Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Monday, April 9, 2012

Be as The Worm on The Hook

Today's Reading: Genesis 12-14, Luke 5

Luke 5:2-11
and he saw two boats by the lake, but the fishermen had gone out of them and were washing their nets. 3 Getting into one of the boats, which was Simon 's, he asked him to put out a little from the land. And he sat down and taught the people from the boat. 4 And when he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.” 5 And Simon answered, “ Master, we toiled all night and took nothing! But at your word I will let down the nets.” 6 And when they had done this, they enclosed a large number of fish, and their nets were breaking. 7 They signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink. 8 But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, “ Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.” 9 For he and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish that they had taken, 10 and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.” 11 And when they had brought their boats to land, they left everything and followed him.




Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word):

Jeff, I will sometimes ask you to do things you don't understand.  Peter had just toiled all night in vain and I asked him to go back, this time with me, and try again.  Do you see Peter's obedience in spite of his knowledge that he was himself unable to catch fish there?  Peter knew there were no fish to be caught there, yet he obeyed and against every impulse he pushed off and cast the net.

Jeff, this is the type of obedience I call you to.  Peter hardly knew me at this point...how do you know me?  Do you see that I taught them in the boat?  In the midst of this fishing expedition I took time to demonstrate the need for meditating on the Word of God for guidance in all that we do.  Jeff- do you consult the Word in all that you do?  Do you share this insight with other fishermen?

Jeff, do you see that when Peter emptied himself and trusted me to do the catching, there was a multitude?  You need to realize that you are unable...incapable...but can do all things through me.

John 15:5
I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through him who strengthens me.


Jeff, if you try to catch men in your own strength you will fail.  You simply need to let me do it in you.

Jeff, do you see how Peter called the other men over to help...you need a band of brothers working in this service.  You must support each other and bless each other in this labor.  I did not call Peter out on his own to catch these fish did I?  Who do you see that I am calling out with you?  Try alone Jeff and you are leaving me at the shoreline as well.  You can do nothing apart from me.

Jeff, do you see that Peter did not cut the net?  When the first boat began to sink, even the second, you did not see Peter cut the net to save themselves or their boats.  Are you going to risk for my gospel?  Are you willing to sink the boat?  How much can the boat hold?  Where do you get this idea of how much the boat can hold...from man or from God?  Do you read that the men swam back to shore and all the fish sank with the boats?  They brought their boats to land...trust me.

Jeff, humble yourself before me.  Peter fell to my knees when he realized who I was.  Do you know who I am?  Do you therefore think to brush aside my teaching?  Do you therefore sometimes consult me when times are difficult?  Do you therefore make time for me every other monday?  Do you know what your sin looks like to me?  Do you know how my Father punishes sin?  Do you know that I receive that punishment with joy?  See Jeff how some others before you reacted in the presence of God...

Exodus 20:18-20
Now when all the people saw the thunder and the flashes of lightning and the sound of the trumpet and the mountain smoking, the people were afraid and trembled, and they stood far off 19 and said to Moses, “You speak to us, and we will listen; but do not let God speak to us, lest we die.” 20 Moses said to the people, “Do not fear, for God has come to test you, that the fear of him may be before you, that you may not sin.”

Isaiah 6:4-5
And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke. 5 And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!”

Ezekiel 1:28
Like the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud on the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness all around.
Such was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. And when I saw it, I fell on my face, and I heard the voice of one speaking.


And there is Peter Jeff.  Peter knew the fear of the Lord immediately.  What he then destroyed because of his sin?  No- I intervened.  I took the paralyzing fear away and left behind the humility and brokenness.  I then encouraged him that as a humble, empty vessel he would now become a fisher of men.  Jeff, you cannot be sent out in mighty service until and unless you are humbled before me.  There is absolutely no room for you.  It must be I that lives in you.  What is it that you plan to add?  Yes...but I love you and choose to show you my glory.

Do you recall that I put a thorn in Paul's side to maintain his humility?

2 Corinthians 12:6-9
though if I should wish to boast, I would not be a fool, for I would be speaking the truth; but I refrain from it, so that no one may think more of me than he sees in me or hears from me. 7 So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. 9 But he said to me, “ My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.


The service of being a fisher of men requires this continued humility that I can provide.  Just look honestly at my face and you will find it, as Peter did the night I was delivered to be crucified.  That was the moment Peter surrendered.  He was a devoted disciple for years but he was yet fleshly and even selfish.

How about you Jeff?  I demonstrated in Peter that there is a deeper surrender than accepting my gift on the cross.  Do you now surrender everything that you are...do you find yourself completely broken and in absolute reliance on me for every part of what you call your life?  Are you a branch that needs only a vine on occasion?  Do you see the beauty in Paul's account of me telling him that my power is made perfect in weakness?  Are you weak or do you think that you just might be strong?  Drop it now in the dirt.

So what then is your response?  What was Peter's?  Absolute surrender.  Peter and the others immediately left everything behind and followed me.  You need to drop whatever you are trying to carry along with you Jeff.  Drop it in the dirt right now.  Fix your eyes on me and know that I am the Lord.  Do not be afraid.  You don't need it.

Application:
The following outline is partially adapted from John Piper's September 29, 2002 Sermon "Breaking nets, Sinking Boats and Saving Men".

The story of the full nets teaches me how to be a catcher of men by doing the following...
1. Today I am to teach the Word
2. Today I am to obey the Lord
3. Today I am to band together with others in His service
4. Today I am not to presume any limitation on the Lord's work
5. Today I am to humble myself before the Lord
6. Today I am to treasure Christ above all- Surrender everything else

Prayer:
Lord please let me learn this lesson today.  Please let me humble myself that you would demonstrate your power.  Lord please show me where to cast the net and let me not presume how much the boat can hold.  Lord please give me and the men around me your vision for this fishing expedition.  Lord, I cannot catch these fish.  It must be you.  Please take me with.  Please bring my family with-you have given me responsibility for them and I am called to sacrifice as you did unto death.

In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!

View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!