Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Worthy of Filling


Today's Reading: Ex. 39-40; Ps. 15; Acts 12

His glory filled the tabernacle- Exodus 40:34–38


Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord please illuminate your Word today by your Holy Spirit and give me the message that I am to apply to my life today.  Amen.

See that I dwell in my tabernacle Jeff- but it must be perfect.  This is why you need complete reliance on my Son.

From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
Note, God will dwell with those that prepare him a habitation. The broken and contrite heart, the clean and holy heart, that is furnished for his service, and devoted to his honour, shall be his rest for ever; here will Christ dwell by faith, Eph. 3:17. Where God has a throne and an altar in the soul, there is a living temple. And God will be sure to own and crown the operations of his own grace and the observance of his own appointments.
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ex 40:34–38). Peabody: Hendrickson.
See that Moses could not enter the tabernacle when I filled it with my glory.  The atoning work cannot truly be accomplished by man.  It takes my Son, my beloved Son, who is the true tabernacle…
Exodus 40:34–35 (ESV)34 Then the cloud covered the tent of meeting, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle. 35 And Moses was not able to enter the tent of meeting because the cloud settled on it, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle.
From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
The divine light and fire, let forth in their full strength, will overpower the strongest heads and the purest hearts. But what Moses could not do, in that he was weak through the flesh, has been done by our Lord Jesus, whom God caused to draw near and approach, and who, as the forerunner, has for us entered, and has invited us to come boldly even to the mercy-seat. He was able to enter into the holy place not made with hands (Heb. 9:24); nay, he is himself the true tabernacle, filled with the glory of God (Jn. 1:14), even with the divine grace and truth prefigured by this fire and light. In him the shechinah took up its rest for ever, for in him dwells all the fulness of the godhead bodily. Blessed be God for Jesus Christ!
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ex 40:34–38). Peabody: Hendrickson.
From the Jamieson Fausset Commentary-
While Moses was compelled, through the influence of overwhelming awe, to stand aloof and could not enter the tabernacle, Christ entered into the holy place not made with hands; nay, He is Himself the true tabernacle, filled with the glory of God, ever with the grace and truth which the Shekinah typified.
Jamieson, R., Fausset, A. R., Fausset, A. R., Brown, D., & Brown, D. (1997). A commentary, critical and explanatory, on the Old and New Testaments (Ex 40:35). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.
See that my glory, my presence, my revelation in your life will remain and will guide you while the tabernacle is undefiled.  Be certain Jeff, that you rely on the tabernacle my Son has built and be certain that his earthly tabernacle in your heart is worthy by your surrender and the washing of his blood…
Exodus 40:38 (ESV)38 For the cloud of the Lord was on the tabernacle by day, and fire was in it by night, in the sight of all the house of Israel throughout all their journeys.
Who will you meet with? Psalm 15:1–2
Psalm 15:1-2 (ESV) Lord, who shall sojourn in your tent?
Who shall dwell on your holy hill?
He who walks blamelessly and does what is right
and speaks truth in his heart;
Jeff- see that I will meet with you and I will reveal myself if you would walk blamelessly and do what is right...if you would speak truth in your heart.  Do you see that you need  to not deceive yourself.  Do you see that you need to ask me to examine your heart and listen to my assessment?  Recall how Job needed me to redirect his thoughts and his own assessment of what he thought was his righteousness.  Pride is destructive Jeff.  Listen to me and allow me to mold your heart into this blameless and straight walking heart that we can meet together and spend time together.

Let me cleanse you Jeff.  Hear my voice and repent.  Then walk confidently into the tabernacle…
Hebrews 10:19–22 (ESV)19 Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, 20 by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
From the Bible Knowledge Commentary-
The acceptable person is one whose walk is (a) blameless. Also his actions are (b) righteous. The metaphor of the “walk” is used throughout the Bible for one’s pattern of life and conduct (cf. 1:1). “Blameless” (tāmîm) means complete, sincere, or perfect. A blameless person lives in obedience to God and maintains a life of integrity.
His activities are in harmony with God’s standards, that is, they are righteous. David thus declared that if someone were to go into the presence of the Lord in Zion, he must be an obedient and righteous servant. The wicked and the hypocritical did not belong in the sanctuary.
Walvoord, J. F., Zuck, R. B., & Dallas Theological Seminary. (1983-). The Bible knowledge commentary : An exposition of the scriptures (Ps 15:2). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
Psalm 15:5 (ESV)  who does not put out his money at interest
and does not take a bribe against the innocent.
  He who does these things shall never be moved.
See Jeff that I conclude the psalm with the encouragement that the person who lives as described in the previous 5 verses shall never be moved, shall never totter, shall never be set off base, shall stand prepared!  Live otherwise… and be prepared for a fall; and know that you will not be visiting in the tabernacle with me.

