Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

More than Words



Today's Reading: Lev. 4-6; Acts 14



Divine Unction- Acts 14:1
Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord please show me your message in the Word today and let me see the application for my life, amen.

Jeff, words may be spoken, sentences strung together wonderfully, but if my Spirit does not push the message into the hearts of the listeners, there is nothing done. Be sure to know that it is not the vessel doing the work. My Spirit will open eyes in my timing and I will grant divine unction to my surrendered vessel that brings my message with a pure heart and for my glory. As well taught by my servant E.M. Bounds, the sermon is made by the man- not the words. And the man is made by the Holy Spirit in the closet of prayer. A sermon brought from the head might be correct and well structured, but the man must come from the closet and bring a message direct from me if it should move hearts and tranform lives. See the example in Paul here…
Acts 14:1 (ESV)14 Now at Iconium they entered together into the Jewish synagogue and spoke in such a way that a great number of both Jews and Greeks believed.
Be certain Jeff, that you put all effort into meeting with me and tranforming your own heart and in knowing me. Waste not your time drafting messages when I am waiting in the tent of meeting…in the closet of that quiet place of prayer. So always pray and meet with me first, study comes second…do you think I speak most clearly in my Word? Perhaps you have not obeyed, perhaps you have not surrendered enough to hear my voice loudly enough yet. Draw near Jeff, draw near and hear my Spirit.



Some will respond and some resist- Acts 14:4

Acts 14:4 (ESV)But the people of the city were divided; some sided with the Jews and some with the apostles.
Do not be discouraged by those that do not respond positively Jeff. Simply pray and trust that I will work in those that I have called. Know that even amongst those you love- your example might bring the opposite effect that you hope for. This is ok, let me be concerned with this. Only be faithful and wait upon me.

From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
The influence which the gospel had upon many of the Gentiles, and their embracing it, as it provoked some of the Jews to a holy jealousy and stirred them up to receive the gospel too (Rom. 11:14), so it provoked others of them to a wicked jealousy, and exasperated them against the gospel. Thus as good instructions, so good examples, which to some are a savour of life unto life, to others are a savour of death unto death. See 2 Co. 2:15, 16
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ac 14:1–7). Peabody: Hendrickson.
See that Paul turned his message from the Old Testament history to my creation in order to make a case with the gentiles that knew little of my promises to Israel and the history of my covenant to Abraham. You also should know thta the exact same message is not appropriate for everyone you would encounter. Listen for my lead and I will give you the words. Consider your audience Jeff and know that it is good to relate to them. This could be your own family or co-workers where you need to give consideration to the message…the approach. For certain there is one gospel, but how you get there may vary. Hear Paul shift to convince the gentiles...
Acts 14:15 (ESV)15 “Men, why are you doing these things? We also are men, of like nature with you, and we bring you good news, that you should turn from these vain things to a living God, who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and all that is in them.
From Wiersbe's Commentary-
Note that he did not use the OT Scriptures as he did in the synagogue service, but rather reasoned with these Gentiles on the basis of God’s works in creation. Compare this sermon (given here in vv. 15–17 in brief) to Paul’s message in Athens (17:16–34) and his statements in Romans 1:20ff. The works of God in nature leave the heathen “without excuse.”
Wiersbe, W. W. (1997). Wiersbe's expository outlines on the New Testament (313). Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books.
Romans 1:20 (ESV)20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.


Discernment- Acts 14:9

Acts 14:9–10 (ESV)He listened to Paul speaking. And Paul, looking intently at him and seeing that he had faith to be made well, 10 said in a loud voice, “Stand upright on your feet.” And he sprang up and began walking.
Pray for my filling Jeff that you may have discernment as you encounter people in need. That you might know how it is you can serve them. Pray for a humble compassionate heart that would not wlk past someone who is hurting, someone who needs prayer or encouragement. Be there for them- pray, help, listen.



More than conversion- Acts 14:22

Acts 14:22 (ESV)22 strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying that through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God.
Follow this example Jeff. Know that conversion is only the beginning and that reaching the multitudes takes developing fishers of men. Know that converts need to find growth in me and men should band together to help one another be strengthened in this matter. Men should be employed in the business of making more disciples. 

From Wiersbe's Commentary-
Paul was able to say that the entire area had been evangelized! How did he do it? He won converts, established churches, and trained Christians how to do the job. See 1 Thes. 1–2 for another example.
Wiersbe, W. W. (1997). Wiersbe's expository outlines on the New Testament (315). Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books.


Application and Prayer:

  • Today I will pray more than study
  • Today I will seek to know my heart and know yours Lord
  • Today I will not be discouraged by any lack of response to my efforts or even strong resistance
  • Today I will listen for your voice and ask for discernment to recognize the person in need
  • Today I will seek to be a fisher of men and I will pray that many would make disciples and that we would multiply as you intended Lord
Thank you for your Word. Thank you for giving us such hope and such an example in your apostles. Teach me to follow their example and to know how it is I am to proceed with this mission to make disciples. In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for pointing out that convertion is the work of God and not ours. God's method uses his people to be his mouth piece so may all the saints declare his promises and see the fruit of Gods amazing power.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!