Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Let Me Know Your Power & Beauty Now


Today's Reading: Psalm 27



Unnaproachable light-


Psalm 27:1 (ESV)  The Lord is my light and my salvation;
whom shall I fear?
  The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
of whom shall I be afraid?

Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord please reveal yourself and teach me in your Word today here in Psalm 27. I ask this in Jesus name, amen.

Comments: So I sometimes like to express what I think God is teaching in prayer.  I am essentially just praying a paraphrase or what I think the end lesson is to God and reflecting back upon Him. 

Thank you Lord that you are light. Than you that you expose everything for exactly what it is and you take away the fear and the power of darkness. Thank you that you have shone your light into my life and into my heart to expose the ways that I was not trusting you and how I was not surrendering to you. 

You are not just light and salvation Lord, but your are my light and my salvation. Thank you that you have chosen to rescue me. Thank you that you, the almighty God of the universe, the creator of all that is or could be, you are the one who guides me and the one who rescues me. There is no power greater than you. 

As I trust you to be my place and means of safety Lord, how is it that I would have anything or anyone to fear? If I need not find refuge in a physical location or under a circumstance but can find refuge in the ever-present, all-powerful, all-knowing creator who's light engulfs me and against this light darkness is obliterated, against this light men cannot live but are annihilated, against this light the angels cover their faces, against this light there is no challenge or frustration- then yes Lord, whom shall I fear? Do I believe this? O Lord let me believe this to the depths of my soul. Let me believe this when I do not feel it. Let me believe this by the testimony of your Spirit within me when my emotions and my heart might fail.
John 8:12 (ESV)12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” 
John 1:1–5 (ESV)In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. 
Psalm 18:28 (ESV) 28  For it is you who light my lamp;
the Lord my God lightens my darkness.
 
1 Timothy 6:13–16 (ESV)13 I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who in his testimony before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, 14 to keep the commandment unstained and free from reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 which he will display at the proper time—he who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen.
Thank you Lord that you are such a powerful and awesome king who dwells in unapproachable light!


You uphold even he who would come against me-

Psalm 27:2–3 (ESV)  When evildoers assail me
to eat up my flesh,
  my adversaries and foes,
it is they who stumble and fall.
  Though an army encamp against me,
my heart shall not fear;
  though war arise against me,
yet I will be confident.
Thank you Lord that it is you who my enemies must battle against, for you are my rescuer and therefore any person or problem that would come against me must pass through your gates to reach me Lord. The one who causes men to stumble simply by a revelation of who you are is the one whom they must come against…
John 18:4–6 (ESV)Then Jesus, knowing all that would happen to him, came forward and said to them, “Whom do you seek?” They answered him, “Jesus of Nazareth.” Jesus said to them, “I am he.” Judas, who betrayed him, was standing with them. When Jesus said to them, “I am he,” they drew back and fell to the ground.
Thank you Lord that the worst my enemies can hope for is to eat up my flesh, yet you guard my soul as well as my flesh. Legions of trouble or terrible circumstances can come against me but I can have confidence because it is you that are my refuge. You whom upholds the very existence of all creation from moment to moment. You whom maintain all that exists, both good and evil, man and object, heaven and earth only exist by your choice to continue to uphold them. In you is the power which sustains all existence Lord. The enemy who stares at me only remains in existence by your choice Lord. I need not fear what you allow, or even order, into my life.
Colossians 1:15–17 (ESV)15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 
Hebrews 1:1–3 (ESV)Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,


Let me know you-

Psalm 27:4–5 (ESV)  One thing have I asked of the Lord,
that will I seek after:
  that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
  to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord
and to inquire in his temple.
  For he will hide me in his shelter
in the day of trouble;
  he will conceal me under the cover of his tent;
he will lift me high upon a rock.
Lord, free from fear as I am in your arms, I agree with the psalmist and ask that I would have relationship with you where I can see you and can speak with you. I thank you that you reveal yourself unto those that would obey you, to those that love you and I pray that you would maintain my heart and bring me to seek you and know you.  Thank you that you increase my confidence and maintain my weak heart as I look upon you rather than my troubles or my emotions. Thank you that you put my feet on the rock of truth. Thank you that you are the unshakable truth upon which my hope stands.

This one thing Lord should be my one thing. Let me seek you first and let my delight, my primary affection in life be this relationship with you. As I meet with you Lord please move me gladly into this worship of adoring your beauty. Let me also bear the confidence of a son coming to his father to inquire and to seek wisdom and guidance. Let this life replace what could be a life of fear over my troubles or my enemies Lord.

