you can offer nothing to your family without first knowing me. I must be the top priority of your life for you to receive the fullness of joy and peace that I offer you. Recall that I say he who would lose his life will find it. Make me the priority above your family and I will bless you in that family. See how your leadership and influence in the home will improve and how you will deepen the bonds of love and joy within your family Jeff. See also Jeff how this description of John 14:26 represents your past, present, and future and understand that all of this you need to surrender to me in order to receive my Son and to follow Him.


Application and prayer:

  • Today I will ask you and search my heart for areas of my life that I may not have yet surrendered to you
  • Today I will consider how I might give priority to your kingdom in my daily activities
  • Today I will rejoice and take comfort in your gigantic plan and your awesome power that orchestrates all you purpose even with a mysterious preservation of a free will that allows me to enter into meaningful relationship with you
Thank you Lord that your kingdom is now. Thank you that my hope is not only of a heavenly future but of eternity now! Thank you for the truth of your wonderful plan that was here, as you started your ministry, coming to a crescendo. Thank you for your choosing to reveal yourself to a creation and for choosing to demonstrate your glorious grace. Let me rest in this grace and may I be motivated always to worship you with my life because of this grace.  I ask this in Jesus name, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!