Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Watch and Listen


Today's Reading: Numbers 10



Setting-

So Israel has been at the base of mount Sinai for about a year now…

From the ESV Study Bible-
Israel Strikes Camp at Sinai. The people of Israel have been at Sinai for almost a full year (see Ex. 19:1). Israel now leaves Sinai to begin its journey to the Promised Land under the guidance and direction of the shekinah glory (i.e., the dwelling glory cloud). This text describes the striking of the Israelite camp and the order of march of the tribes.
Crossway Bibles. (2008). The ESV Study Bible (281). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.


Sound the call!-

Numbers 10:1–2 (ESV)10 The Lord spoke to Moses, saying, “Make two silver trumpets. Of hammered work you shall make them, and you shall use them for summoning the congregation and for breaking camp.

From the Wiersbe Outline Commentary-
The priests and Levites lived right next to the tabernacle, and they would be the first ones to see the cloud moving. It would be their responsibility to warn the camp.
Wiersbe, W. W. (1993). Wiersbe’s Expository Outlines on the Old Testament (Nu 9–10). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.

Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord please reveal yourself in your Word today and give me application for my life that I might walk humbly with you. I ask this in Jesus name, amen.


Recall Jeff that I led my people by this cloud over the tabernacle. In the last chapter I indicated that sometimes the cloud would rest for long periods and sometimes short. Here Israel sees the cloud lift for the first time and I am leading them away from Sinai…
Numbers 10:11–13 (ESV)11 In the second year, in the second month, on the twentieth day of the month, the cloud lifted from over the tabernacle of the testimony, 12 and the people of Israel set out by stages from the wilderness of Sinai. And the cloud settled down in the wilderness of Paran. 13 They set out for the first time at the command of the Lord by Moses.
Can you imagine Jeff the excitement that some felt as I put them on the move? And maybe the fear and uncertainty felt by others? Recall that they were headed toward a promised land…filled with terrible mean people that Israel would have to battle!

So you too take heart when you feel me calling you to action in some manner. Do not expect that I will remove all hazards from your path or make the way easy…this is not how I operate, my Son.

See how my people set out in stages and were organized due to the trumpet calls and the layout of the camp according to my commands? So you also should not walk in disarray but seek to have order and process and a plan. It is not wisdom to live by accident according to whatever circumstance might drive you one moment to the next. As I did with my people here, so also plan your time and your journey and walk with purpose and therefore lead your family in a manner where they have trust in you as a guide.

I settled my people first in the wilderness of Paran...

From Easton's Bible Dictionary-
Paran —  abounding in foliage, or abounding in caverns, (Gen. 21:21), a desert tract forming the north-eastern division of the peninsula of Sinai, lying between the ‘Arabah on the east and the wilderness of Shur on the west. It is intersected in a north-western direction by the Wady el-’Arish. It bears the modern name of Badiet et-Tih, i.e., “the desert of the wanderings.”
Easton, M. G. (1996). Easton’s Bible dictionary. Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.
Note that this first journey went quite smoothly Jeff. My people followed me as I had directed according to my command and they found rest in Paran. You see the carrying of the tabernacle just as I ordered and Israel sees success! Follow according to my Word without looking to the right or to the left Jeff and I will fulfill my promises that accompany my commands. 

Also see that this world, this universe is a God centered universe. You should joyfully humble yourself and seek my counsel and follow my direction rather than your flesh. You do not see Israel deciding themselves when to set out and then the cloud of my favor following them do you? So don't suppose that you aught to simply live life on your terms and expect that I will follow along and give you my favor like your genie or favorite puppy. Understand that I am the living God who is outside of time and who holds the milky way and every galaxy known and unknown in my palm as it were all a speck of dust and yet I see and know every hair on your head and every thought of your mind- and I love you dearly.



Confidence is high-

Numbers 10:34–36 (ESV)34 And the cloud of the Lord was over them by day, whenever they set out from the camp.
35 And whenever the ark set out, Moses said, “Arise, O Lord, and let your enemies be scattered, and let those who hate you flee before you.” 36 And when it rested, he said, “Return, O Lord, to the ten thousand thousands of Israel.”
See my servant Moses how he displayed confidence in my ability to accomplish my purpose and how he encouraged Israel. Moses knew they were bound for battle and understood there would be conflict ahead. He was not fooled into thinking that the road was to be easy or that there was not to be trials. He trusted and asked that I would scatter the enemies and conquer. He knew there was a time for moving and attacking and yet there was a time for rest and for recharging.

So also Jeff, as you saw in Mark 1 yesterday, be sure you meet me here and recharge your mind and your Spirit in order to maintain your strength for the battles that lie ahead. Do not think to walk ahead without resting as I direct you to rest or you will find you walk without my cloud overhead! Always remain subject to me and listen for me. Listen for the trumpets, watch for the cloud. I am the center of this universe Jeff, not you. This you will rejoice in and celebrate and it is cause for joyful worship if you understand well. You want me right where I am- believe that.

Application and prayer:
  • Today I will consider how I can ensure that I am living on purpose with a plan and clear objectives
  • Today I will be certain to rest and wait upon the lead of the Lord and I will ask for discernment to see the cloud and hear the trumpets
  • Today I will trust that although trials and battles lie ahead, the Lord God will accomplish His purpose and He will complete the good work He began in me 
  • Today I will heed the Lord's direction from His Word and I will ask for the faith to answer the trumpet call
Lord please teach me not to set up camp so permanently that I am not prepared to move with the trumpet alarm. Teach me to be light footed and ready for action according to your lead. Let me have purpose rather than be pushed here and there by my earthly circumstances. Be my rock and my all that I may not be bound or restricted by limitation and fears that the world would want to put on me. Show me how the lead my family with all eyes on the cloud and with all trust in you. Help me to be as Moses instilling trust and courage and hope. Let me not injure my families hope or trust through my own selfishness or distraction or pride or slothness.  I ask this in Jesus name, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!