Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Monday, April 30, 2012

Receive My Spirit and Walk in the Light


Today's Reading: Exodus 14-16; Acts 2



Exodus 14:4 (ESV)
And I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, and he will pursue them, and I will get glory over Pharaoh and all his host, and the Egyptians shall know that I am the Lord.” And they did so.


Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord please illuminate your Word today and show me what you want me to take away, amen.


Jeff- see again how I hardened Pharaoh's heart and know that I am sovereign. Pharaoh chased after my people and I swallowed the Egyptians in the Red Sea.
Romans 9:17–18 (ESV)17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills. 
Romans 9:22–23 (ESV)22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory—
So Jeff, my ways are higher than your ways and I know you cannot comprehend how free will and my love fully pairs up with my sovereignty and this concept that I prepare people beforehand for glory or wrath. Don't stumble over this Jeff, know that nothing is impossible to me. Remember that I sent my only Son to the cross- so don't question my love.



My provision...

I will always provide for you Jeff. See how I provided for my people in the desert  until I brought them into Canaan where they no longer needed the manna I delivered from heaven...
Exodus 16:13–15 (ESV)13 In the evening quail came up and covered the camp, and in the morning dew lay around the camp. 14 And when the dew had gone up, there was on the face of the wilderness a fine, flake-like thing, fine as frost on the ground. 15 When the people of Israel saw it, they said to one another, “What is it?” For they did not know what it was. And Moses said to them, “It is the bread that the Lord has given you to eat. 
Exodus 16:35 (ESV)35 The people of Israel ate the manna forty years, till they came to a habitable land. They ate the manna till they came to the border of the land of Canaan. 
Joshua 5:12 (ESV)12 And the manna ceased the day after they ate of the produce of the land. And there was no longer manna for the people of Israel, but they ate of the fruit of the land of Canaan that year.
Jeff, I had them collect new bread each morning and it would not last until the next day so therefore my people had to trust me each day to provide and they came to me for this daily feeding. So you should come to me daily to receive my feeding…
Deuteronomy 8:3 (ESV)And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.


The promised helper arrives...


Acts 2:4–8 (ESV)And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language?
Jeff- This baptism of the Spirit is what Jesus had promised and it united the believers as one body- The beginning of the church!
1 Corinthians 12:13–14 (ESV)13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.
14 For the body does not consist of one member but of many.
From the Bible Knowledge Commentary-
This event marked the beginning of the church. Up to this point the church was anticipated (Matt. 16:18). The church is constituted a body by means of Spirit baptism (1 Cor. 12:13). The first occurrence of the baptism of the Spirit therefore must indicate the inauguration of the church.
Walvoord, J. F., Zuck, R. B., & Dallas Theological Seminary. (1983-). The Bible knowledge commentary : An exposition of the scriptures (Ac 2:4). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
From the Bible Exposition Commentary-
The baptism of the Spirit is that act of God by which He identified believers with the exalted Head of the church, Jesus Christ, and formed the spiritual body of Christ on earth (1 Cor. 12:12–14). Historically, this took place at Pentecost; today, it takes place whenever a sinner trusts Jesus Christ and is born again…Water baptism is a public witness of the person’s identification with Jesus Christ, while Spirit baptism is the personal and private experience that identifies the person with Christ.
Wiersbe, W. W. (1996). The Bible exposition commentary (Ac 2:2). Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books.
So Jeff, baptism by water is not magical and does not bring salvation. However, baptism by the spirit is required- This is where anyone becomes "saved". This is where they receive my Son. This is where I come to dwell in the believer and seal them for my kingdom…
Romans 8:9 (ESV)You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. 
Ephesians 4:30 (ESV)30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption
See that Peter teaches repentance and baptism at pentecost…
Acts 2:37–39 (ESV)37 Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” 38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.”
Jeff- This repentance I speak of is a turning away from the former life of self. It is a turning away from trusting in self. It is a turning away from sin and looking on the face of my Son. This repentance should absolutely be sincere and then my Spirit will empower the believer to walk as a new creation. No longer living the same way as before. Jeff, do not let the enemy deceive you and make you think that I do not call you to walk in the light for the rest of your days...
John 8:12 (ESV)12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” 
Ephesians 5:8 (ESV)for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light 
1 John 1:6 (ESV)If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.


Application and prayer:
• Today I will trust the Lord for my provision.
Today I will seek Him in His Word as needed sustenance.
Today I will choose the light and will take my thoughts captive to be obedient to the Lord.

Thank you Lord for revealing yourself in your Word. Please empower me today by your Holy Spirit to walk in the light and to fulfill your calling. Please continue to develop this hunger for your Word that I might truly see it as the most valuable thing on earth. In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!