Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Monday, June 25, 2012

The Encampment


Today's Reading: Numbers 2

God is with us-
Numbers 2:1–2 (ESV)The Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying, “The people of Israel shall camp each by his own standard, with the banners of their fathers’ houses. They shall camp facing the tent of meeting on every side.

Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Thank you Lord for your Word. Please let me see the meaning and application in it today- in Jesus name I pray, amen.


See how I arranged my people around the tabernacle Jeff. The heart of this great people, organized in a theocracy with no earthly king , was my glory- my presence. See that Judah led the march and they were organized for battle according to their maternal lines in groups of tribes with a lead tribe to have authority…


From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
It is probable that the doors of all their tents were made to look towards the tabernacle from all sides, for every Israelite should have his eyes always towards the Lord; therefore they worshipped at the tent-door. The tabernacle was in the midst of the camp, that it might be near to them; for it is a very desirable thing to have the solemn administrations of holy ordinances near us and within our reach.
Know that I am with you Jeff. As you march, as you approach the battles in Life, know that I am here. Be certain to turn your tent toward me always and see me. Do not be distracted by the world or by your troubles or even by your good circumstances. Always keep your tent oriented toward me and always remember that it is a tent you live in...you are merely a traveler here. Your home I prepare for you in heaven.

See that I had Judah lead my people in the march even though Moses, a Levite, was my spokesperson and their leader.

From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
The tribe of Judah was in the first post of honour, encamped towards the rising sun, and in their marches led the van, not only because it was the most numerous tribe, but chiefly because from that tribe Christ was to come, who is the Lion of the tribe of Judah, and was to descend from the loins of him who was now nominated chief captain of that tribe. Nahshon is reckoned among the ancestors of Christ, Mt. 1:4. So that, when he went before them, Christ himself went before them in effect, as their leader. Judah was the first of the twelve sons of Jacob that was blessed. Reuben, Simeon, and Levi, were censured by their dying father; he therefore being first in blessing, though not in birth, is put first, to teach children how to value the smiles of their godly parents and dread their frowns.
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Nu 2:3–34). Peabody: Hendrickson.
Application and Prayer:
  • Today I will keep my tent facing the tabernacle...I will fix my eyes on Jesus and remember that I am a visitor here
  • Today I will know that I am in a battle and need to keep in fellowship with my family, the family of God- His church
  • Today I will rejoice that my tent does not need to be far off but that I can enter the most holy place and make petition to the Lord directly due to his blood.
Thank you Lord for the history you have given us. Thank you for the amazing epic that you gave us to understand you and to understand ourselves. Please bless me today and let me keep a focus on your Son. In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!