Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Story of The Broken Roof (part 3)


Today's Reading: Mark 2:1-12

Comments: I am marching down the outline of my observations and questions raised in this passage. See part one for the full outline.

Further reflection beginning at verse 3 in addition to yesterday's thoughts- 
Mark 2:3–4 (ESV)And they came, bringing to him a paralytic carried by four men. And when they could not get near him because of the crowd, they removed the roof above him, and when they had made an opening, they let down the bed on which the paralytic lay.

Some faithful friends carry a man in through the roof of the house to get him before Jesus-

Q- What does this teach about friendship and brotherhood?
A- First I see in your Word what a friendship is not to be Lord. I see how we are to protect ourselves from wrong friendships that would destroy us. We are to end these swiftly…
Deuteronomy 13:6–9 (ESV)
“If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son or your daughter or the wife you embrace or your friend who is as your own soul entices you secretly, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods,’ which neither you nor your fathers have known, some of the gods of the peoples who are around you, whether near you or far off from you, from the one end of the earth to the other, you shall not yield to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him, nor shall you conceal him. But you shall kill him. Your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people.

Proverbs 22:24–25 (ESV)
 24  Make no friendship with a man given to anger, 
nor go with a wrathful man, 
 25  lest you learn his ways 
and entangle yourself in a snare.
A-Next I see that I am to do good to my friend and never withhold what I know would be to his favor. This tells me to be selfless and to be a servant…
Job 6:14 (ESV)
 14  “He who withholds kindness from a friend 
forsakes the fear of the Almighty.
A- I see that I am to hold in confidence what a friend would share with me in their vulnerability. I should never use this knowledge against them or to somehow gain from it...
Proverbs 11:13 (ESV)
 13  Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets, 
but he who is trustworthy in spirit keeps a thing covered.

Proverbs 17:9 (ESV)
  Whoever covers an offense seeks love, 
but he who repeats a matter separates close friends.
A- I see that I am to stick close to my friend always, standing shoulder to shoulder,  especially when it is tuff…
Proverbs 17:17 (ESV)
 17  A friend loves at all times, 
and a brother is born for adversity.

Proverbs 18:24 (ESV)
 24  A man of many companions may come to ruin, 
but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
A- I see that I am to give counsel with honesty and I am to be brave in offering blows out of faithfulness to our common affection for Christ.  I am not to flatter when a pointed word is needed just because it would be easier for me and more comfortable for both of us…
Proverbs 27:6 (ESV)
  Faithful are the wounds of a friend; 
profuse are the kisses of an enemy.

Proverbs 27:9 (ESV)
  Oil and perfume make the heart glad, 
and the sweetness of a friend comes from his earnest counsel.

Hebrews 3:12–14 (ESV)
12 Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God. 13 But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end.
A- I see that friends should share their insight with one another and work together for the common goal of surrendering all to Jesus...
Proverbs 27:17 (ESV)
 17  Iron sharpens iron, 
and one man sharpens another.
A- I see that we accomplish more together than separate and we are aided in our times of trouble when we have a band of brothers...
Ecclesiastes 4:9–12 (ESV)
Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. 10 For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! 11 Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? 12 And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
A- Finally Lord, I see that I am to count a faithful friend a blessing from you and I shall not count it against a man who fails in this faithfulness because after all, we are all of us just worms that are saved by your grace alone…
2 Timothy 4:16 (ESV)
16 At my first defense no one came to stand by me, but all deserted me. May it not be charged against them!

Q- What does this teach about commitment and conviction and radical obedience?
A- I see that we are to have courage and work without fear of man or fear of failure because you are with us O Lord…
Haggai 2:4–5 (ESV)
Yet now be strong, O Zerubbabel, declares the Lord. Be strong, O Joshua, son of Jehozadak, the high priest. Be strong, all you people of the land, declares the Lord. Work, for I am with you, declares the Lord of hosts, according to the covenant that I made with you when you came out of Egypt. My Spirit remains in your midst. Fear not.

Romans 12:11–13 (ESV)
11 Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. 12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. 13 Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.
A- I see that blessing and revelation and knowledge of your Son and security in the midst of calamity and trouble and suffering comes with obedience Lord…
Nehemiah 1:5 (ESV)
And I said, “O Lord God of heaven, the great and awesome God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments,

Psalm 25:10 (ESV)
 10  All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness, 
for those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.

Proverbs 1:33 (ESV)
 33  but whoever listens to me will dwell secure 
and will be at ease, without dread of disaster.”

John 14:21 (ESV)
21 Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”

Deuteronomy 12:28 (ESV)
28 Be careful to obey all these words that I command you, that it may go well with you and with your children after you forever, when you do what is good and right in the sight of the Lord your God.

1 Chronicles 22:13 (ESV)
13 Then you will prosper if you are careful to observe the statutes and the rules that the Lord commanded Moses for Israel. Be strong and courageous. Fear not; do not be dismayed.

Q- What does this teach about taking risk for the kingdom and trusting Jesus supremely?
A- I see that I am to trust you and risk myself for your kingdom. Let us be as Joshua and lead our families across the Jordan to claim your promises O God. You are the only one who I should fear.  I should not hold back for fear of failure or being exposed or to protect my own interest because you sustain me…
Psalm 32:10 (ESV)
 10  Many are the sorrows of the wicked, 
but steadfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the Lord.

Psalm 40:4 (ESV)
  Blessed is the man who makes 
the Lord his trust, 
  who does not turn to the proud, 
to those who go astray after a lie!

Psalm 112:7–8 (ESV)
  He is not afraid of bad news; 
his heart is firm, trusting in the Lord. 
  His heart is steady; he will not be afraid, 
until he looks in triumph on his adversaries.

Proverbs 3:5 (ESV)
  Trust in the Lord with all your heart, 
and do not lean on your own understanding.

Proverbs 14:26–27 (ESV)
 26  In the fear of the Lord one has strong confidence, 
and his children will have a refuge. 
 27  The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, 
that one may turn away from the snares of death.

Proverbs 29:25 (ESV)
 25  The fear of man lays a snare, 
but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.

Jeremiah 17:7–8 (ESV)
  “Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, 
whose trust is the Lord. 
  He is like a tree planted by water, 
that sends out its roots by the stream, 
  and does not fear when heat comes, 
for its leaves remain green, 
  and is not anxious in the year of drought, 
for it does not cease to bear fruit.”

Romans 11:29 (ESV)
29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

Hebrews 10:23 (ESV)
23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful.

Q- What does this teach about not wasting your life by pursing your own kingdom when Jesus is waiting?
A- Like these men Lord, I should be seeking you first Lord and not wasting my life on selfish pursuits. What is more important than knowing you and being a being a fisher of men?
Matthew 6:33 (ESV)
33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Luke 14:33 (ESV)
33 So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.

Luke 5:9–11 (ESV)
For he and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish that they had taken, 10 and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.” 11 And when they had brought their boats to land, they left everything and followed him.

John 15:4–5 (ESV)
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

Revelation 3:20 (ESV)
20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

Galatians 2:20 (ESV)
20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Application and prayer:
Lord thank you for your Word that guides me and for your Holy Spirit that illuminates. Let me put to action the truths that you show me. Let me be a faithful friend. Let me surrender in total trust and devotion to you and therefore abandon the striving for my own kingdom in favor of the humble service of your kingdom that will be forever. I ask this to the glory of your name, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!