Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Be Filled With Boldness


Today's Reading: Exodus 21-22; Acts 4


Exodus 22:25 (ESV)25 “If you lend money to any of my people with you who is poor, you shall not be like a moneylender to him, and you shall not exact interest from him.

Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord please show me what it is you would have me take away from your Word today. Give me eyes to see that your Holy Spirit would lead me, amen.

Jeff- In this passage I laid out social rules for my people and the values here are valid even today. Know that when you help someone that is poor or in a tough spot you shall not be looking for any personal gain. This offends me because I take care of the birds in the sky and I take care of all mankind without any need to receive from anyone. Remember that I am whole, that I am complete in myself, that I need nothing, that I need no one. In the trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit I am a God of community. I am a God of relationship and I am not in need of receiving anything from my creation. However, I do desire that my creation experience me and this is the reason I made you…not for me. It is my good pleasure to allow you to experience me.

See the practical application of this social direction I gave...
Leviticus 25:35–37 (ESV)35 “If your brother becomes poor and cannot maintain himself with you, you shall support him as though he were a stranger and a sojourner, and he shall live with you. 36 Take no interest from him or profit, but fear your God, that your brother may live beside you. 37 You shall not lend him your money at interest, nor give him your food for profit.
So know Jeff that I expect you to support a brother that cannot maintain himself. Search me and determine what this looks like Jeff. Also note the implications of my laws on the topic of life in the womb…
Exodus 21:22–25 (ESV)22 “When men strive together and hit a pregnant woman, so that her children come out, but there is no harm, the one who hit her shall surely be fined, as the woman’s husband shall impose on him, and he shall pay as the judges determine. 23 But if there is harm, then you shall pay life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.
See that I created you in the womb and I had your life already laid before you. How then can the taking of this unborn life be acceptable Jeff?
Psalm 139:13–16 (ESV) 13  For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.
 14  I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
 15  My frame was not hidden from you,
  when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
 16  Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
  in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them.


Peter and John give account before the Sanhedrin after healing a crippled man-


Acts 4:8–12 (ESV)Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, “Rulers of the people and elders, if we are being examined today concerning a good deed done to a crippled man, by what means this man has been healed, 10 let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead—by him this man is standing before you well. 11 This Jesus is the stone that was rejected by you, the builders, which has become the cornerstone. 12 And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”
Jeff- see the boldness that I gave Peter as he gave account before the priests. He immediately points out that murderers are questioning him about why or how it is that he is healing. The irony is thick and Peter does not mind pointing it out. He very clearly points out that it is by the name of Jesus that they perform any miracles because their message has nothing to do with themselves. Peter lays it down very firmly that the priests are in need of salvation that cannot be found in the law under their current mosaic covenant but that only by the blood of the cross must they be saved. Jeff do you see that my servants feared not?!!! Jeff, do you display this level of boldness in your life? Are you willing to take a stand for me and proclaim my gospel to the glory of my name?

Jeff, do you also remember that this is Peter, the one who denied me before man three times on the day of my Son's crucifixion? The one who relied on his own strength and therefore failed when it became difficult. 
Luke 22:34 (ESV)34 Jesus said, “I tell you, Peter, the rooster will not crow this day, until you deny three times that you know me.” 
Luke 22:60–62 (ESV)60 But Peter said, “Man, I do not know what you are talking about.” And immediately, while he was still speaking, the rooster crowed. 61 And the Lord turned and looked at Peter. And Peter remembered the saying of the Lord, how he had said to him, “Before the rooster crows today, you will deny me three times.” 62 And he went out and wept bitterly.
Do you see a difference in this man? You now see a man who is surrendered to me . You now see a man who has been baptized by the Holy Spirit…Know that this boldness only comes by my indwelling Spirit Jeff.

From Luke the Historian Commentary-
“there is salvation in no one else” This is a strong DOUBLE NEGATIVE. There is no salvation in Abraham or Moses (cf. John 14:6; I Tim. 2:5). What a shocking claim! It is very restrictive but also very obvious that Jesus believed that only through a personal relationship with Himself can one know God. Peter boldly proclaims this to that elite Jewish leadership. This has often been called the exclusivistic scandal of Christianity. There is no middle ground here. This statement is true or Christianity is false!
Utley, R. J. D. (2003). Vol. Volume 3B: Luke the Historian: The Book of Acts. Study Guide Commentary Series (69). Marshall, Texas: Bible Lessons International.
Acts 4:13–14 (ESV)13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated, common men, they were astonished. And they recognized that they had been with Jesus. 14 But seeing the man who was healed standing beside them, they had nothing to say in opposition.
Jeff, live in a manner that would cause others to recognize that you have been with me. It does not take education and skill, rather it takes the filling of the Holy Spirit by prayer and surrender to my will.
John 7:15 (ESV)15 The Jews therefore marveled, saying, “How is it that this man has learning, when he has never studied?”
See how the priests were blown away at the way Peter and John spoke without having scholarly training? Remember my words...
Luke 12:11–12 (ESV)11 And when they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and the authorities, do not be anxious about how you should defend yourself or what you should say, 12 for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.” 
Luke 21:15 (ESV)15 for I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which none of your adversaries will be able to withstand or contradict.
So know Jeff that I keep my promises. Know that I am faithful. Know that I am aware of all things and nothing escapes me. See the final statement of bold commitment to my calling given by Peter and John as they reject the command from the Sanhedrin that they stop preaching in the name of my Son...
Acts 4:18–20 (ESV)18 So they called them and charged them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. 19 But Peter and John answered them, “Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you rather than to God, you must judge, 20 for we cannot but speak of what we have seen and heard.”


