Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Friday, July 27, 2012

Story of the Broken Roof (part 2)


Today's Reading: Mark 2:1-12

Mark 2:1–12 (ESV)
And when he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home. And many were gathered together, so that there was no more room, not even at the door. And he was preaching the word to them. And they came, bringing to him a paralytic carried by four men. And when they could not get near him because of the crowd, they removed the roof above him, and when they had made an opening, they let down the bed on which the paralytic lay. And when Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven.” Now some of the scribes were sitting there, questioning in their hearts, “Why does this man speak like that? He is blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?” And immediately Jesus, perceiving in his spirit that they thus questioned within themselves, said to them, “Why do you question these things in your hearts? Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Rise, take up your bed and walk’? 10 But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins”—he said to the paralytic— 11 “I say to you, rise, pick up your bed, and go home.” 12 And he rose and immediately picked up his bed and went out before them all, so that they were all amazed and glorified God, saying, “We never saw anything like this!”



Jesus was teaching in a home-

Q- What does this teach about the time and place for working for the kingdom?
A- Lord I think you call me to be ready to share my faith anywhere and anytime. I think that you want me teaching my family and considering your Word everywhere I go…
Deuteronomy 6:6–9 (ESV)
And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

1 Peter 3:15 (ESV)
15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

Ephesians 5:20 (ESV)
20 giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,


Many were gathered together and it included scribes. It seems that there are varied motives and desires among the people gathered around Jesus-

Q- Is there something taught here about what brings us to hear the Word of God or to consider Jesus and how are supposed to view Him that might be different than our initial concept of Him? 
A- Lord you bring all of us to hear your voice in different ways and using different motivations. You make it clear here that my initial view of you may not be accurate and that I always need to be open to your revelation and correction of my perspective as you corrected the perspective of may that were there in that house this day. Please teach me to listen and to consider what it is you are asking of me as I read your Word and as I consider your teaching.
Q-Does it speak to our attitudes and our humility and our surrender to who He is rather than what we want?
A- Lord you display a scenario where it takes humility and a willingness to surrender to what you are here to do rather than my holding on to what I think I want to happen or what I would like to see you do in my life. You demonstrate to various men here that your purpose is independent of what might be driving and motivating us and that we do best to surrender to your purpose.
Some faithful friends carry a man in through the roof to get him before Jesus-

Q- What does this teach about friendship and brotherhood?
A- This is an awesome picture of faithful friends going to battle for one another. These men that were willing to roll up their sleeves to help their friend out is a great display of the brotherhood that you call me to participate in Lord. 
Q- What does this teach about commitment and conviction and radical obedience?
A- These men were radical in their obedience to their faith. They were certain that Jesus was the answer to their friends troubles and they stopped at nothing to get to Him. Their obedience to this conviction was radical and they were clearly not going to be discouraged by some difficulty or the need for hard work.
Q-  What does this teach about taking risk for the kingdom?
A- It seems necessary to take risk in the service of your kingdom Lord. These men risked physical harm, embarrassment,  the cost of house repair, and possibly imprisonment in order to get their friend before Jesus. Please give me similar trust and teach me to risk like this in the calling you give me to serve and lead my family as well as in ministry.
Q- What does this teach about trusting Jesus supremely?
A- These men trusted beyond doubt that you were the answer to their troubles. These men were certain that you had the power to heal their friend. These men trusted that you were worth the risk and the rouble. 
Q- What does this teach about not wasting your life by pursing other things when Jesus is waiting?
A- These men didn't wait another minute before they charged toward you Jesus. These men could have said something like "well, there isn't any room so we will just come back tomorrow or maybe catch him at another time really soon." No- these men were serious about seeing you immediately. They felt an urgency and had a sincere purpose that was wrapped up in you Lord. Please teach me to also live with this sense of urgency and this purpose that is all about you Lord. Let me not pass off service to your kingdom today for the sake of doing it tomorrow. Please teach me to make your kingdom top priority in my life that I might not waste time and effort on things that really don't matter.
Thank you for your Word Lord. Please continue to teach me as I consider what you reveal in this passage. Let me see the application for my life. I ask this to the glory of your name, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!