Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Be Filled and Trust Only in Me


Today's Reading: Exodus 17-20; Acts 3


Exodus 17:6–7 (ESV)Behold, I will stand before you there on the rock at Horeb, and you shall strike the rock, and water shall come out of it, and the people will drink.” And Moses did so, in the sight of the elders of Israel. And he called the name of the place Massah and Meribah, because of the quarreling of the people of Israel, and because they tested the Lord by saying, “Is the Lord among us or not?”

Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord please reveal your purpose for me today in your Word, amen.

Jeff- Notice the beautiful illustration of the baptism and filling of the Holy Spirit that is demonstrated in this historical account of the water flowing from the rock (both times)...
1 Corinthians 10:4–5 (ESV)and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ. Nevertheless, with most of them God was not pleased, for they were overthrown in the wilderness.
So see that Jesus is represented by the rock and that the rock was struck as representation of sin striking Christ on the cross as He gave Himself up for you
Exodus 4:2–3 (ESV)The Lord said to him, “What is that in your hand?” He said, “A staff.” And he said, “Throw it on the ground.” So he threw it on the ground, and it became a serpent, and Moses ran from it.
From Wiersbe-
...the smiting of the rock speaks of Christ’s death on the cross, where He felt the rod of the curse of the law. (It was this same rod, you will recall, that turned into a serpent, Ex. 4:2–3, and that helped to bring the plagues on Egypt.)
Wiersbe, W. W. (1993). Wiersbe's expository outlines on the Old Testament (Ex 17:1–7). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
Jeff- be sure to recognize that Christ dies only once just as you are baptised by the Holy Spirit only once at conversion where I send my Spirit to dwell in you…
Romans 6:9–10 (ESV)We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. 10 For the death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God. 
Hebrews 9:26–28 (ESV)26 for then he would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. 27 And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, 28 so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.
Therefore, Moses sinned when He did not listen to my instruction regarding the second time he was to take water from the rock. I instructed him to only speak to the rock in order for the water to flow…
Numbers 20:7–8 (ESV)and the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, “Take the staff, and assemble the congregation, you and Aaron your brother, and tell the rock before their eyes to yield its water. So you shall bring water out of the rock for them and give drink to the congregation and their cattle.” 
Numbers 20:11–12 (ESV)11 And Moses lifted up his hand and struck the rock with his staff twice, and water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their livestock. 12 And the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not believe in me, to uphold me as holy in the eyes of the people of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land that I have given them.”
Jeff- do you see that the water represents the Holy Spirit?
John 7:37–39 (ESV)37 On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’ ” 39 Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
So Jeff, you too should come to my Son and ask for a filling of my Holy Spirit. See that the filling of the Holy Spirit is continual and requires that you abide in me and ask for His filling...
Ephesians 5:18 (ESV)18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit,
From ESV Study Bible-
The command in Greek (plērousthe) is a present imperative and does not describe a onetime “filling” but a regular pattern of life.
Crossway Bibles. (2008). The ESV Study Bible (2271). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles. 
present The verb tense where the writer portrays an action in process or a state of being with no assessment of the action’s completion.
Heiser, M. S. (2005; 2005). Glossary of Morpho-Syntactic Database Terminology. Logos Bible Software.
John 15:4–5 (ESV)Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
Galatians 5:22–25 (ESV)22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit.
So Jeff, be certain to surrender your will to mine as the branch to the vine. Be certain to abide in me through prayer and study of my Word and you shall be filled with my Spirit. Only then will you bear fruit and have a spirit filled life. You have my Spirit from the time of salvation, but that is not the end of the story Jeff. Please don't waste your life on earth lacking the filling of my Holy Spirit.



Moses Intercedes-


Exodus 17:11–13 (ESV)11 Whenever Moses held up his hand, Israel prevailed, and whenever he lowered his hand, Amalek prevailed. 12 But Moses’ hands grew weary, so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it, while Aaron and Hur held up his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side. So his hands were steady until the going down of the sun. 13 And Joshua overwhelmed Amalek and his people with the sword.
See Jeff that Jesus now intercedes on your behalf as Moses did for Israel against the Amalikites. Jesus does not grow weary and He requires no assistance! Trust that you have a Savior that cares for you and intercedes...
Romans 8:34 (ESV)34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.


Have no idols-


Exodus 20:4–6 (ESV)“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.
So Jeff be sure never to allow idols in your life again because there are sever consequences that extend to your children. Remember that anything you hold with greater value than me is an idol. To put anything before me is to hate me. Remember my Son said you had to hate your family in order to follow me.



By faith in His name-


See that the apostles were empowered to perform miracles in order to validate their message and that it was their faith in my Son that allowed them to perform these signs...
Acts 3:16 (ESV)16 And his name—by faith in his name—has made this man strong whom you see and know, and the faith that is through Jesus has given the man this perfect health in the presence of you all.
From ESV Study Bible-
His name, in the full biblical sense of “name,” means everything that is true about the person, and therefore, in a sense, the person himself. By faith in his name refers to Peter’s faith rather than to any faith on the part of the lame man. Jesus healed the man, and faith (or trust) in Jesus also healed the man, because Jesus worked through Peter’s faith. the faith that is through Jesus. Jesus himself imparts this kind of miracle-working faith to people’s hearts.
Crossway Bibles. (2008). The ESV Study Bible (2086). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.
You too should put faith in my Son Jeff and live this life to Him, not yourself…
Galatians 2:20 (ESV)20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Application and Prayer to be added later today...

Or maybe not! I never got back to this and have moved on. I need to choose not to dwell on my performance and rest in His grace. 

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!