Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Devote yourself to the Lord!

Today's Reading: Leviticus 27

Leviticus 27:1–2 (ESV)The Lord spoke to Moses, saying, “Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, If anyone makes a special vow to the Lord involving the valuation of persons,

Context/overview:

From Be Holy by Wiersbe-
The principle behind the regulations in this chapter is that of substituting money for something given in dedication to God, a person, an animal, or a piece of property, and giving that money to the priests for the upkeep of the sanctuary. The priest would evaluate the gift according to the rules laid down in this chapter. By giving money in exchange for the gift, the worshiper was “redeeming” the gift but still fulfilling the vow. These vows were strictly voluntary and were expressions of the worshiper’s gratitude to God for His blessing.
Wiersbe, W. W. (1996). Be holy (142–143). Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books.
Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord please show me the application in this chapter of your Word today.  In Jesus name I pray, amen.


No substitution or going back-


Leviticus 27:10 (ESV)10 He shall not exchange it or make a substitute for it, good for bad, or bad for good; and if he does in fact substitute one animal for another, then both it and the substitute shall be holy.
In the case of offering a living thing to the service of the Lord clean animals could not be redeemed but only the priests could exchange one animal for another all still remaining in the service of the Lord at the tabernacle. Jeff- see that your heart and your life is offered in devotion to my kingdom and understand that this cannot be returned. As Samuel was devoted to me for life you recall that although he sinned and gave up his oath, he broke the covenant by allowing his hair to be cut, still his vow- the dedication of his service to me for life- was not something that could be taken away and I therefore moved hi to sacrifice his life in a final surrender and devotion to me. So too, you should understand that there is no return to the former and this blessing of eternal security in the inheritance of my kingdom should be your joy and your pleasure.

With everything outside of your heart that you might devote to me remember to count the cost and know that I retain those things devoted to me or else there is trouble as with Achan and Saul.
Proverbs 20:25 (ESV) 25  It is a snare to say rashly, “It is holy,”
and to reflect only after making vows.
From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
Note, What is given to the Lord ought not to be given with a power of revocation; what is devoted to the Lord must be his for ever, by a perpetual covenant.
Things or persons devoted are here distinguished from things or persons that were only sanctified. 1. Devoted things were most holy to the Lord, and could neither revert nor be alienated, v. 28. They were of the same nature with those sacrifices which were called most holy, which none might touch but only the priests themselves. The difference between these and other sanctified things arose from the different expression of the vow. If a man dedicated any thing to God, binding himself with a solemn curse never to alienate it to any other purpose, then it was a thing devoted.
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Le 27:26–34). Peabody: Hendrickson.
Leviticus 27:28 (ESV)28 “But no devoted thing that a man devotes to the Lord, of anything that he has, whether man or beast, or of his inherited field, shall be sold or redeemed; every devoted thing is most holy to the Lord.
Devote yourself to me and never look back…do not hold back any part of your heart! Let your entire being be in my service and enjoy my fullness!



Jubilee!-


Leviticus 27:21 (ESV)21 But the field, when it is released in the jubilee, shall be a holy gift to the Lord, like a field that has been devoted. The priest shall be in possession of it.
At the jubilee the offering is made permanent Jeff and is therefore dedicated perpetually to the priesthood in service at the tabernacle. It is no coincidence Jeff that I sacrificed my Son in your place in the year of Jubilee. Rejoice in the jubilee that would return your inheritance that was sold, but rejoice all the more in dedicating all that you have permanently to me and know that you join in my inheritance that is far greater!

From the Bible Knowledge Commentary-
Redemption required payment of the adjusted evaluation plus 20 percent (v. 19). Failure to redeem the land by the Year of Jubilee resulted in permanently forfeiting its title to the priests (vv. 20-21).
Walvoord, J. F., Zuck, R. B., & Dallas Theological Seminary. (1983-). The Bible knowledge commentary : An exposition of the scriptures (Le 27:16–21). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
See the beauty in my Son redeeming you to myself as you were destined for destruction without this redemption that could not be accomplished by man.

From Be Holy by Wiersbe-
Finally, we need to remember that Jesus Christ paid with His own life the redemption price for sinners, and we weren’t worth it. He redeemed us not with silver and gold but with His own precious blood (1 Peter 1:18–19). Any sacrifice we make for Him is nothing compared to the sacrifice He made for us.
Wiersbe, W. W. (1996). Be holy (145). Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books.


Do not divide your tithe-

Leviticus 27:26 (ESV)26 “But a firstborn of animals, which as a firstborn belongs to the Lord, no man may dedicate; whether ox or sheep, it is the Lord’s.
See Jeff that you are not to pass off something already set aside for me as a devotion. To divide your tithe supposing that this is a devotion to me is a lie and I will not receive that. Rather, if you are not prepared to make an offering with cheerfulness, then do not do it...
2 Corinthians 9:7 (ESV)Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
This point is further explained by the example below of King Saul…



Death to the Idols-

Leviticus 27:29 (ESV)29 No one devoted, who is to be devoted for destruction from mankind, shall be ransomed; he shall surely be put to death.
Jeff, you must not allow any survival when you conquer giants or tear down idols in your life like the things devoted to destruction by the Lord. See how I commanded Saul to destroy the Amelekites as devoted to destruction and yet he chose to set some aside as to offer them to me separately. But see how I sent my servant Samuel to correct Saul in this sin...
1 Samuel 15:13–15 (ESV)13 And Samuel came to Saul, and Saul said to him, “Blessed be you to the Lord. I have performed the commandment of the Lord.” 14 And Samuel said, “What then is this bleating of the sheep in my ears and the lowing of the oxen that I hear?” 15 Saul said, “They have brought them from the Amalekites, for the people spared the best of the sheep and of the oxen to sacrifice to the Lord your God, and the rest we have devoted to destruction.”
Samuel rebuked Saul and made it clear that he could not offer to me what I had already dedicated to destruction! He cannot give me what is already mine Jeff. It was sin for him to spare any of the Amelekites and it is also wrong for you to divide your offering. You decide in your heart what I am calling you to give and then give, do not rob from what you already dedicate to me to fulfill what should be an additional devotion…or do you see your resources as your own?

Hear my command that was abandoned by Achan and led to his death and the death of his entire family due to the harboring of sin in the camp of my people...
Joshua 6:17–19 (ESV)17 And the city and all that is within it shall be devoted to the Lord for destruction. Only Rahab the prostitute and all who are with her in her house shall live, because she hid the messengers whom we sent. 18 But you, keep yourselves from the things devoted to destruction, lest when you have devoted them you take any of the devoted things and make the camp of Israel a thing for destruction and bring trouble upon it. 19 But all silver and gold, and every vessel of bronze and iron, are holy to the Lord; they shall go into the treasury of the Lord.”
Application and Prayer:
  • Today I will be certain not to live as though this body is still mine
  • Today I will be certain to consider my heart as belonging to the Lord
  • Today I will be certain not to give any idols a place in my heart
  • Today I will be certain to make any calling to give or serve as something in addition to my tithe
Thank you Lord for loving me and for giving me your Word as guidance and as a way to know your heart. Lead me in the light and let me not live like I can return to the ways of my old self. Let the only option be for me to press forward to the goal and let me be blessed in my doing! I ask this in Jesus name, amen. 

Comments: Forgive me if you get a sense that I am ominous or focusing only on the fear of the Lord and a call to holiness. Please know that I rejoice in the Lord and if my joy and satisfaction and hope in the Lord doesn't jump out at you in any particular post...know that it is there:)

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!