Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Seek Satisfaction Only In Me

Today's Reading: Genesis 15-17, Luke 6

Genesis 15:6
And he believed the Lord, and he counted it to him as righteousness.




Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word):

Jeff, do you see that Abraham was not saved by his actions but by my grace as He put his faith in me?  Further, it was not faith in any one promise I made to him but rather, it was faith in Me (as opposed to faith in the promise itself).  I am the author of faith Jeff, Abraham had faith because I granted it to Him.  Recall that my Son had not been to the cross yet and there was no payment made for the sins of my people.  Therefore, even before the cross, salvation was by grace through faith!  I had my eyes forward to the cross in order to consider Abraham justified before me Jeff.  See what is written...

Romans 4:1-3
Abraham Justified by Faith
1 What then shall we say was gained by Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh? 2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.”

Romans 4:9-11
Is this blessing then only for the circumcised, or also for the uncircumcised? For we say that faith was counted to Abraham as righteousness. 10 How then was it counted to him? Was it before or after he had been circumcised? It was not after, but before he was circumcised. 11 He received the sign of circumcision as a seal of the righteousness that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised. The purpose was to make him the father of all who believe without being circumcised, so that righteousness would be counted to them as well,

Romans 4:20-25
No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, 21 fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. 22 That is why his faith was “counted to him as righteousness.” 23 But the words “it was counted to him” were not written for his sake alone, 24 but for ours also. It will be counted to us who believe in him who raised from the dead Jesus our Lord, 25 who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification.

James 2:23
and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God.


So don't be fooled into thinking that your performance can impact your standing before Me Jeff.  Yes, I call you to be holy.  But this is only possible by the filling of My Spirit and the works that result from faith are themselves not the substance of salvation.

So live then by faith Jeff. See what is written about this life of faith in Luke...

Luke 6:20-23
The Beatitudes
20 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said: “ Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. 21 “ Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied. “ Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh. 22 “ Blessed are you whe people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! 23 Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.

Luke 6:24-26
Jesus Pronounces Woes
24 “ But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation. 25 “ Woe to you who are full now, for you shall be hungry. “ Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep. 26 “ Woe to you, when all people speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets.


Jeff, notice that I contrast one who is looking to this life on earth for satisfaction and purpose versus the one who is not satisfied with the offerings of the world, but rather hungers for Me.  Look back at the to passages.  I am not saying that a poor person is blessed and the rich cursed because of the content of their bank account.  I speak of the heart...

I am telling you that you should not be seeking riches here but in heaven.  I am telling you that you should not seek comfort and satisfaction here but in Me alone.  My servant John Piper puts it this way...

"God is most glorified when I am most satisfied in Him."

I am telling you that you should not see this time as the time to celebrate for sake of the things you see about you, for there is a harvest to tend to.  You need to have compassion and seek out the lost according to my great commission.  Don't let this world pull you into a life of enjoyment in temporal pleasure or satisfaction.  I am saying that you need to speak up for My purpose.  The gospel is your charge and this cannot be spread without incurring persecution.  Jeff, if nobody finds offense then you are not carrying the right message.  I have not called everyone and those whom I have not called will be offended.  Are you telling anyone about this salvation?  This kingdom of God and righteousness that you are seeking first...are you keeping it to yourself?  Jeff rejoice when you suffer for my sake.  Enter into my joy and experience my peace that is beyond all understanding.

So this life of faith should therefore result in action Jeff.  Your faith should be proven in your doing.  Are you a doer?  Jeff, if you are not doing what I reveal to you in My Word, then you are deceived and you have built your house on sand.  See what is written about the one who does not apply My Word to their life...

Luke 6:46-49
Build Your House on the Rock
46 “ Why do you call me ‘ Lord, Lord, ’ and not do what I tell you? 47 Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: 48 he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built. 49 But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.”


Jeff, if you merely acknowledge My Word without applying it...If you merely agree that that would be good without actually doing it...if you merely ascend to the acknowledgement that you should seek first the Kingdom of God and righteousness but then do not seek me with the first fruits of your time...then you are sure to fall when the storm comes.  I am calling you to surrender your precious time to come and be in relationship with Me Jeff.

Jeff, do you suppose that the walls and the roof and the elements of the house (you) can stand on their own strength or would you suppose that these elements must be affixed to a strong foundation?  Do you suppose that you need merely to be tied into the vine and make yourself completely subject to Me?  Do you suppose that the storm might be no concern of yours if your trust is in the foundation rather than the walls?  Who are you trusting?

Jeff, you spent 23 years walking withe me without truly embracing this.  Find now how much you are blessed in your doing...

James 1:22-25
"But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves...but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing."


Application:
Today I am to trust in your grace rather than my performance Lord
Today I am to put my faith into action by placing value in things eternal, not in this world
Today I am to be a doer
Today I am to seek you and deny myself
Today I am to be generous to help others without expectation of repayment (Luke 6:30)

Prayer:
Lord thank you for giving me faith and for choosing to bring me into relationship with you.  Please build my faith and enable me to take my focus completely off of my performance and trust only in You.  Please take away the sweetness of this world and let me be broken for your service, recognizing the reality of what is happening around us.  Lord, let me always be aware that there is a spiritual battle ensuing around us and the enemy wants only that I would be satisfied, content, happy, and full with what the world offers.  The enemy wants me to sleep in order that I might not experience the fullness of Christ in this age and that He might delay as long as possible the conversion of your elect.  Lord, I understand this delay, this robbing of the fullness of life that I should live by the power of your Holy Spirit is the only victory that can be gained by the devil.  Please let me not be deceived or asleep at the wheel Lord.  Keep me vigilant.

Lord please bring your church to a place of surrender.  Let us not hold onto this world but offer ourselves up as empty vessels in your service.  Please do an amazing work at Beach Cities Community Church.  Please bless Pastor Kent and the entire staff that they might be used mightily...that they might be filled to overflowing with your Holy Spirit...that He would empower them to do your work.

In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!


View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

3 comments:

  1. Jeff, these thoughts that the Holy Spirit has imparted to you are a blessing for me everytime I read them! Temporary happiness is a cheap substitute for joy. The section where you pointed out that Satan wants us to be wrapped up with contentment in this world to prolong the conversion of the elect hit me hard. Thanks again for your faithfulness.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, I could not be more proud and happy that you have chosen
    to surrender to God so completely. My hope is that I can do the same one day.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The men's retreat is gonna rock pops. The cool thing is that the Lord accomplishes and maintains the surrender, not you. You simply need to believe that He can and will...then let Him by asking Him to. Clearly, it is a lifelong process but its easy to scoot along just treading water...

      Delete

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!