Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Thursday, June 28, 2012

In His Timing


Today's Reading: Numbers 4


Setting-

In this chapter God directs Moses and Aaron (He usually just speaks to Moses) to take a census amongst the levitical tribe to determine those who are at least 30 years old and can serve in the tabernacle.

God outlines the various components of the tabernacle and court that are to be carried, setup, and managed by each of the three clans (within the tribe of Levi) in addition to Moses and the priests (Aaron's sons). 

The sons of Kohath (Kohathites) are given the high honor of carrying the most holy things but there is huge penalty should they blow it and accidentally touch anything but the carrying poles…
Numbers 4:4 (ESV)This is the service of the sons of Kohath in the tent of meeting: the most holy things.



Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord, please speak to me in your Word and reveal yourself to me. I aks this in Jesus name, amen.


Maturity required-

Numbers 4:3 (ESV)from thirty years old up to fifty years old, all who can come on duty, to do the work in the tent of meeting.
See Jeff that maturity and continued dedication to me should be present in those that would serve in ministry. Recall that many might respond to my Word but then their roots may not go deep and they turn from me at trouble or they become caught in the thorns due to the cares, riches, and pleasures of this life. I call my faithful servants to demonstrate a maturity and a trust in me that extends beyond circumstances and emotions Jeff.

From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
They were not to be employed till they were thirty years old, because till then they were in danger of retaining something childish and youthful and had not gravity enough to do the service, and wear the honour, of a Levite. They were entered as probationers at twenty-five years old, (ch.8:24), and in David’s time, when there was more work to be done, at twenty (1 Chr. 23:24, and so Ezra 3:8); but they must be five years learning and waiting, and so fitting themselves for service; nay, in David’s time they were ten years in preparation, from twenty to thirty. John Baptist began his public ministry, and Christ his, at thirty years old. This is not in the letter of it obligatory on gospel ministers now, as if they must either not begin their work till thirty years old or must leave off at fifty; but it gives us two good rules:—(1.) That ministers must not be novices, 1 Tim. 3:6. It is a work that requires ripeness of judgment and great steadiness, and therefore those are very unfit for it who are but babes in knowledge and have not put away childish things. (2.) That they must learn before they teach, serve before they rule, and must first be proved, 1 Tim. 3:10.
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Nu 4:1–20). Peabody: Hendrickson.


Move when He moves-

Numbers 4:5 (ESV)When the camp is to set out, Aaron and his sons shall go in and take down the veil of the screen and cover the ark of the testimony with it.
See that the priests could only enter the most holy section of the tabernacle once I removed my glory so that they would not perish due to entering before the day of atonement...
Leviticus 16:2 (ESV)and the Lord said to Moses, “Tell Aaron your brother not to come at any time into the Holy Place inside the veil, before the mercy seat that is on the ark, so that he may not die. For I will appear in the cloud over the mercy seat.
From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
and yet, the necessity of their unsettled state requiring it, that law is here dispensed with; for every time they removed Aaron and his sons went in to take down the ark, and make it up for carriage; for (as the learned bishop Patrick suggests) the shechinah, or display of the divine majesty, which was over the mercy-seat, removed for the present in the pillar of cloud, which was taken up, and then the ark was not dangerous to be approached.
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Nu 4:1–20). Peabody: Hendrickson.
Exodus 40:36–38 (ESV)36 Throughout all their journeys, whenever the cloud was taken up from over the tabernacle, the people of Israel would set out. 37 But if the cloud was not taken up, then they did not set out till the day that it was taken up. 38 For the cloud of the Lord was on the tabernacle by day, and fire was in it by night, in the sight of all the house of Israel throughout all their journeys.
So know Jeff that there will be a time and a place for action. Do not suppose to live by your own timing or your own plan, but always wait on me and know that I will reveal to you when and what you are to do. Always listen for my counsel by remaining in my Word and in prayer lest you miss the lifting of the cloud from the tabernacle. You might think it time to do this or that in my name but unless it is by my timing it is to ruin!


Look Alive!-

Numbers 4:6 (ESV)Then they shall put on it a covering of goatskin and spread on top of that a cloth all of blue, and shall put in its poles.
Jeff, know that you walk amongst this world bearing the tabernacle as I indwell you. Walk adorned in beauty and handle this tabernacle with great care! Do you suppose I care more or less for the tabernacle of your heart compared to this tabernacle of wood, metal, cloth, and gold that I describe in this passage?

From the Matthew Henry Comentary-
Those that are faithful to God should endeavour likewise to appear beautiful before men, that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour.
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Nu 4:1–20). Peabody: Hendrickson.


Guard one another-

Numbers 4:17–19 (ESV)17 The Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying, 18 “Let not the tribe of the clans of the Kohathites be destroyed from among the Levites, 19 but deal thus with them, that they may live and not die when they come near to the most holy things: Aaron and his sons shall go in and appoint them each to his task and to his burden,
Jeff, as the priests did for the Kohathites- guard one another in your service to me. Stand by one another and do not let your brothers stray from the path or mishandle my Word or their hearts...
Hebrews 3:12–14 (ESV)12 Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God. 13 But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end.
Application and Prayer:
  • Today I will pray and seek the God's lead with any ideas of ministry I may have
  • Today I will know that I must always listen for the Lord's timing
  • Today I will know that failure of something I am certain was good may be due to me not listening for His timing
  • Today I will look alive and represent well the tabernacle 
Thank you for speaking to me in your Word Lord. Please let me live by the lessons here and bless me in my doing according to James 1:22-25. I ask this in Jesus name, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!