Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Answerable to a Mighty God


Today's Reading: Exodus 23-24; Psalm 14; Acts 5


Exodus 23:20–21 (ESV)20 “Behold, I send an angel before you to guard you on the way and to bring you to the place that I have prepared. 21 Pay careful attention to him and obey his voice; do not rebel against him, for he will not pardon your transgression, for my name is in him.

Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord, please show me what you would have me take away form your Word today, amen.

Jeff, see the beautiful picture of the mighty angel I sent to lead my people. Know that this very angel and the host of angels at my command serve me and work to accomplish my purpose. Remember to pray for this protection Jeff. You can ask that my angels might fend off the enemy in times where you feel discouraged perhaps due to accusations from the enemy in your mind. Pray that he might come...
Joshua 5:13–14 (ESV)13 When Joshua was by Jericho, he lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, a man was standing before him with his drawn sword in his hand. And Joshua went to him and said to him, “Are you for us, or for our adversaries?” 14 And he said, “No; but I am the commander of the army of the Lord. Now I have come.” And Joshua fell on his face to the earth and worshiped and said to him, “What does my lord say to his servant?”
Jeff, know that all who encounter me fear me and if it is an enemy, I do not cast out the fear with my love. Rather, my terror would conquer that you might continue on the path I have set for you!
Exodus 23:27 (ESV)27 I will send my terror before you and will throw into confusion all the people against whom you shall come, and I will make all your enemies turn their backs to you.


Don't Lie to God-

Jeff- know that the hypocrite lies to God and mocks Him. Be certain that this hypocrite will stumble my children and be the cause of hurt in the church. I take this seriously and I may destroy the hypocrite rather than allow them to continue to mock me and to harm my church...
Acts 5:1–3 (ESV)But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property, and with his wife’s knowledge he kept back for himself some of the proceeds and brought only a part of it and laid it at the apostles’ feet. But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back for yourself part of the proceeds of the land? 
Acts 5:4–5 (ESV)While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not at your disposal? Why is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to man but to God.” When Ananias heard these words, he fell down and breathed his last. And great fear came upon all who heard of it.
See that this man's property was his own and I had not required it of him. In his hypocrisy he saw personal benefit available from this act of seeming submission and worship…but it was falsehood. Jeff, never bring forward something that you claim is for me but actually serves yourself. Examine your motives and your heart with all things and be certain. See the result after his wife agreed with the false gift as she was yet unaware of her husband's death…
Acts 5:10 (ESV)10 Immediately she fell down at his feet and breathed her last. When the young men came in they found her dead, and they carried her out and buried her beside her husband.
From Matthew Henry's Commentary-
Ananias and Sapphira would take upon them a profession of Christianity, and make a fair show in the flesh with it, and so would mock God, and deceive others, when they knew they could not go through with the Christian profession. It was commendable, and so far it was right, in that rich young man, that he would not pretend to follow Christ, when, if it should come to a pinch, he knew he could not come up to his terms, but he went away sorrowful. Ananias and Sapphira pretended they could come up to the terms, that they might have the credit of being disciples, when really they could not, and so were a discredit to discipleship.
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ac 5:1–11). Peabody: Hendrickson.


Answerable to God-

Acts 5:19–20 (ESV)19 But during the night an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors and brought them out, and said, 20 “Go and stand in the temple and speak to the people all the words of this Life.”
Jeff- I freed the apostles because I had a great purpose for them and I wanted to give another sign to my people (Israel) to indicate that they must accept my Son. See that they only come against established authority at my charge because there is no name higher...
Acts 5:29–32 (ESV)29 But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men. 30 The God of our fathers raised Jesus, whom you killed by hanging him on a tree. 31 God exalted him at his right hand as Leader and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins. 32 And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.”
From the Bible Knowledge Commentary-
The apostles were well aware of their responsibility for they asserted, We are witnesses of these things (rhēmatōn, “words, sayings,” or “things”). Furthermore, the Holy Spirit was corroborating their testimony by supernaturally enabling them to preach with boldness and to perform miracles. This same Spirit is given to all who believe in Christ (Rom. 8:9).
Walvoord, J. F., Zuck, R. B., & Dallas Theological Seminary. (1983-). The Bible knowledge commentary : An exposition of the scriptures (Ac 5:32). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
Do you see that the Holy Spirit is given to you Jeff and that you too can be empowered to live with this focus and drive to achieve the calling that is to every believer? Go and make disciples Jeff. Rejoice if you should suffer for my name as the apostles rejoiced after their beating...
Acts 5:40–41 (ESV)40 and when they had called in the apostles, they beat them and charged them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go. 41 Then they left the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name.
Again Jeff, this is the same Peter that denied me before men for fear. See that he is drastically transformed by the filling of my Spirit, by his surrender, by the truth of my Son's resurrection.
Acts 5:42 (ESV)42 And every day, in the temple and from house to house, they did not cease teaching and preaching that the Christ is Jesus.
Jeff- Let this response of constant teaching and preaching be your response as well. 



Application and Prayer:

  • Today, by the grace of God, I will not refrain from representing the gospel message to those around me.
  • Today I will keep in mind that I am answerable first to God.
  • Today I will remember God's strength and that his purpose shall be accomplished.
  • Today I will pray for the Lord's mighty angels to protect me from the enemy.
  • Today I will pray for the Lord's protection of my home and family.

Lord, thank you for your wonderful Word. Thank you that I can take such comfort in your promises and in seeing the way you have dealt with the church and the enemy in these times past. Please let me not forget that there does exist this spiritual realm where the battles occur and where your angels fight to your glory. May I also remember that you created every angel, even those that fell, and therefore you are equally greater to the greatest as you are greater than a cockroach or a grain of rice. Thank you for your might! Lord, may I walk today in constant remembrance of who I serve. Please let me not be focused on myself but on your mission. May I rejoice should I be counted worthy to suffer for the sake of this mission, for the sake of your name Lord.

In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!