Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Friday, May 4, 2012

Where Shall I Dwell?


Today's Reading: Exodus 25-27; Acts 6


Exodus 25:8–9 (ESV)And let them make me a sanctuary, that I may dwell in their midst. Exactly as I show you concerning the pattern of the tabernacle, and of all its furniture, so you shall make it.

Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Dya in the Word): Lord, please open my eyes to see the application in your Word today and reveal yourself to me, amen.

From Wiersbe's Commentary-
In the Book of Genesis, it is recorded that God walked with His people (Gen. 3:8; 5:22, 24; 6:9; 17:1). But in Exodus, God said that He wanted to dwell with His people (Ex. 25:8; 29:46). The tabernacle built by Moses is the first of several dwellings that God blessed with His glorious presence (Ex. 40:34–38).
Wiersbe, W. W. (1993). Wiersbe's expository outlines on the Old Testament (Ex 25:1). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
Jeff- See that I gave specific direction to my people regarding this sanctuary where I would dwell in their midst Jeff. I take very seriously the preparation and the condition of my dwelling place…

From the ESV Study Bible-
The Tabernacle Tent: The entire tent was 45 feet (13.7 m) long, 15 feet (4.6 m) wide, and 15 feet (4.6 m) high. It was a wooden skeletal structure, overlaid with gold, with no solid roof or front wall (Ex. 26:15–29). Five wooden bars (overlaid with gold) passed through rings attached to each frame (Ex. 26:26–30).
Crossway Bibles. (2008). The ESV Study Bible (186). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles. 

Exodus 26:31–34 (ESV)31 “And you shall make a veil of blue and purple and scarlet yarns and fine twined linen. It shall be made with cherubim skillfully worked into it. 32 And you shall hang it on four pillars of acacia overlaid with gold, with hooks of gold, on four bases of silver. 33 And you shall hang the veil from the clasps, and bring the ark of the testimony in there within the veil. And the veil shall separate for you the Holy Place from the Most Holy. 34 You shall put the mercy seat on the ark of the testimony in the Most Holy Place.
Do you see that I have set aside a place for only the high priest to enter for making atonement for the people's sin? The mercy seat is in the Most Holy place Jeff...
Hebrews 9:6–9 (ESV)These preparations having thus been made, the priests go regularly into the first section, performing their ritual duties, but into the second only the high priest goes, and he but once a year, and not without taking blood, which he offers for himself and for the unintentional sins of the people. By this the Holy Spirit indicates that the way into the holy places is not yet opened as long as the first section is still standing (which is symbolic for the present age). According to this arrangement, gifts and sacrifices are offered that cannot perfect the conscience of the worshiper, 
Hebrews 9:12 (ESV)12 he entered once for all into the holy places, not by means of the blood of goats and calves but by means of his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption.
So my Son's death on the cross was the perfect sacrifice that atoned for your sin Jeff and there is no longer any need for this Most Holy place where a priest would make sacrifice for you...
Hebrews 10:19–22 (ESV)19 Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, 20 by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
See how beautiful the moment where He accomplished this was Jeff...
Matthew 27:50–51 (ESV)50 And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit.
51 And behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. And the earth shook, and the rocks were split.
From Wiersbe's Commentary-
The inner veil hung between the holy place and the holy of holies and was passed only once a year by the high priest on the Day of Atonement (Lev. 16). Hebrews 10:19–20 teaches that this veil represents our Lord Jesus Christ’s body which was given for us on the cross. When He offered up His spirit, the veil in the temple was torn from top to bottom, thus allowing anyone to come at any time into God’s presence (Matt. 27:50–51).
Wiersbe, W. W. (1993). Wiersbe's expository outlines on the Old Testament (Ex 26:31–37). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
So do you see Jeff that I do not need a dwelling place that you have constructed any longer? Do you see where it is that I dwell?
1 Corinthians 3:16 (ESV)16 Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?
From Wiersbe's Commentary-
The glory of God returned to earth in the Person of His Son, Jesus Christ (John 1:14, where “dwelt” means “tabernacled”), and men nailed Him to a cross. God’s people today are the temple of God, universally (Eph. 2:20–22), locally (1 Cor. 3:16), and individually (1 Cor. 6:19–20).
Wiersbe, W. W. (1993). Wiersbe's expository outlines on the Old Testament (Ex 25:1). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
So Jeff, having received my Spirit when you confessed my Son as Lord and accepted the gift of salvation, repenting of your former life of sin, from that moment you have been a temple...
1 Corinthians 6:19–20 (ESV)19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. 
2 Corinthians 7:1 (ESV)Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God.
Do you see that as my temple I care greatly how you are living? Do you suppose that my glory will be full in a dirty, vile temple? Do you suppose that my Spirit will work mightily in a place that you claim for yourself? Your body is not your own Jeff. You need to understand who it is that lives in you and understand the fear of the Lord. Take not lightly your sin, Jeff.

Jeff- if you desire to be filled with my Spirit in fullness and power like the disciples in the first century were, then listen to my prophet Isaiah…
Isaiah 66:1–2 (ESV)66 Thus says the Lord:
  “Heaven is my throne,
and the earth is my footstool;
  what is the house that you would build for me,
and what is the place of my rest?
  All these things my hand has made,
and so all these things came to be,
declares the Lord.
  But this is the one to whom I will look:
he who is humble and contrite in spirit
and trembles at my word.
Jeff- See that I do not look for something that man has made to dwell in. I have determined that you are my temple, but if you expect to be filled to overflowing then you must be humble and contrite before me and you must value my Word above everything else on earth- you must tremble at my Word. Do you understand what I am saying Jeff? You must tremble as if I stand before you speaking it to you and you hear it although you are on the ground covering your face that you might not be destroyed in my holy presence.  Do you suppose that Moses had time to carefully consider the words I spoke to Him in person or that he had to check a box and then rush off to his next appointment?

Jeff, if you do not humble yourself and understand that you are the branch and I the vine- that you can accomplish nothing for my kingdom apart from me, that you must surrender your will entirely to me, that you are incapable of pleasing me without dying to yourself and allowing my Son to live through you, then I will look to someone else.

Jeff my servant Andrew Murray says this regarding this surrender…

From Absolute Surrender (1898)-
"Denying self must every moment be the power of your life, and then Christ will come in and take possession of you… God the Father gives us the power of the Spirit. We have the Spirit of God dwelling within us. We come to God confessing that, and praising God for it, and yet confessing how we have grieved the Spirit. And then we bow our knees to the father to ask that He would strengthen us with all might by the Spirit in the inner man, and that He would fill us with His mighty power."


Application and Prayer:

  • Today I will walk with the understanding that I am the temple of God.
  • Today I will hate sin and deny myself, choosing the greater joy and satisfaction- found in You Lord.
  • Today I will humble myself and understand that I am unable to serve as your temple Lord.
  • Today I will value your Word above all else, as if you stood before me speaking it, and teach my family to do the same.

Lord thank you for revealing yourself and your truth. Lord, I don't know how to proceed with this understanding of your Word- how do I walk away and go off to work, to the retreat, to whatever it is when your Word is there before me waiting to reveal your heart to me? Thank you Lord for this hunger. Please continue to build in me a drive to know you Lord and let me tremble at your Word all the more each day. Please fill me with your Spirit and may He empower me to deny myself every moment Lord. Please show me how to live like this and help me to teach others Lord.

In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.



1 comment:

  1. Jeff may God do a great work in us men at this retreat. Im glad to be spending some time with you in it. Praying for you and your time sharing your testimony.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!