Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Monday, April 2, 2012

God's Abundance When We Risk

Philippians 4:19
And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.



Personalize it method (Rick Warren 40 Days in the word):

Jeff, if you will but surrender your finances and your comfort and your time and everything you have you will not need to fear that you will be lacking.  I return a bounty for the heart that surrenders to me and sacrifices that which cannot be kept.  I will meet your needs Jeff according the the riches in my glory since you are abiding in me.  Notice Jeff, that I am promising to supply your needs not from my riches but in accordance to my riches in glory.  The sacrifice made by the Philippians in the original context here was great and their messenger, Epaphroditus nearly died bringing Paul their offering.  Note that he traveled approximately 800 miles to get to Paul.  You also need to understand that in a Roman prison the prisoners were not fed.  They only survive based on the provision offered by others that may come and support them...so Paul is essentially left for dead if it were not for the church.

Philippians 2:30
for he [Epaphroditus] nearly died for the work of Christ, risking his life to complete what was lacking in your service to me.


Jeff- may you be like Epaphroditus and the Philippians.  Do not fear giving up your resources (time, money, skills, etc.) or even your physical life for the sake of my kingdom.  I will bless you and your needs will be met in abundance that I may be shown glorious.  This I promise to do for my name's sake.

Jeff, be sure not to miss this- my promise here was given in context of a church body that made great sacrifice and was walking in surrender.  They did not offer something easy, they took extreme risk in the level of their offering.  This promise was not given in response to an offering from convenience.  This promise was not given in response to anything less than a commitment to seek first my kingdom- the Philippians were passionate about ensuring Paul's survival that he might continue to further the gospel.  This offering surely came from their thankfulness as well as their obedience to the great commission.

Jeff, how committed are you to reaching all of the unsaved people around you? How committed are you to making disciples?  Are you an Epaphroditus?  Will you walk away from comfort and risk everything- your very life?  I am not speaking of a small thing.

Matthew 28:18-20
And Jesus came and said to them, “ All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”


Application:
Today I am to see the harvest around me and I am to take risk
Today I am to sacrifice my comfort for the gospel
Today I am to rest in the Lord's provision if I risk it all for Him
Today I am to seek out ways that I may sacrifice for His kingdom
Today I am to seek out ways to support the great commission as it is accomplished in my church and beyond
Today I am to consider how I may participate in the vision of local outreach at BCCC
Today I am to support my pastor.  Covering him in prayer, partnering with him in the mission
Today I am to further consider taking risk for the absolute surrender ministry vision

Prayer:
Lord, please grant me the faith of Epaphroditus.  Please help me to lose my life that I might gain it.

Matthew 16:25
For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.


Lord, please show me how I am to serve in the mission of local as well as broad outreach.  Please give me boldness to act and to abandon comfort for the sake of the abundant harvest that you are beginning to show me.  Show me Lord, where you would have me sacrifice...where you would have me go, and give me the faith to act.

Thank you for your promise.  In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you put yourself in Epaphroditus'shoes (or sandles) instead of Pauls. The sacrifices you know that will be required of you as you move toward the passion of your heart, mainly reaching the heart of men, while maintaining the fragile balance of the needs of your family and the sacrifices they will also endure as you continue in the journey to live in obedience to Christ. Let me know how I can support you in that. I, as most who probably read this verse, try to relate to Pauls ability to be content in all circumstances; accept the inward and outward provision of the Lord and learning to be content in only what he is willing to provide according to his glorious riches and be fully satisfied for what he graciously provides is his peace, patience, endurence, hope...and love. Keep the faith brother, praying for you often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good word regarding the balance of keeping the needs of the family above the ministry. I am called to surrender all to the Lord but my wife and family must come before any ministry. Nicole and I have talked on this and we are currently working out how to ensure we do not get misaligned. Thanks dude!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!