Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Surrender the Flesh


Today's Reading: Exodus 3-5, Luke 22
Exodus 3:6 6 And he said, c“I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God. 

Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord please give me eyes to see what you are telling me today in your Word.

Jeff- see that Moses feared me. Do not be so comfortable as to forget that I am God. Also see that Moses was threatened for his life when he failed to circumcise his own son...

Exodus 4:24-26 24 At a lodging place on the way the Lord met him and sought to put him to death. 25 Then Zipporah took a flint and cut off her son’s foreskin and touched Moses’3 feet with it and said, “Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me!” 26 So he let him alone. It was then that she said, “A bridegroom of blood,” because of the circumcision. 
Jeff, you have been learning what it is to surrender your will and to surrender all that you have and all that you are. See the lesson in Peter that he was a follower but was yet living in the power of his flesh quite often. My Son warned him that he would fail and that when he repented that he would be stronger and that he would lead the others who would all be attacked by the enemy as well...
Luke 22:31-32 31 “Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you,4 that he might sift you like wheat, 32 but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers"
Jeff, see that Peter failed miserably right after he thought he had it all together. Don't make this mistake of thinking you are all that. Remain humble and always rely on Me for your strength.
Luke 22:60-62 But Peter said, “Man, I do not know what you are talking about.” And immediately, while he was still speaking, the rooster crowed. 61 And the Lord turned and looked at Peter. And Peter remembered the saying of the Lord, how he had said to him, o“Before the rooster crows today, you will deny me three times.” 62 And he went out and wept bitterly. 
Jeff, notice that Peter wept bitterly. This was hi turning point when he left the flesh life behind and he found surrender. Peter indeed did lead the others after this point and he from then on let others know that the enemy was always looking to defeat them...
1 Peter 5:8-11 8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9 Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. 10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. 11 To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen. 
So see Jeff that Peter not only learned his lesson well, but he shared this insight and wanted others to not be ensnared as he was.

Now look at my Son and how he hated the idea of the cross...

Luke 22:41-42 41 And he withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, and knelt down and prayed, 42 saying, w“Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.”
See that the cup refers to my wrath that was to be poured out on Him...
Isaiah 51:17 17 Wake yourself, wake yourself, stand up, O Jerusalem, you who have drunk from the hand of the Lord the cup of his wrath, who have drunk to the dregs the bowl, the cup of staggering. 
Jeff, see how it is that I love you and how my beloved Son loves you that he would endure...
Hebrews 12:2 2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. 
So Jeff, you too need to endure, hold fast to the faith, put your trust in me, not yourself- lest you be fooled like Peter. Surrender all to me and I will worry about the details.

Application:
Today I will rest in the Lord.
Today I will be aware of the prowling enemy.
Today I will be thankful that Jesus endured.
Today I will remember that God takes sin seriously and that I must obey out of love.

Prayer:
Thank you Lord for enduring the cross. Thank you Lord for loving me so. Thank you Lord for warning me against self-confidence. Thank you Lord for reminding me that it is only by your power that I accomplish anything. Please let me be mindful of these truths through the remainder of my day.

In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!

View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

2 comments:

  1. I love the words of Jesus:

    32 but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers"

    Wow, our Lord prays for us to have faith, so we can also strenghen our brothers! Let us be like Jesus and pray for one another the same requests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mark. I feel that by the grace of God he has turned me and now I must be faithful to strengthen our brothers. I praise God that you also have this passion Mark!! Pray that we guard our hearts and stay out of the thorns.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!