Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Sunday, July 8, 2012

I Call and Provide


Today's Reading: Numbers 7


Context-

Numbers 7:1 (ESV)On the day when Moses had finished setting up the tabernacle and had anointed and consecrated it with all its furnishings and had anointed and consecrated the altar with all its utensils,

From the Bible Knowledge Commentary-
This chapter points retrospectively back to a month earlier when the tabernacle had just been completed and dedicated. In preparation for the move from Sinai to the Promised Land the tribal leaders brought to the Lord gifts of six wagons and 12 oxen. These, they said, were to be at the disposal of the Levites to help them in their work of transporting the tabernacle and its contents
Walvoord, J. F., Zuck, R. B., & Dallas Theological Seminary. (1985). The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures (Nu 7:1–9). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.


The Lord Provides-

Numbers 7:5 (ESV)“Accept these from them, that they may be used in the service of the tent of meeting, and give them to the Levites, to each man according to his service.”
See Jeff, that I provide according to their service. Each of these clans within the tribe of Levi carry particular responsibilities in the service of my tabernacle. Here I have moved the hearts of the remaining tribes to bring this offering to them in order to supply the provision for this service. See how I do not call someone to service and then not provide the necessary provisions for the service to be completed. Similarly, today I will give you what you need as you answer my call to serve my kingdom. Note that Moses felt like he was not a good enough speaker and although I had given him enough skill I finally offered his brother Aaron to assist in this service. In that case I double provided in spite of Moses' lack of faith…
Exodus 4:10–16 (ESV)10 But Moses said to the Lord, “Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue.” 11 Then the Lord said to him, “Who has made man’s mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the Lord? 12 Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak.” 13 But he said, “Oh, my Lord, please send someone else.” 14 Then the anger of the Lord was kindled against Moses and he said, “Is there not Aaron, your brother, the Levite? I know that he can speak well. Behold, he is coming out to meet you, and when he sees you, he will be glad in his heart. 15 You shall speak to him and put the words in his mouth, and I will be with your mouth and with his mouth and will teach you both what to do. 16 He shall speak for you to the people, and he shall be your mouth, and you shall be as God to him.


Don't forget just because it's shiny-


Numbers 7:9 (ESV)But to the sons of Kohath he gave none, because they were charged with the service of the holy things that had to be carried on the shoulder.
Jeff, here Moses did the Kohathites a great favor in keeping back from them the gift of the carts. Moses recognized that the service of carrying the most holy things was to be done by hand and he spared them the potential error that later took the life of Uzza after he touched the arc to stabilize it when the oxen stumbled pulling the cart they had placed the arc on for travel (cf. 1 Chron 13:9-10).
Exodus 25:14And you shall put the poles into the rings on the sides of the ark to carry the ark by them.  
1 Chronicles 15:15And the Levites carried the ark of God on their shoulders with the poles, as Moses had commanded according to the word of the Lord. 
So be certain Jeff, not to assume everything that might be made available to you is good in application of your service to me. Doors may be opened, opportunities may arise, resources may be avaialable…but be certain that you maintain obedience to my prior instruction and certainly to my Word. Seek counsel for decisions regarding how you would serve me an do not error in a way as did Uzza. Do not accept something as good to put into work just because it is shiny and new.



Judah led but there is no partiality-


Numbers 7:12 (ESV)12 He who offered his offering the first day was Nahshon the son of Amminadab, of the tribe of Judah.
Take note Jeff, that there is no partiality in the tabernacle. These gifts represented the tribes support of the work of the tabernacle. This tabernacle and the service of the priests was to be equally available to all of my children and the equal gifts from each tribe illustrates this...
James 2:1–4 (ESV)My brothers, show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory. For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in, and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, “You sit here in a good place,” while you say to the poor man, “You stand over there,” or, “Sit down at my feet,” have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?


The Lord manifests himself as we obey-


Numbers 7:89 (ESV)89 And when Moses went into the tent of meeting to speak with the Lord, he heard the voice speaking to him from above the mercy seat that was on the ark of the testimony, from between the two cherubim; and it spoke to him.
See here Jeff how I spoke to Moses at the conclusion of this offering. My Son manifests himself to those that obey Him. You will recall the beauty of how He appeared (manifested, revealed himself) to the three men in the furnace...
John 14:2121 Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.” 
Note here that Moses did not enter the most holy place to lay eyes on the mercy seat but he merely heard my voice from the other side of the veil.

Application and Prayer:
  • Today I will trust God to give me what I need on order to serve Him
  • Today I will not assume that everything that come available to me is right and good for his service or for his plan just because it seems helpful
  • Today I will remember to consult his Word for counsel and guidance rather than settle for what is comfortable to me
  • Today I will rejoice in the promise that Jesus will manifest himself to me as I walk in obedience
Thank you Lord for the cross that makes it possible for me to be reconciled to you and that makes it possible for me to serve you as one who bears your righteousness. Thank you Lord that you take away my sin and you leave me whole. Thank you that I can walk into your service, and into the commission you give me to lead my family, with confidence that you will provide for my needs and confidence due to your removal of my sin that would hold me back. I ask this in Jesus name, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!