Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Hear and Obey


Today's Reading: Leviticus 7-9

Comments: I have posted from the OT reading I had planned to do yesterday but couldn't make the time. 

Hear and Obey- Leviticus 8:5


Leviticus 8:5–6 (ESV)And Moses said to the congregation, “This is the thing that the Lord has commanded to be done.” And Moses brought Aaron and his sons and washed them with water.

Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord please speak to me today in your Word and let me hear the application for my life, amen.

See Jeff that I present , in Moses, a pattern of hearing my command and then obeying. You read of my glory filling the tabernacle after he completed it's construction in obedience to my command. Here in Leviticus 8-9 you see that I will reveal my glory again in this obedience of establishing the priesthood. Notice Jeff that obedience results in further revelation in accordance with John 14:21. Know that you will fin more of my Holy Spirit's impact in your life, you will know my Son better as you surrender your will and as you find deeper obedience. 

This is critical Jeff. Do not exalt yourself to think that hearing is enough. Do not suppose that you can understand truth and not obey. You must know, for the sake of my love and my glory, that this belief will not draw you near and you will not abide. You can only walk in my Spirit with a humble and contrite heart as my prophet Isaiah announced in Isaiah 66:1-2. To suppose that you need not walk uprightly or that you need not tremble at my Word (value it above all else) is to deny yourself of the presence of my glory. Don't hold on to the mud pies Jeff at the cost of true love and true satisfaction in me.

See that Aaron and his sons needed to be ceremonially washed and anointed.  So too your heart needs this and it is my Son's blood that serves you here. But this takes confession and repentance Jeff…I will not be mocked.
Leviticus 8:30 (ESV)30 Then Moses took some of the anointing oil and of the blood that was on the altar and sprinkled it on Aaron and his garments, and also on his sons and his sons’ garments. So he consecrated Aaron and his garments, and his sons and his sons’ garments with him.
Remember Jeff that this physical tabernacle was a mere copy of my Son, and a copy of your heart. See that I am not talking about abstract vanity…I am speaking of real things here. I am speaking of your heart, your inner man, that houses my Holy Spirit. See that you provide a lovely and pure and blameless tabernacle.  
Hebrews 9:22–26 (ESV)22 Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.
23 Thus it was necessary for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these rites, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ has entered, not into holy places made with hands, which are copies of the true things, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God on our behalf. 25 Nor was it to offer himself repeatedly, as the high priest enters the holy places every year with blood not his own, 26 for then he would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
Be certain to put away Sin Jeff. Show that the washing was not a mere ceremony. Know that I actually despise the payment of sacrifice and long for obedience…
Isaiah 66:3–4 (ESV)  “He who slaughters an ox is like one who kills a man;
he who sacrifices a lamb, like one who breaks a dog’s neck;
  he who presents a grain offering, like one who offers pig’s blood;
he who makes a memorial offering of frankincense, like one who blesses an idol.
  These have chosen their own ways,
and their soul delights in their abominations;
  I also will choose harsh treatment for them
and bring their fears upon them,
  because when I called, no one answered,
when I spoke, they did not listen;
  but they did what was evil in my eyes
and chose that in which I did not delight.”
So Jeff, do not fool yourself in thinking that we are all good by your repeated confession and my continued grace…I want YOU, not your confessions. Give me your heart, not your regrets. It is then that you will know me. It is then that you will experience the wonder of my Holy Spirit. It is then that I will use you and it is then that you will soar. Do not think it haughty or prideful or even unachievable that you would have a pure and blameless heart Jeff…these are lies. I am calling you to be blameless and you will understand true humility when you walk in this way. Accepting an unclean heart and a twisted mind is not humility Jeff. 

Be humble before me in your understanding of who's kingdom you should serve, be contrite by offering obedience rather than sacrifice, tremble at my Word by valuing it above all…and see what I do. This is fear of the Lord and without this fear there is no understanding of my grace or my mercy. All understanding is clouded and deceptive without beginning with fearing me. Maybe you need to go back to step one Jeff…humble yourself. Do you sin all the more due to my grace…clearly you do not fear me. Clearly your understanding of my grace is wickedly tainted and unclear due to your arrogance. Humble yourself Jeff. I reached out to Peter and quelled his fear after he fell on his face before me, not before.
Leviticus 8:35 (ESV)35 At the entrance of the tent of meeting you shall remain day and night for seven days, performing what the Lord has charged, so that you do not die, for so I have been commanded.”
Jeff, see that it took seven days for Aaron and his sons to be consecrated in this priesthood. Do not think you can repair your heart or come to know what service I have for you in a 5 minute offering of your time. Know that I want your heart and I need to consecrate your heart. Meet me here in the closet of prayer Jeff. Meet me here and wait a time. Do not rush off…for where do you go? Where is there to be? Yes, since the first man you have always rushed off into your own kingdom and left me calling, "Where are you?" Do you think it a small work to consecrate your heart. Do you think it a small work to bring victory and surrender? Do you think it is you at work? Humble yourself. Drop your kingdom there in the dirt and follow me. You have mud pies Jeff. See that you will find there is no sweeter place than in this closet. You will only be waiting until you enter again.

Look at the picture now, see the example of obedience being the way to draw near...
Leviticus 9:6–7 (ESV)And Moses said, “This is the thing that the Lord commanded you to do, that the glory of the Lord may appear to you.” Then Moses said to Aaron, “Draw near to the altar and offer your sin offering and your burnt offering and make atonement for yourself and for the people, and bring the offering of the people and make atonement for them, as the Lord has commanded.”
See that they are obeying me and this leads to my glory manifesting…to me drawing near…to me revealing more of myself…
Leviticus 9:23–24 (ESV)23 And Moses and Aaron went into the tent of meeting, and when they came out they blessed the people, and the glory of the Lord appeared to all the people. 24 And fire came out from before the Lord and consumed the burnt offering and the pieces of fat on the altar, and when all the people saw it, they shouted and fell on their faces.
So see that the obedient sacrifice and the revelation brings humility and surrender. So to you should find this in your life. Know that your confession is acceptable, but I want your heart. My Son made the only sacrifice needed already and now it is yours to be purified and to walk humbly in light of this sacrifice and to understand that I am here. Do not walk in your old ways for you are new.
Hebrews 9:13–14 (ESV)13 For if the blood of goats and bulls, and the sprinkling of defiled persons with the ashes of a heifer, sanctify for the purification of the flesh, 14 how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God.
Let your inner man be cleansed and walk now free from dead works Jeff…serve the living God. Know that I am alive and I live within you and you have my Spirit Jeff. Humble yourself and live! Do not be fooled and still walk like a dead man.


Application and Prayer:

  • Today I will pray for a blameless heart
  • Today I will keep my heart as your tabernacle Lord
  • Today I will honor you and humble myself by choosing your kingdom over mine
  • Today I will be contrite and repentant of my sin and I will offer obedience instead of sacrifice
  • Today I will draw near and I will eagerly wait to see you draw near and fill this place
Thank you Lord for your amazing Word. Thank you Lord for your love and mercy. Please give me a blameless heart as I know that only you can accomplish this in me. Please break me and empty me Lord that you may use me according to your will. In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

2 comments:

  1. Psalm 139:7-12, "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, 'Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,' even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you." (NIV)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our agenda is to fix the world until it can properly take care of us. God's agenda is to bring all things together until every knee bows before him (Larry Crabb).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!