Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Sunday, April 15, 2012

May It Be You Lord

Today's Reading: Genesis 27-28, Psalms 6, Luke 11

Luke 11:2-4
And he said to them, “ When you pray, say: “ Father, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come. 3 Give us each day our daily bread, 4 and forgive us our sins, for we ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation.”


Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word):

Jeff, come to me as a loving father when you pray.  Know that I love you and always want the best for you; which is to be like My Son Jesus.  Be sure to humble yourself when you approach and know that I am fearful.  Don't fool yourself into thinking I am anything other than the creator who drowned the entire earth due to it's excessive sin.  Come to me on your face and pray with a vision for My kingdom, not yours Jeff.  Do you come to me to further your kingdom Jeff?  My kingdom came to earth by My Son and now dwells by the Holy Spirit within the church, within you Jeff.  May your focus be on the gospel and may your prayers be aligning your will to mine, not the other way around.  Ask for what you need and I will sustain you, confess your sins and acknowledge your depravity and you will be forgiven.  Forgive others as evidence of your love that I have commanded you...

Luke 10:27
And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”

My forgiveness Jeff comes at the cost of My Son and it is only available to those that receive Him and love Him.  So obey His commands...
John 14:15
15 “ If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

1 John 2:3-4
And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him,

Finally Jeff, pray that you not be led into temptation.  Pray for filling of My Spirit to empower you to live in the manner of your calling.

Colossians 1:9-12
And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, 10 so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. 11 May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, 12 giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.

Philippians 1:27
Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel,

See that I will answer your prayers Jeff...
Luke 11:9
And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Luke 11:13
If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Know that I will not grant you things that are for your kingdom lest it is for the greater good of teaching you to be like my son.  Know that I see all and look upon your life with an entirely different perspective.  I knew that you needed to fail here or there...I knew that you needed to receive easily many things that were not for my kingdom.  But these things I used to bring you on this journey to come and surrender yourself.  You might ask for the scorpion Jeff.  Know that I will likely make you ask over and over until finally you ask for the egg.  Or that I will provide the egg while you are still looking for the scorpion.  Remember, I am your father, your God.

See that the best gift I offer you is My Holy Spirit, Myself.  You need to seek to be Spirit Filled by prayer and obedience.  Do not grieve My Spirit that indwells you...
Ephesians 4:30
30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

Ephesians 5:18
And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit,

MacArthur Study Bible Notes:
Paul is not speaking of the Holy Spirit’s indwelling ( Rom.  8:9 ) or the baptism by Christ with the Holy Spirit ( 1  Cor.  12:13 ), because every Christian is indwelt and baptized by the Spirit at the time of salvation. He is rather giving a command for believers to live continually under the influence of the Spirit by letting the word control them (see note on Col.  3:16 ), pursuing pure lives, confessing all known sin, dying to self, surrendering to God’s will, and depending on his power in all things. Being filled with the Spirit is living in the conscious presence of the Lord Jesus Christ, letting his mind, through the word, dominate everything that is thought and done.
Calvin's Commentaries:
It is his will to govern men by his word: but as the bare voice, if the inward power of the Spirit be not added, does not pierce the hearts of men, both must be joined together, in order that the kingdom of God may be established.

We therefore pray that God would exert his power, both by the Word and by the Spirit, that the whole world may willingly submit to him.
Luke 11:23
Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

Luke 11:27-28
27 As he said these things, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, “ Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts at which you nursed!” 28 But he said, “ Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”

Luke 11:34-36
Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eye is healthy, your whole body is full of light, but when it is bad, your body is full of darkness. 35 Therefore be careful lest the light in you be darkness. 36 If then your whole body is full of light, having no part dark, it will be wholly bright, as when a lamp with its rays gives you light.”

Jeff, be sure that you do not allow darkness to enter.  Guard your eyes, your heart.  Do not grieve My Spirit, but rather; be filled by Him.

Application:
Today I am to pray that I would yield continuously to the Holy Spirit
Today I am to guard my eyes and my heart against evil influence
Today I am to pray with humility
Today I am to pray for God's kingdom, not mine
Today I am to make my needs know to God, my father

Prayer:
Thank you Lord for again revealing more of yourself to me in this morning time.  Thank you for the amazing blessings you are pouring out upon me and my family.  Please let me learn to pray like this Lord.  Please bring remembrance of this each time I look up to pray.  May I learn to always pray from a place of seeking that your will be done, not mine.  Let me always know that your will is good and that you work all things for our good, that we might be conformed to the image of your Son.  Please bless me with powerful prayer Lord, not in my righteousness, but in Yours.  May Your Holy Spirit bear in me Your righteousness and as I pray in Your Son's name, seeking your purpose, may it be as that Your Son is the one praying and thus my prayer is powerful...

James 5:16b
The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

1 comment:

  1. Daily Obedience = Love. What or who do I love more than God? I need to examine my ways, and where or what do I submit my allegiance too. If I follow my own personal achievement first, I reckon there will be division, frustration, fear, doubt, anger, loneliness. If my life is one of obedience to God then I will experience cohesiveness, joy, peace, confidence, hope....and the greatest, Love. And that love will overflow to all those he placed in my life. Thanks Jeff for the encouraging study.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!