Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Awakening


Today's Reading: Acts 9


Acts 9:3–6 (ESV)Now as he went on his way, he approached Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven shone around him. And falling to the ground he heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” And he said, “Who are you, Lord?” And he said, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. But rise and enter the city, and you will be told what you are to do.”

Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord please show me what you would have me learn and apply from your Word today that I might be a doer of the Word, not just a hearer- amen.

From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
His name in Hebrew was Saul—desired, though as remarkably little in stature as his namesake king Saul was tall and stately; one of the ancients calls him, Homo tricubitalis—but four feet and a half in height; his Roman name which he went by among the citizens of Rome was Paul—little…His education was in the schools of Tarsus first, which was a little Athens for learning; there he acquainted himself with the philosophy and poetry of the Greeks. Thence he was sent to the university at Jerusalem, to study divinity and the Jewish law. His tutor was Gamaliel, an eminent Pharisee…This is the young man on whom the grace of God wrought this mighty change here recorded, about a year after the ascension of Christ, or little more. We are here told, 
I. How bad he was, how very bad, before his conversion; just before he was an inveterate enemy to Christianity, did his utmost to root it out, by persecuting all that embraced it…And so ill informed was his conscience that he thought he ought to do what he did against the name of Christ (ch.26:9) and that he did God service in it, as was foretold, Jn. 16:2.
2. His particular design upon the Christians at Damascus; thither was the gospel now lately carried by those that fled from the persecution at Stephen’s death, and thought to be safe and quiet there, and were connived at by those in power there: but Saul cannot be easy if he knows a Christian is quiet; and therefore, hearing that the Christians in Damascus were so, he resolves to give them disturbance...
How suddenly and strangely a blessed change was wrought in him, not in the use of any ordinary means, but by miracles. The conversion of Paul is one of the wonders of the church… 
Note, A humbling conviction of sin is the first step towards a saving conversion from sin. Secondly, He is convinced of one particular sin, which he was most notoriously guilty of, and had justified himself in, and thereby way is made for his conviction of all the rest. Thirdly, The sin he is convinced of is persecution: Why persecutest thou me? It is a very affectionate expostulation, enough to melt a heart of stone.
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ac 9:1–9). Peabody: Hendrickson.
Jeff, you must take note of this conversion. See that Paul was a murderer, and although he was ignorant of the truth- he was an enemy. I did not use my disciples to turn Paul but I appeared to him myself, in my Son. I can lay hold of the heart of the coldest man and ravish it in but a moment. I prefer that my church do this work but for Paul, this work was for me. My disciples were not safe to approach Him and thus I protected them from this man whom I set my will to use for my kingdom. Look again at how the light he saw shone bright at mid-day. Yes, the glory of the sun He put in the sky is darkness by comparison to my Son…
Acts 26:13 (ESV)13 At midday, O king, I saw on the way a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, that shone around me and those who journeyed with me.
From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
This light shone upon him suddenlyexaiphneµs, when Paul never thought of any such thing, and without any previous warning. Christ’s manifestations of himself to poor souls are many times sudden and very surprising, and he anticipates them with the blessings of his goodness. This the disciples that Christ called to himself found. Or ever I was aware, Cant. 6:12. (2.) It was a light from Heaven, the fountain of light, from the God of heaven, the Father of lights. It was a light above the brightness of the sun (ch.26:13), for it was visible at mid-day, and outshone the sun in his meridian strength and lustre, Isa. 24:23. (3.) It shone round about him, not in his face only, but on every side of him; let him turn which way he will, he finds himself surrounded with the discoveries of it. And this was designed not only to startle him, and awaken his attention (for well may he expect to hear when he is thus made to see something very extraordinary), but to signify the enlightening of his understanding with the knowledge of Christ.
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ac 9:1–9). Peabody: Hendrickson.
Some I will pull from the road as they travel along as if they are hit by a truck Jeff. Others I might woo over time and lightly water the seed. See Paul's response of surrender as he later testifies…
Acts 22:10 (ESV)10 And I said, ‘What shall I do, Lord?’ And the Lord said to me, ‘Rise, and go into Damascus, and there you will be told all that is appointed for you to do.’
Jeff this response to my call is all I am asking. There need not be full understanding of what my will is or what the future holds or how you are supposed to make changes. Merely come before me humble and broken, asking that I speak to you…trembling at my Word. I will tell you what you are appointed to do as we travel along together in this loving father-son relationship. Don't worry so much my son, just bring that mitt with you and I will show you my plan when we arrive (at the ball park)! Now tell me about this friend of yours that you eat lunch with at school…tell me about your life, Jeff. Do you think you could bring your friend over for lunch some time? I would love to meet him.
Acts 9:10–14 (ESV)10 Now there was a disciple at Damascus named Ananias. The Lord said to him in a vision, “Ananias.” And he said, “Here I am, Lord.” 11 And the Lord said to him, “Rise and go to the street called Straight, and at the house of Judas look for a man of Tarsus named Saul, for behold, he is praying, 12 and he has seen in a vision a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him so that he might regain his sight.” 13 But Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much evil he has done to your saints at Jerusalem. 14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on your name.”
From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
Surely, because Christ would employ variety of hands in eminent services, that the honours might not be monopolized nor engrossed by a few—because he would put work into the hands, and thereby put honour upon the heads, of those that were mean and obscure, to encourage them—and because he would direct us to make much of the ministers that are where our lot is cast, if they have ordained mercy to be faithful, though they are not of the most eminent.
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ac 9:10–22). Peabody: Hendrickson.
