Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Take the Son

Today's Reading: Genesis 49-50, Psalms 8, Luke 20
Psalms 8:3-4
When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, 4 what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him?
Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord please speak to me today and let me know what you are telling me in your Word, amen.

Lord- Thank you for David's psalm about your majesty and your immeasurability. Please remind me of this constantly whenever I would become discouraged by my circumstances. Thank you that although you are immense compared to your creation, your love still drove you to the cross and that was no doing of ours but it was for your good pleasure.

Jeff see the story of the vinyard below and know that my Son is a stumbling block to the Jews. He did not shy away but made it clear to them that He was the coming messiah. They have rejected the wisdom of the prophets and now they reject my Son...
Luke 20:13-18
Then the owner of the vineyard said, ‘ What shall I do? I will send my beloved son; perhaps they will respect him. ’ 14 But when the tenants saw him, they said to themselves, ‘ This is the heir. Let us kill him, so that the inheritance may be ours. ’ 15 And they threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. What then will the owner of the vineyard do to them? 16 He will come and destroy those tenants and give the vineyard to others.” When they heard this, they said, “Surely not!” 17 But he looked directly at them and said, “ What then is this that is written: “‘The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone ’? 18 Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces, and when it falls on anyone, it will crush him.”

Isaiah 8:13-14
But the Lord of hosts, him you shall honor as holy. Let him be your fear, and let him be your dread. 14 And he will become a sanctuary and a stone of offense and a rock of stumbling to both houses of Israel, a trap and a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.

Acts 4:11-12
This Jesus is the stone that was rejected by you, the builders, which has become the cornerstone. 12 And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

Psalms 118:21-22
I thank you that you have answered me and have become my salvation. 22 The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.

Daniel 2:44
And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that shall never be destroyed, nor shall the kingdom be left to another people. It shall break in pieces all these kingdoms and bring them to an end, and it shall stand forever,
So see Jeff that while the nation Israel is my chosen people, they have not received my Son, without whom there is no salvation. Be certain Jeff that my Son is the cornerstone for everything you attempt to build in your life.

See that Jesus easily managed the deceitful questions of the religious Jews of His day when they tried to trap Him in a statement that could bring Him into captivity of the Romans or otherwise may have harmed His approval amongst the Jews that hated paying taxes to Caesar...
Luke 20:22-25
Is it lawful for us to give tribute to Caesar, or not?” 23 But he perceived their craftiness, and said to them, 24 “ Show me a denarius. Whose likeness and inscription does it have?” They said, “ Caesar 's.” 25 He said to them, “ Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar' s, and to God the things that are God 's.”
See Jeff that you are created in my image and Jesus is explaining that you are to surrender yourself to me alone. See Jeff that the life you live is not your own..."render to God the things that are God's."
Genesis 1:26-27
Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
But also see that I expect you to be subject to authority Jeff. Do not take lightly your need to honor those in authority, for the sake of their role...
1 Peter 2:13-17
13 Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, 14 or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. 15 For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people. 16 Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover- up for evil, but living as servants of God. 17 Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.
Next they questioned my Son regarding the resurrection of the dead since some did not believe in this. His response established that I am Lord of all and that He reigns as my Son over all...
Luke 20:34-36
And Jesus said to them, “The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage, 35 but those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage, 36 for they cannot die anymore, because they are equal to angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection.

See Jeff that marriage is an institution for this life but not for the one to come as you will each relate to God individually and there will be no further need for procreation. See how my Son continues on regarding the resurrection...
Luke 20:37-38
But that the dead are raised, even Moses showed, in the passage about the bush, where he calls the Lord the God of Abraham and the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob. 38 Now he is not God of the dead, but of the living, for all live to him.”
Jeff, see that Jesus is pointing out that the reference made to the patriarchs is indicating that they live, although they died many years prior to Moses writing about this burning bush experience. So my children live in spirit after their flesh dies. Jeff, invest in the spirit because you will continue on through eternity not in the flesh but in the spirit.

Also see that I am God of all and your life is mine if I am your Lord...
Romans 14:7-9
For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. 8 For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. 9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

1 Thessalonians 5:9-10
For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him.
So see that I am Lord of those that are dead (asleep, really. Awaiting the resurrection of the dead) as well as you and the other believers who are alive. Remember that you interpret scripture with scripture...know that my earlier reference to not being God of the dead was specifically to make the point that the patriarchs were not dead in the sense the Saduccees were thinking.

Jeff, the religious Jews stopped questioning Jesus because they saw that they were completely incapable of trapping him in His words. See that Jesus then went to the offensive and questioned them on their rejection of His identity as the Christ...
Luke 20:41-44
41 But he said to them, “ How can they say that the Christ is David 's son? 42 For David himself says in the Book of Psalms, “‘The Lord said to my Lord, “ Sit at my right hand, 43 until I make your enemies your footstool.”’ 44 David thus calls him Lord, so how is he his son?”
See that David, who came long before in the genealogy of Jesus considered the Lord (the messiah) to be His Lord just as He considered God the Father to be his Lord. This is the meaning of the Lord of my Lord. Jesus points out that this relative of David's is in fact the Son of God.

After Jesus' death, resurrection and ascension, see that the disciples declare to the Jews emphatically that my Son is the Christ who brings salvation and that any who would repent and claim Jesus as Lord will be saved...
Acts 2:36-38
Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.”
37 Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” 38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
So Jeff, rejoice that you have my Holy Spirit living in you and He will empower you to do my work. Know that your old life of self, your old life of sin, your old life of failure is passed away and it is all nailed to the cross as now you live...
Colossians 2:13-14
And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, 14 by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.
Application:
Today I will make sure that I am offering myself in surrender to God as I belong to Him.
Today I will honor authority.
Today I will rejoice that He considers my failures and my old life to be nailed to the cross.
Today I will seek to me a witness to the salvation that only comes by the Son and I will have compassion on others.

Prayer:
Lord thank you for your Word. Please show me how it is you would have me make the above application today as I proceed at work and through my day. Please guide me in how to surrender and how to best carry your message of redemption to those that would repent and put their trust in you.

In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!