Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Paul's Confidence

Today's Reading: Acts 23

Context:
Paul was finishing his address to the Jews in Jerusalem and at the end of his testimony, when he said God had told him to go to the gentiles, the Jews cried out and this caused the tribune to take him away.

They were to examine him by flogging to see why the people despised him but he mentioned that he was a roman citizen and they let did not flog him. Then in the morning the tribune brought him before the Chief Priests and the council to hear the "real" reason Paul was being accused...

Paul Boldly Faced the Council-
Acts 23:1 (ESV)And looking intently at the council, Paul said, “Brothers, I have lived my life before God in all good conscience up to this day.”



Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord please reveal yourself to me today in your Word. I ask this in Jesus name, amen.


See Jeff that Paul faced the council with boldness and confidence that set them back and made them defensive. He gave them account that there was no legitimate reason, nothing that the Jews could present against Paul to justify their anger.  Paul did not fear for his life Jeff, but he was bearing a burden to take my witness everywhere I led him at whatever cost it should come. Here with the council he wanted to be certain that they knew it was not for moral failure or some corruption or any other cause except for his conviction and commitment to God that they are angered against him. See Paul's reference back to this incident later in his letter to Timothy...
2 Timothy 4:16–18 (ESV)16 At my first defense no one came to stand by me, but all deserted me. May it not be charged against them! 17 But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion’s mouth. 18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.
See Paul's heart Jeff, that he did not concern himself with deliverance from a particular situation but rather, his hope was in the deliverer who he knew would ultimately deliver him in the last day. He hoped in me and not in what I might do for him on earth. Walk uprightly before me in good conscience and have such confidence in your life as well Jeff. Walk in the darkness and keep presumptuous sin in your camp if you wish to be double minded and powerless and wanting.

Paul Speaks Against Illegal and inappropriate Rule of Authority-
Acts 23:2–3 (ESV)And the high priest Ananias commanded those who stood by him to strike him on the mouth. Then Paul said to him, “God is going to strike you, you whitewashed wall! Are you sitting to judge me according to the law, and yet contrary to the law you order me to be struck?”
Notice Jeff that Paul was willing to speak against the council regarding the cruel abuse of authority that was not in accordance with law. So you should know it is appropriate to challenge the illegal activity of authority. Abortion is one example of such a crime that should be spoken against Jeff. Paul actually references the whitewashed wall to claim this official is a hypocrite! 

Paul's Commission Repeated-
Acts 23:11 (ESV)11 The following night the Lord stood by him and said, “Take courage, for as you have testified to the facts about me in Jerusalem, so you must testify also in Rome.”
Notice here that I send my Son to encourage and to strengthen Paul because he is alone and there seems no way out. See that I reveal myself as you obey Jeff and I will give you strength in time of need…
John 14:21 (ESV)21 Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”
So you see that Paul was acting under my commission as I previously testified by my Holy Spirit and now had repeated by manifestation of my Son...
Acts 19:21 (ESV)21 Now after these events Paul resolved in the Spirit to pass through Macedonia and Achaia and go to Jerusalem, saying, “After I have been there, I must also see Rome.”
This was a special time Jeff when I was working to establish redemptive history of my gospel message and you should not expect such direct revelation but know that I do not change; my promises remain. I WILL manifest myself to those who obey. If you want to know me and my will for you then abide in me and walk in surrender trusting always in me and not in an outcome- see again the example of your brothers Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in Daniel 8.

Application and Prayer:
  • Today I will walk uprightly, choosing not to allow willing sin in my life
  • Today I will face the world and my challenges with confidence that all is right with my soul and that I have a great deliverer
  • Today I will walk under the commission of God to be a leader in my home and wherever else He calls only after that primary call
  • Today I will trust my deliverer and I will surrender to his will regardless of the potential earthly outcome
Thank you Lord for giving me such a great confidence in your Son and the example of Paul is wonderful. Please create in me such a confidence Lord as I surrender and I pray that you would grant me such a blameless heart and that I would find all hope and security in you. I ask this in Jesus name, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!

View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!