Jeff, see that I use all of my followers and each of you may need to wrestle with me to understand my calling. Know that we can have these discussions, in fact, I desire to dialogue with you in matters of my kingdom. See that I provided Ananias with comfort...
Acts 9:15–16 (ESV)15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel. 16 For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name.”
From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
Christ overrules the objection (v. 15, 16): “Do not tell me how bad he has been, I know it very well; but go thy way with all speed, and give him all the help thou canst, for he is a chosen vessel, or instrument, unto me; I design to put confidence in him, and then thou needest not fear him.’ ’ He was a vessel in which the gospel-treasure should be lodged, in order to the conveyance of it to many; an earthen vessel (2 Co. 4:7), but a chosen vessel.
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ac 9:10–22). Peabody: Hendrickson.
John 15:16 (ESV)16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.
So Ananias obeyed once he understood and he was faithful to deliver my important message to Paul. This had to occur Jeff- Paul needed welcome into the fellowship of believers for my church is one body... 
Acts 9:17 (ESV)17 So Ananias departed and entered the house. And laying his hands on him he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus who appeared to you on the road by which you came has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.”
From the Wiersbe Commentary-
Once convinced, Ananias lost no time going to the house of Judas and ministering to waiting Saul. The fact that he called him “brother” must have brought joy to the heart of the blinded Pharisee. Saul not only heard Ananias’ voice, but he felt his hands (Acts 9:12, 17).
Wiersbe, W. W. (1996). The Bible exposition commentary (Ac 9:10). Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books.
Once confirmed a a member of my body, Paul receives admonishment to answer the call he had received from Jesus. My people do this Jeff. They encourage one another to take action and they sharpen one another.
Acts 22:14–16 (ESV)14 And he said, ‘The God of our fathers appointed you to know his will, to see the Righteous One and to hear a voice from his mouth; 15 for you will be a witness for him to everyone of what you have seen and heard. 16 And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’
From the Wiersbe Commentary-
His conversion experience can be summarized in these statements: (1) He saw a light; (2) He heard a voice; (3) He obeyed a call. Every sinner is in the dark until the light of the Gospel shines on him. Paul heard the voice of the Lord through the Word of God, although Paul heard Christ speak audibly. (The men with him heard sounds, but did not hear the words.) How Christ humbled Paul! He “fell” not only physically but in his heart as well; for unless we fall in humility we cannot be saved.
Wiersbe, W. W. (1997). Wiersbe's expository outlines on the New Testament (299). Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books.
From the Teacher's Bible Commentary-
His conversion occurred in a.d. 34 (cf. chaps. 9, 22, 26)...
Truth for today.—To be “converted” is to be “turned around.” A Christian is one who has been “turned around” by Christ and faces in an opposite direction. Paul, the persecutor, has become a preacher! The world is constantly amazed at the change Jesus Christ makes in a life.
“Brother Saul” (v. 17). While some were suspicious, Ananias showed the true Christian spirit of accepting the new convert Saul on the face value of his profession of faith in Christ. This remains the mark of a true New Testament fellowship—the acceptance of a new believer as a brother in Christ on profession of faith. Yet often we withhold acceptance of the prostitute, the drunkard, the person of another race or social level, saying, “Let them prove their sincerity, first.”
Paschall, F. H., & Hobbs, H. H. (1972). The teacher's Bible commentary: A concise, thorough interpretation of the entire Bible designed especially for Sunday School teachers (695). Nashville: Broadman and Holman Publishers.
See the message of acceptance within the body Jeff. Do not let some one's past or their situation in life keep you from fellowship with them. That is not my design Jeff. 
Acts 9:19–22 (ESV)19 and taking food, he was strengthened.
For some days he was with the disciples at Damascus. 20 And immediately he proclaimed Jesus in the synagogues, saying, “He is the Son of God.” 21 And all who heard him were amazed and said, “Is not this the man who made havoc in Jerusalem of those who called upon this name? And has he not come here for this purpose, to bring them bound before the chief priests?” 22 But Saul increased all the more in strength, and confounded the Jews who lived in Damascus by proving that Jesus was the Christ.
From the Bible Knowledge Commentary-
Saul used his theological training to good advantage in pressing home the truth that the Lord Jesus is the Messiah. He had gone to Damascus to persecute the church; he ended up preaching Jesus. What a contrast! What grace! No wonder the Damascus Jews were baffled (synechynnen, “bewildered, confused,” from syncheō, used in the NT only in 2:6; 9:22; 21:27, 31).
Walvoord, J. F., Zuck, R. B., & Dallas Theological Seminary. (1983-). The Bible knowledge commentary : An exposition of the scriptures (Ac 9:22). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
1 Corinthians 9:16 (ESV)16 For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!
See how with paul I specifically charged him to action based on a reversal of his will to mine. He understood he was coming against the living God and that he now had indisputable charge directly from me…should he not obey? See the result of his preaching, his witness to my identity and my gospel...
Acts 9:31 (ESV)31 So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria had peace and was being built up. And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it multiplied.


Application and Prayer:

  • Today I will listen and obey both as Paul and as Ananias demonstrated.
  • Today I will enjoy the way that you change hearts.
  • Today I will celebrate the change you have made in my heart.
  • Today I will watch for people that need to meet you, father.
  • Today I will remember the error of not fellowshipping with someone due to their situation in life or their history.

Lord thank you again for your Word. Please put this application on my heart today and shine your light on me. Let me be witness to your amazing glory and help me to see the path to the ball park. May I take joy in this journey Lord and may I remember that it is about spending time with my heavenly father and welcoming others to enjoy his abundance, your abundance Lord.

In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria! 
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.



1 comment:

  1. Still praying for my brother Jeff....that his daily posts will be used to strengthen the brotherhood. (And you too Linda . Haha)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!