Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Be Marvelous

Today's Reading: Genesis 18-19, Psalms 3, Luke 7

Genesis 18:17
The Lord said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do,

Genesis 18:32-33
Then he said, “Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak again but this once. Suppose ten are found there.” He answered, “For the sake of ten I will not destroy it.” 33 And the Lord went his way, when he had finished speaking to Abraham, and Abraham returned to his place.

Genesis 19:29
So it was that, when God destroyed the cities of the valley, God remembered Abraham and sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow when he overthrew the cities in which Lot had lived.




Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word):

Jeff, see that I chose to reveal my plans to my servant Abraham.  I had met with Him with two angels for the purpose of advising him regarding the child Sarah would bear, but in that time I revealed to Abraham that I had set my angels to destroy Sodom & Gamorrah.  Know that I revealed this so that he would pray.

Abraham interceded and prayed for what he knew was my heart and also from love for his relative Lot.  Abraham knew Lot was right before Me and knew that the I would not choose to destroy Lot's family along with the wicked that were there.  See Jeff, that I returned from Abraham's presence when I was done speaking to him, not the other way around.  You might see that it looked like Abraham pleading with me but know that it was I that brought Abraham's prayer into alignment with my will for My name's sake...for the sake of My glory.

Jeff, notice that I remembered Abraham as I released my wrath on those cities.  The one who abides in me and prays in my name has powerful prayer.

James 5:16
16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.


Also know that there is none righteous who has walked the earth except for My Son...

Job 15:14
14 What is man, that he can be pure? Or he who is born of a woman, that he can be righteous?


So how do you suppose this righteousness comes that gives a person powerful prayer that I would remember him as I act in this world?  Is it by following the law?  By being obedient in your actions?  By being disciplined in bible reading or church attendance?  Remember Jeff, none are justified by the law...or did I kill my Son for no reason?  See what My Word says regarding this...

Isaiah 66:1-2
1 Thus says the Lord: “ Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool; what is the house that you would build for me, and what is the place of my rest? 2 All these things my hand has made, and so all these things came to be, declares the Lord. But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word.

Matthew 6:33
33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Romans 4:5
5 And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,

Romans 4:21-22
fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. 22 That is why his faith was “ counted to him as righteousness.”

John 15:5
I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

John 15:7
If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.


So Jeff, looking over these passages of My Word do you see that it is not your righteousness?  Do you see that you need to humble yourself and with a contrite heart recognize that you can accomplish nothing apart from me?  Do you see that I am looking for that heart to reside in?  Do you see that if you abide in me as a branch does in the vine, that I will abide in you?  My righteousness will abide within you if you surrender completely to me , as the branch does to the vine.  The branch receives nothing but what the vine provides.  The branch has no purpose other than to receive from the vine.

Jeff, if you live surrendered to my will, humble before me, you will bear My righteousness...the only righteousness to be found.  So do you see that when you abide and then pray in My Son's name that your prayers will be answered.  Do you understand that at that moment they could be said to be My prayers?  If it is not given by the vine, it is not from an abiding surrender and therefore is not in My Son's name...

John 14:10-14
Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves. 12 “ Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.


Do you see how My Son abides in Me and how it is my work that is accomplished in Him?  Do you suppose that praying in His name is to accomplish your work or His?  Pray for His work from a humble place before Him and yes, I will surely answer.  Pray for your own will, pray for something outside of the work of my Son and I tell you- I will not give my glory to another.  Have not an idol before me.

Look back at Lot ...

Genesis 19:4-8
But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house. 5 And they called to Lot, “ Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may know them.” 6 Lot went out to the men at the entrance, shut the door after him, 7 and said, “I beg you, my brothers, do not act so wickedly. 8 Behold, I have two daughters who have not known any man. Let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please. Only do nothing to these men, for they have come under the shelter of my roof.”

Genesis 19:12-13
Then the men said to Lot, “Have you anyone else here? Sons- in- law, sons, daughters, or anyone you have in the city, bring them out of the place. 13 For we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the Lord, and the Lord has sent us to destroy it.”

Genesis 19:15-16
As morning dawned, the angels urged Lot, saying, “ Up! Take your wife and your two daughters who are here, lest you be swept away in the punishment of the city.” 16 But he lingered. So the men seized him and his wife and his two daughters by the hand, the Lord being merciful to him, and they brought him out and set him outside the city.

Genesis 19:26
But Lot's wife, behind him, looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.

Luke 17:32-33
Remember Lot's wife. 33 Whoever seeks to preserve his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life will keep it.


See again Jeff that I deal harshly with sin.  I had mercy on Lot although he was disobedient even as I was rescuing him.  Lot was not righteous because of his performance but because of his faith, like Abraham.

Psalms 3:3
But you, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.


Lord let me always remember that you are my shield, my protector.  You are my glory...my righteousness is not my glory, for I have none.  Let me remember this and may you lift my head as I can so easily be discouraged by my failure and my fear.

So Jeff, this righteousness is faith in Me.  See how marvelous a great measure of faith is...

Luke 7:6-10
And Jesus went with them. When he was not far from the house, the centurion sent friends, saying to him, “ Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you come under my roof. 7 Therefore I did not presume to come to you. But say the word, and let my servant be healed. 8 For I too am a man set under authority, with soldiers under me: and I say to one, ‘ Go, ’ and he goes; and to another, ‘ Come, ’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘ Do this, ’ and he does it.” 9 When Jesus heard these things, he marveled at him, and turning to the crowd that followed him, said, “I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith.” 10 And when those who had been sent returned to the house, they found the servant well.


Jeff, this centurion saw that he was a branch and put all trust in the vine.  He knew that I have all authority and that there was no need for My Son to do anything but speak.  Do you see that My Son marveled at him?  Does this not warm your soul to think that my Son might marvel at you if only you would surrender to Him completely?  Why not pray that I would give you the faith to be so marvelous?

Application:

Today I am to pray for faith that I might abide in the Lord.
Today I am to listen for what God is revealing so that I might join in intercession and participate with His will.
Today I am to remember that it is His righteousness that is my glory.
Today I am to not seek to preserve any part of my life but to wholly surrender lest I be made a pillar of salt as Lot's wife.

Prayer:

Lord thank you for your revealed Word.  Thank you for blessing me so.  Please grant me faith like the centurion and may I yield to you all of me so that I may truly abide in you.  Please teach me to pray in this way that I am praying your will as Abraham did.  Please contend with me until I finally pray what you are asking, as you did Abraham...you departed once you were done SPEAKING TO HIM!

Please Lord bless the preparations of the Men's retreat.  I believe you have revealed to me that you are going to do a work there and so I know that I am called to pray as you called Abraham to pray.  Lord, prepare the hearts of the men you are calling to attend and send your mighty angels to fight off any of the enemy's efforts to keep a single man from coming whom you have called.  As you sent Michael the arch angel to help Gabriel when you had a message for Daniel, please send you angels.  Please prepare the hearts of those that will speak and lead.  Let us all come before you Lord with humble and contrite hearts.

In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!


View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!