Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Son, Not Slave

Today's Reading: Genesis 37-38, Psalms 7, Luke 15
Luke 15:4
“What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety- nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it?

Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Day in the Word):

Jeff, see that the parables I tell in Luke 15 are in response to the pharisees and their questioning of my motive as I eat with sinners...
Luke 15:1-2
1 Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. 2 And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them.”
But know Jeff, that this is why my Father sent me.  I did not come to save the haughty, those that refuse to humble themselves for they are destined for wrath.  I cam to save the humble and contrite who would confess their need for a savior...

Luke 15:7
Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety- nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

Luke 19:10
For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

Matthew 9:13
Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice. ’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners."
From a sermon by John Piper on August 20, 1995-
Jesus is the seeking heart of God going out after sinners and winning our repentance. We must repent. But he has not left us alone in this. He has taken bold initiatives to reach us and change us.
So this repentance Jeff- my parable of the prodigal son is indeed about my seeking the lost and rejoicing at their reconciliation to the Father, but also about the failure of some to recognize the relationship I desire with them and the equally sinful neglect of this relationship that should be based on love.  Hear that words of the prodigal's brother as he expresses his heart upon seeing the father's response to his brother's return...
Luke 15:28-30
But he was angry and refused to go in. His father came out and entreated him, 29 but he answered his father, ‘Look, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command, yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours came, who has devoured your property with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him! ’
Jeff, I am not looking for slave obedience but for a relationship as father-son.  One of where obedience comes from adoration and love, not from service for which compensation is expected.  Do you see that attempting to serve me for gain of something other than simply being with me and being conformed to the image of my Son is sin?  Do you desire the gift or the giver, Jeff?

From a sermon by John Piper on September 3, 1995-
It dishonors God to treat him as a master in need of slave labor. What honors God is not slave labor, but childlike faith in his all-sufficiency.
Jeff, see that I entreat you as a child.  I do not command you as a slave.  I desire that you make right choices and that you draw near, that you surrender.  I have every right to command you, but instead Jeff I choose to relate to you as abba father.  I chose to relate to you in love and in fellowship.  See again how the father in my parable entreated his other son rather than command him.  See how he pointed out that the son is abiding and has everything already...
Luke 15:28, 31-32
But he was angry and refused to go in. His father came out and entreated him,...And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. 32 It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found. ’”
Piper again-
This is the point: the father is not just trying to get the son to perform the right action; he is trying to awaken him to what a relationship of love is like.
Jeff, the problem here is that the other son was valuing the gifts more than the giver and was likely hoping to head off with his inheritance not so unlike the other brother.  So Jeff, sticking around out of selfish motive is really the same as heading out.  I want my children to adore me and experience me.  I am far better than my gifts.  I do not want you to read my Word just because someone tells you its right to do.  I do not want you to attend church because you feel that you are supposed to...Jeff, it does not need to be like that. O my son, that you would understand I want to relate to you as abba father.  If you would simply surrender to me you can see that these activities are your delight.  You would see that I am found in these places and that there is no master-slave relationship of mustered obedience at all.

Jeff, I am pleased that you are now enjoying this father-son relationship.  You went so many years in the thorns.  So many years as the other son.  So many years in my house, but not seeing me.  So many years right here under my roof, but not enjoying me.  Now that you have repented and you have surrendered, let us eat and celebrate!  Enter into my joy!

Now back to the lost sheep Jeff.  See that I place great importance on going out after the lost.  So you too must prioritize seeking the lost rather than hoarding my love and only fellowshipping together with other believers.  See that the consequences are great for the lost as I will surely punish the unrepentant...
Psalms 7:12-13
If a man does not repent, God will whet his sword; he has bent and readied his bow; 13 he has prepared for him his deadly weapons, making his arrows fiery shafts.

Deuteronomy 32:39-41
“‘See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand. 40 For I lift up my hand to heaven and swear, As I live forever, 41 if I sharpen my flashing sword and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance on my adversaries and will repay those who hate me.
Application:
Today I will rejoice in the Lord for seeking the lost
Today I will celebrate the work that He accomplishes
Today I will look on the lost as worthy to chase
Today I will enjoy my Heavenly Father for who He is, not what He can do for me

Prayer:
Lord thank you that you desire to relate to me as abba father and not as a master over his slave.  Thank you that I can approach the christian disciplines not as necessary obedience for acceptance and to receive some type of payment, but that I may know you better.  That I may draw near and abide in you.  That I might experience more of you.  That I might be led by your Spirit and be used for your Kingdom to your glory!  Please give me words when you lead me to share my faith or to invite people to join in the band of brothers that you are gathering in the men's group.  Lord, let me not be self-focused but other focused and may I rejoice in the work you do in others more so than in me.  Let me rush to gather items for the feast Lord rather than compare myself and my blessings to what you are doing in someone else- as if I deserve anything but wrath except by your mercy and grace.

In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

1 comment:

  1. Brother I will join you in your application and prayer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!