Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Listen, Rejoice, Be Real!

Today's Reading: Acts 21

God is the Final Authority-
Acts 21:4 (ESV)And having sought out the disciples, we stayed there for seven days. And through the Spirit they were telling Paul not to go on to Jerusalem. 
Acts 21:11–12 (ESV)11 And coming to us, he took Paul’s belt and bound his own feet and hands and said, “Thus says the Holy Spirit, ‘This is how the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man who owns this belt and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.’ ” 12 When we heard this, we and the people there urged him not to go up to Jerusalem. 



Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord, please reveal yourself in your Word today and guide me to apply it to my life, amen.


See Jeff that the fellow disciples in Caesarea, including Luke, were trying to talk Paul out of returning to Jerusalem because it seemed evident, even by prophecy, that Paul would be captured.  Know that the fellowship of believers should fight for one another and watch out for one another like this Jeff, but also know that I am the final authority…
 Acts 21:13–14 (ESV)13 Then Paul answered, “What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be imprisoned but even to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.” 14 And since he would not be persuaded, we ceased and said, “Let the will of the Lord be done.”
Paul knew what I was requiring of Him Jeff and although the hearts of his brothers and sisters were in the right place Paul knew the path was set. So therefore Jeff, receive with gladness all exhortation and encouragement from others but be certain to look to me to discern whether I have brought you guidance in this person's exhortation or if I have another purpose.  Here I used this account to strengthen the illustration of Paul's commitment to do my will and to suffer for my sake. Like my Son who walked into Jerusalem knowing it would be His death, Paul too was prepared to suffer for the sake of my gospel.

Rejoice in the Fruit of the Ministry-
Acts 21:19–20a (ESV)19 After greeting them, he related one by one the things that God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry. 20 And when they heard it, they glorified God. 
Paul shared the stories of how I was at work expanding the church Jeff. Paul had a wonderful heart and he shared his experiences in ministry with the others for my glory. Do you see that the response was that they glorified me? They did not congratulate Paul and give him a trophy Jeff. So also know that together, those working for the sake of the gospel aught to share the blessings of changed lives and changed hearts with one another so that my glory may be seen and shared. All will be encouraged by hearing the stories and by the knowledge of my work amongst all of you.

Show that You are Not Crazy!- 
Acts 21:23–24 (ESV)23 Do therefore what we tell you. We have four men who are under a vow; 24 take these men and purify yourself along with them and pay their expenses, so that they may shave their heads. Thus all will know that there is nothing in what they have been told about you, but that you yourself also live in observance of the law.
See Jeff how Paul was urged to willingly, and publicly, take part in the Nazarite vow in order to show the Jews there in Jerusalem that he was not opposed to the voluntary subjection to the ceremonial law of the OT. Paul indeed took this vow and demonstrated that he was willing to become all things for all men in that he knew there was no harm and in fact he would keep many from stumbling by participating and showing that he had not gone off the deep end! 

Paul showed that he still knew from whence he came and acknowledged that there was room for a balance of acceptable tradition and a new covenant.  Jeff, you too can demonstrate this balance in showing that you can work diligently and that you can be faithful in earthly responsibilities I have given you while maintaining a focus on me and while serving my kingdom. You can demonstrate a balance that shows sustainability and adaptability, without compromise.

Application and Prayer:
  • Today I will follow your lead Jesus and I will receive all encouragement with a final focus on your testimony to me by your Spirit and by your Word
  • Today I will seek to abide in you that I might always have such guidance and direction from your Spirit
  • Today I will share the stories of your work and I will find ways to encourage this amongst your church
  • Today I will strive to maintain a wholesome balance in my life that will serve to evidence that I have not lost my marbles
Thank you Lord for your love today. Thank you Lord for your glory. Thank you Lord for your strong arm that holds me. Teach me Lord to live in the ways that you reveal to me in your Word. Show me the ways that I might apply your Word so that my life is transformed for your glory and so that I might be a willing participant in the process of sanctification where your Spirit is moving my from glory to glory into the likeness of your Son. I ask this in Jesus name for the glory of your kingdom, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!