Pray earnestly! Acts 12:5 

See that you must be praying for one another Jeff. You are all serving a great commission that requires sacrifice and effort and brings joy and satisfaction.  Pray for one another, persevere!...
Ephesians 6:18 (ESV)18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,
Know that prayer brings blessing. Never think that "all I can do is pray". This is the greatest thing, the first thing, the last thing, the most important thing you can do! Do you suppose that there is something more you can do that I cannot? Do angels serve at your command? Do not make Job's error and think your reasoning higher than me...
2 Corinthians 1:11 (ESV)11 You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of many.
Deliverance! Acts 12:7


Prayer changes things Jeff.  I work to my glory and it brings me glory when I answer prayer that is offered with pure intent and with sincerity for the sake of my kingdom, not yours…
John 16:23–24 (ESV)23 In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. 24 Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full. 
James 4:2–3 (ESV)You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions.
See how radically I answered the prayers of my disciples on this night!…
Acts 12:7 (ESV)And behold, an angel of the Lord stood next to him, and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him, saying, “Get up quickly.” And the chains fell off his hands.
Pray earnestly for the sake of my kingdom Jeff and see me answer.  See me work my wonders in your life!  Ask for that which serves your kingdom, your comfort, your idols, your distractions from me…and hear me not.

I will not share my glory with another. Acts 12:22–23


Be certain Jeff that you do not accept any glory for the work I do with you. See the example in Herod...
Acts 12:22–23 (ESV)22 And the people were shouting, “The voice of a god, and not of a man!” 23 Immediately an angel of the Lord struck him down, because he did not give God the glory, and he was eaten by worms and breathed his last.
From the ESV Study Bible-
because he did not give God the glory. In contrast to Peter’s instantaneous rejection of worship in 10:26, Herod receives this wrongful praise with delight. In both cases the instinctive response to an unexpected situation revealed the condition of the man’s heart.
Crossway Bibles. (2008). The ESV Study Bible (2108). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.
Jeff- draw near and ask that I secure your heart against the potential to have this natural response of accepting glory or of receiving praise with joy in your accomplishment…let this never be. Though I may not kill you, certainly you are separated from me in that moment and your heart evidences against you. 

From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
Thus great men are made an easy prey to flatterers if they lend an ear to them, and encourage them.
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ac 12:20–25). Peabody: Hendrickson.
Jeff- See that you do not flatter anyone who I use to speak to you. Know that hey are in a vulnerable place and that they are far better served by your quiet prayers and by your thankfulness to me than by a single word to them of their performance or the wonder of my use of them. Know that they receive their validation from me and there is no need to draw any attention to the flesh…see me, not them. Take heed and let not yourself be used by the enemy in this undermining of my chosen vessel. 

Application and Prayer:
  • Today I will thank you whenever one of your servants ministers to me.
  • Today I will avoid flattering any of your servants lest I unduly test their heart or tempt them.
  • Today I will ask that you check my heart always and keep me in a place where I understand my frailty and my inadequacy before you.
  • Today I will me mindful that the tabernacle of my heart must be blameless and I must be honest with myself regarding this. I must fear you first…only after this will you extend your hand and quell my fear with your grace.  This is the story you tell Lord.  First the law and the examples of your hatred of sin…then the cross.  Never shall I reverse the order or skip the first step in my own heart Lord.
  • Today I will pray Lord.  I will pray as if nothing happens without it.
Lord teach me these things to the depth of my soul. Let me pray earnestly and let it be the best thing I do for anyone. Let me pray with conviction and understanding that this is how you will receive glory. This is how you will bring blessing to others. Teach me Lord to guard my heart that I may dwell in the tent with you Lord. Teach me how to pass this to my children Lord that they never take your grace for granted. May I teach them first, always first, the fear of the Lord. May they understand that there is a reason that your grace and mercy are so amazing.  If I do not acknowledge your righteousness and your wrath and your hatred of the slightest sin that I would harbor in my heart then I know not of your grace. I know not of your mercy. Lord you bring such joy and tears when I would dwell on your wrath and your hatred of sin and how your love conquers. Thank you Lord for loving me so that you would kill your Son with all the wrath stored up against your creation.  Please let me walk in remembrance and holy fear of that wrath Lord, that I might adequately understand your grace and that I might reflect your glory.  In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!