Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

It's Not About Me

Today's Reading: Exodus 1-2, Psalms 88, Luke 21
Luke 21:1-4
1 Jesus looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the offering box, 2 and he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. 3 And he said, “ Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them. 4 For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”

Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord, please reveal what you are telling me today in your Word.

Jeff- See that the widow's offering was greater than the others. Her offering was certainly much smaller but know that your surrender is always a heart issue. The amount you give does not so much matter Jeff. It is an expression, a sacrifice, a statement to me regarding where you put your heart. Does your gift display that your heart has been transformed and you now value my kingdom above your comfort and luxury? Your gift will show what you place value on and I tell you that the rich in this scenario gave from abundance and it was pocket change. Their gift correctly showed that their hearts were committed to acquiring more wealth and to their own kingdoms.

Now see how I warned the disciples that the business of making disciples, the business of spreading my gospel, is a risky one...
Luke 21:12-13,16-17
But before all this they will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors for my name 's sake. 13 This will be your opportunity to bear witness....You will be delivered up even by parents and brothers and relatives and friends, and some of you they will put to death. 17 You will be hated by all for my name 's sake.
Hear the apostle Paul's testimony as to his acceptance of risk...
Acts 20:24
But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

From a sermon by John Piper on May 3, 1987. He speaks on taking risk-
First, the Bible urges us to take risks in our relationships when righteousness is at stake.
James 5:16
Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.
Piper...
May the Lord give us the wisdom to know the difference between an unhealthy indulgence in self-exposure on the one hand and the biblical risk of authenticity and confession on the other.

And second kind of risk that the Bible calls us to take is with our money―not with a view to getting rich, but with a view to maximizing our resources for the cause of God not for a thicker pad when you are 65.

Piper on the widow's risk in her offering...
One way to paraphrase this story would be to say, "The rich took no risk with their money for the cause of God, but the widow did." Now why did Jesus point this out? And why did Luke think the story important enough to record it for us? I think the reason is simple: Jesus wants his people to take risks with their money for the cause of God.

The third kind of risk the Bible urges us to take is in the area of witnessing to the grace of God in the gospel.

So let me just say, Don't wait until it feels safe. The point of this text is that Jesus does not always mean it to be safe. He means for us to take a risk for the cause of God and the good of other people.

Finally, the Bible urges us to risk for the cause of God in the area of ministry ventures.

God loves to come through when we take a risk for his glory.

And are we dedicated with all the power God mightily inspires within us to spread this vision of the glory of the grace of God across this city and to all the unreached peoples of the world? If so, then let us be done with wavering. Let us put our hand to the plow and stop looking back. What risk have we ever dreamed of that would be too great for this cause? Expect great things from God and attempt great things for God! And may the Lord do what seems good to him!
So Jeff, consider your risk taking. How are you risking for my sake. How are you risking for the sake of my gospel? How are you risking for mercy? Consider how important your comfort and luxury is? This is a heart issue Jeff, but remember that mercy does. Love does. What are you doing?

See Jeff that you must guard your heart. You must bind yourself to other men and together pray. Hold fast and do not allow the world to weigh you down with its cares and pleasures as one caught in the thorns...
Luke 21:34
Watch Yourselves
34 “ But watch yourselves lest your hearts be weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and cares of this life, and that day come upon you suddenly like a trap.
Application:
Today I will look for opportunity and I will be willing to take risk for the gospel.
Today I will consider how to be giving from a heart that pursues God's kingdom rather than my own.
Today I will consider how to take risk in relationships for the cause of God.
Today I will trust God for the outcome of my risk taking and by His grace alone, may I be faithful.
Today I will remember that this life I live is not about me...or I have lost it.

Prayer:
Lord thank you for your Word and for speaking to me when I open it. Please let me apply this teaching today and give me the faith to take risk, to get out of my comfort zone. Lord, please open my eyes and show me where you would have me go. Point me Lord in the direction and give me eyes to see. Please maintain my humility and yet use me mightily Lord as a risk taker. Also, please grant me discernment to know the difference between risk you would call me to and stupidity. Please show me what taking risk for your cause should look like in my life Lord.

In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!