From the Treasury of David-
This verse gives an excellent reason for the Psalmist’s desire after communion with God, namely, that he was thus secured in the hour of peril. “For in the time of trouble,” that needy time, that time when others forsake me, “he shall hide me in his pavilion:” he shall give me the best of shelter in the worst of danger. The royal pavilion was erected in the centre of the army, and around it all the mighty men kept guard at all hours; thus in that divine sovereignty which almighty power is sworn to maintain, the believer peacefully is hidden, hidden not by himself furtively, but by the king, who hospitably entertains him. “In the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me.” Sacrifice aids sovereignty in screening the elect from harm. No one of old dared to enter the most holy place on pain of death; and if the Lord has hidden his people there, what foe shall venture to molest them? “He shall set me up upon a rock.” Immutability, eternity, and infinite power here come to the aid of sovereignty and sacrifice. How blessed is the standing of the man whom God himself sets on high above his foes, upon an impregnable rock which never can be stormed! Well may we desire to dwell with the Lord who so effectually protects his people.
Spurgeon, C. H. (2009). The treasury of David, Volume 2: Psalms 27-57 (3). Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software.


Joy in the tabernacle-

Psalm 27:6 (ESV)  And now my head shall be lifted up
above my enemies all around me,
  and I will offer in his tent
sacrifices with shouts of joy;
  I will sing and make melody to the Lord.
Let me shout for joy Lord as I offer the sacrifice of my will, as I surrender to you and offer you my heart. Let me find joy and comfort in the sacrifice of what my flesh wants to think is important and in what my enemies would threaten but I first give it to you Lord. How can the enemy take my riches away and put me in fear of losing my lifestyle if I have offered my heart to you and no more do I give my heart to greed or comfort or accomplishment or excess? What can my enemy take now?


Now, not later!-

Psalm 27:13 (ESV) 13  I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord
in the land of the living!
Thank you Lord that this hope of relationship, this hope of satisfaction and joy in your glory, this hope of a transformed life where I fear not, this hope of the kingdom of God is here and now! Thank you that I have not a hope for the future alone but a hope of eternity now in your Son. Teach me Lord to live this eternal life now and to look into your Son's face by faith even now. Reveal yourself to me Jesus as you did for Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the furnace. Teach me to keep your commandments and transform my heart such that you would manifest yourself in my life according to John 14:21…

John 14:21 (ESV)21 Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.” 
Psalm 27:7–8 (ESV)  Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud;
be gracious to me and answer me!
  You have said, “Seek my face.”
  My heart says to you,
“Your face, Lord, do I seek.”
 
James 4:8 (ESV)Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 
Psalm 116:9 (ESV)  I will walk before the Lord
in the land of the living.
 
Psalm 142:5 (ESV)  I cry to you, O Lord;
I say, “You are my refuge,
my portion in the land of the living.”
Let me not simply picture you in the heavens far above Lord but let me know you here in this space that I dwell in. Let me see you and experience you here in my home, in my work, in my life here and now.


Trust Him-

Psalm 27:14 (ESV) 14  Wait for the Lord;
be strong, and let your heart take courage;
wait for the Lord!
 
Proverbs 20:22 (ESV) 22  Do not say, “I will repay evil”;
wait for the Lord, and he will deliver you.
Teach me Lord how to wait upon you and to not try to take control myself. Remind me that it is you who are in control of all things and it is you who know what is going to be for my good. Let me trust you rather than preferring what I think is my own understanding of this life. Teach me not to go with the default fleshly reactions but to wait upon you and to inquire of you for wisdom as Moses even did in the passage yesterday where he as unsure about turning the unclean men away from the passover observance. Let me not take action on my own or react in fear due to my emotions or my own deception. Let me have courage even when I don't have the answer and when I have no clue how this could be your plan. Thank you that here you promise to deliver me as I wait for you. Come quick Lord in the times when my flesh wants to fear! Let me not fret when I feel like you are not here at my side but let me wait and trust in spite of my failing heart.  Thank you that when I am weak, you are strong.

Application and prayer continued:
  • Today I will seek to focus my attention of Jesus and I will prioritize my drawing near to him above all else in order to claim the promise of his revealing himself to me and of his provision for my needs as I seek first the kingdom
  • Today I will trust that I have nothing to fear since I fear the Lord and put myself under Him who all things rely on for existence from moment to moment. Satan himself only exists each moment by the Word of the power of Jesus Christ!
  • Today I will rejoice in the experience of eternity now rather than just a view of heaven in the future
Thank you for this Psalm Lord and as I think about starting Mark tomorrow I pray that you would let me see the here and now application to be taken from the life and ministry of your Son. Help me to see his face and to dwell in your house here in the land of the living. I ask this in Jesus name, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!