They prayed for boldness-


See how the community of believers come together and pray...
Acts 4:27–29 (ESV)27 for truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, 28 to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place. 29 And now, Lord, look upon their threats and grant to your servants to continue to speak your word with all boldness,
Do you see Jeff that they understand the balance of my sovereignty and free will? Know that nothing happens outside of my control Jeff. I am not a God with an unknown future that awaits or even peers forward at the actions of my creation. Yet, I allow free will and there is accountability for sin.  Take comfort Jeff in this fact that I am sovereign- this should be a source of great joy and peace.  
Acts 2:23 (ESV)23 this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men. 
Isaiah 46:10 (ESV) 10  declaring the end from the beginning
and from ancient times things not yet done,
  saying, ‘My counsel shall stand,
and I will accomplish all my purpose,’
From Luke the Historian Commentary-
Predestination is not a doctrine meant to limit God’s love, grace, and mercy, nor to exclude some from the gospel. It is meant to strengthen believers by molding their world view. God’s love is for all mankind (cf. I Tim. 2:4; II Pet. 3:9). God is in control of all things. Who or what can separate us from Him (cf. Rom. 8:31–39)? …God views all history as present. Humans are time-bound. Our perspective and mental abilities are limited. There is no contradiction between God’s sovereignty and mankind’s free will…We must not remove the tension by picking one of the truths. We must not isolate any biblical truth into a compartment by itself.
Utley, R. J. D. (2003). Vol. Volume 3B: Luke the Historian: The Book of Acts. Study Guide Commentary Series (72). Marshall, Texas: Bible Lessons International.
From the ESV Study Bible-
These things were predestined by God, yet the human beings who did them were morally “lawless” (see 2:23, 36); they were responsible for their evil deeds (see 3:13–15); and they needed to “repent” (see 2:38; 3:19). This prayer reflects both a deep acknowledgment of human responsibility and a deep trust in God’s wisdom in his sovereign direction of the detailed events of history.
Crossway Bibles. (2008). The ESV Study Bible (2089). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.
Notice Jeff that the filling of the Spirit to give them more of the same boldness displayed by Peter and John come by request, by prayer.  Also notice that they are asking for something they already seemed to have…this makes it clear that they don't know how they just did that! Or better, that they know it was only y the grace of God and the filling of the Spirit that they had the words to say and the boldness to proclaim it in the face of such danger...
Acts 4:31 (ESV)31 And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness.
From the ESV Study Bible-
The Holy Spirit’s power did not come on them automatically but in answer to their expectant, believing prayer.
Crossway Bibles. (2008). The ESV Study Bible (2089). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.
Ephesians 6:18–19 (ESV)18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, 19 and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel,


Application and Prayer:

  • Today I will ask you Lord for boldness.
  • Today I will ask you Lord to fill me with your Spirit.
  • Today Lord I will ask that He empower me to fulfill your predestined plan for me.
  • Today I will be generous and merciful without seeking gain.
  • Today I will pray for my fellow brothers and sister's that they would be given words and boldness to proclaim your gospel.
  • Today I will remember that you value the unborn child as someone you have created a plan for and I will understand that you allow sinful actions by the free will of your creation.
  • Today I will not separate your powerful and loving sovereignty from the merciful and patient allowance you have for the free will of your creation. This means I will not get stuck on either point for contemplating you only partially.
Lord, thank you for your Word and for the way you reveal yourself. Please let me learn from Peter and John. Let me especially learn from how Peter was radically transformed after he denied you and then wept bitterly when you looked at him. Please transform me by your Holy Spirit as you transformed Peter Lord. Bless this day ahead of me Lord and allow me to walk in the light being conformed today to the image of your Son. Please give me the humility to empty myself and be filled.  In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.



1 comment:

  1. Good Stuff! Thanks for your heart to chase after the lost Dustin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!