Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Monday, May 28, 2012

Pray, Fast, Listen, Do...



Today's Reading: Lev. 1-3Acts 13



Pray, Fast, Listen, Do...then Pray More! 


Acts 13:2 (ESV)While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” 

Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord please reveal the application for me in your Word today, amen.

Jeff, see that the Holy Spirit spoke clearly to those that were committed to prayer and fasting.  These that were, no doubt, considering how it was that they were to fulfill my Son's commission to them. Know that you also should be focused on me and be spending time in reflective prayer and fasting if you want clear direction from my Holy Spirit concerning how you are to impact this world for my kingdom.  Is there something greater you are to be employed with?  He will guide you Jeff but you need to acknowledge your greater need for spiritual feeding than for physical feeding.  

From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
Ministering to the Lord, in one way or other, ought to be the stated business of churches and their teachers; to this work time ought to be set apart, nay, it is set apart, and in this work we ought to spend some part of every day. What have we to do as Christians and ministers but to serve the Lord Christ? Col. 3:24; Rom. 14:18. (3.) Religious fasting is of use in our ministering to the Lord, both as a sign of our humiliation and a means of our mortification. Though it was not so much practised by the disciples of Christ, while the bridegroom was with them, as it was by the disciples of John and of the Pharisees; yet, after the bridegroom was taken away, they abounded in it, as those that had well learned to deny themselves and to endure hardness.
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ac 13:1–3). Peabody: Hendrickson.
Acts 13:3 (ESV)Then after fasting and praying they laid their hands on them and sent them off.
Now see that once the direction was understood there was a commissioning by the church in support of my Son's great commission already delivered.  See that you should come along side one another and provide support and encouragement in your efforts for the kingdom.  Be certain to support those in my service in prayer.  Be certain to seek out their needs and participate in the service by supporting them.  Recall that you should avoid flattery in this, however. 

From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
So here, Simeon, and Lucius, and Manaen, faithful teachers at this time in the church of Antioch, when they had fasted and prayed, laid their hands on Barnabas and Saul, and sent them away (v. 3), according to the directions received. Observe, 1. They prayed for them. When good men are going forth about good work, they ought to be solemnly and particularly prayed for, especially by their brethren that are their fellow-labourers and fellow-soldiers. 2. They joined fasting with their prayers, as they did in their other ministrations, v. 3. Christ has taught us this by his abstaining from sleep (a night-fast, if I may so call it) the night before he sent forth his apostles, that he might spend it in prayer. 3. They laid their hands on them. Hereby, (1.) They gave them their manumission, dismission, or discharge from the present service they were engaged in, in the church of Antioch, acknowledging that they went off not only fairly and with consent, but honourably and with a good report.
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ac 13:1–3). Peabody: Hendrickson.
Acts 13:4 (ESV)So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia, and from there they sailed to Cyprus.
Those that hear my voice and respond will be blessed in their doing Jeff.  See how these men took action and set our in faith to fulfill this calling.  You too have a calling to make disciples. You have a calling to lead your family. You have a calling to surrender all. Do not merely hear me Jeff, but be a doer who is richly blessed…
James 1:22–25 (ESV)22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. 24 For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. 25 But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.
Paul and Barnabas answered the call and when they saw the opportunity to share the gopsel…they jumped on it.  As should you Jeff. Paul boldly proclaimed Jesus to the Jews and God fearing gentiles alike…
Acts 13:16 (ESV)16 So Paul stood up, and motioning with his hand said:
“Men of Israel and you who fear God, listen.
 
Acts 13:26 (ESV)26 “Brothers, sons of the family of Abraham, and those among you who fear God, to us has been sent the message of this salvation. 
Acts 13:38–39 (ESV)38 Let it be known to you therefore, brothers, that through this man forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, 39 and by him everyone who believes is freed from everything from which you could not be freed by the law of Moses.
He made it clear that they were in need of Jesus.  At his second message the Jews resisted…
Acts 13:46–47 (ESV)46 And Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly, saying, “It was necessary that the word of God be spoken first to you. Since you thrust it aside and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles. 47 For so the Lord has commanded us, saying,
  “ ‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles,
that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’ ”
Some may not want to hear the message Jeff. You are only accountable to deliver it, I am the one who calls them to myself.  I am the one who opens the eyes. I am the one who chooses...
Acts 13:48 (ESV)48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.
From the Bible Knowledge Commentary-
The Gentiles rejoiced in this turn of events and all who were appointed for eternal life believed. It is difficult to miss the doctrine of God’s election here; the words “were appointed” come from the verb tassō, a military word meaning “to arrange” or “to assign.” Luke used it here to show that God’s elective decree included Gentiles.
Walvoord, J. F., Zuck, R. B., & Dallas Theological Seminary. (1983-). The Bible knowledge commentary : An exposition of the scriptures (Ac 13:48). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
Application and Prayer:
  • Today I will pray and consider the need for fasting to better know your calling.
  • Today I will listen for your direction and do it.
  • Today I will pray for those that are serving you in ministry.
  • Today I will encourage those around me in their service to you.
  • Today I will not hold myself accountable for outcomes, but only faithfulness.
  • Today I will not accept any glory for outcomes but will praise you as the one who chooses and who makes the seed of your Word grow.
Thank you for choosing me Lord.  Thank you that salvation is your doing, not mine. Thank you for allowing me to partake in your work.  Please help me to know where it is and how it is you would have me fulfill your great commission.  Help me to know how it is that you would have me serve and bless my family.  Show me how it is that you would have me love my wife.  In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this study. it resinated with me. Keep up the hard work. Praying for you brother.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!