Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Paul's Heart

Today's Reading: Acts 20

Comments: God is good and he provides all we need. Here are some thoughts from Acts 20...

Paul's heart beats for God- Acts 20:22-24
Acts 20:22–24 (ESV)22 And now, behold, I am going to Jerusalem, constrained by the Spirit, not knowing what will happen to me there, 23 except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and afflictions await me. 24 But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

Combination Prayer and Personalize it method: Lord please reveal yourself in this passage today- I ask this in Jesus name, amen.

Lord please give me this kind of heart that beats for you and that hears your voice clearly and that follows with joy like Paul the Apostle. Let me count this life as loss except that I might know you and accomplish the work of your kingdom. Train my heart in this Lord and transform me daily.
Philippians 3:8 (ESV)Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ
From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
(2.) Of a holy contempt of life, and the continuance and comforts of it: Neither count I my life dear to myself. Life is sweet, and is naturally dear to us. All that a man has will he give for his life; but all that a man has, and life too, will he give who understands himself aright and his own interest, rather than lose the favour of God and hazard eternal life. Paul was of this mind. Though to an eye of nature life is superlatively valuable, yet to an eye of faith it is comparatively despicable; it is not so dear but it can be cheerfully parted with for Christ. This explains Lu. 14:26, where we are required to hate our own lives, not in a hasty passion, as Job and Jeremiah, but in a holy submission to the will of God, and a resolution to die for Christ rather than to deny him.
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ac 20:17–35). Peabody: Hendrickson.
Paul leaves them with God's Word- Acts 20:32
Acts 20:32 (ESV)32 And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified.
Lord, let us not lose sight of your Word and it's value in our life. May we seek you in it daily for it is where we find your heart and where we hear your voice and where we gain the calling an here you do the work of sanctifying us to conform us into the likeness of your Son. Please build in us a passion for your Word that is unquenchable. Let us seek your Son and walk worthy of the sacrifice he made and of the calling we have in him.

Ephesians 4:1 (ESV)I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, 
Colossians 1:10 (ESV)10 so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.

Give, be compassionate- Acts 20:35
Acts 20:35 (ESV)35 In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”
Jeff- see here that I am encouraging giving in a ministry sense as well as a resource or time sense. Paul was speaking of how he had ministered to everyone without ceasing for three years and how he did not burden them for his needs but that he worked for them. He poured himself into these people with great compassion and care. Again know that I desire that you give of your income or resources to the poor and needy Jeff.

From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
3. That even then, when he worked for the supply of his own necessities, yet he spared something out of what he got for the relief of others; for this he here obliges them to do (v. 35): “I have shown you all things, that is, in all the parts of your duty I have set you your copy and given you a good example, and particularly in this, that so labouring you ought to support the weak.’ ’ Some understand it of their supporting the faith of weak believers, by removing the prejudices which some conceived against Christianity, as if the preachers of it made a gainful trade of their preaching, and the gospel was only a trick to get money by, and pick people’s pockets. “Now, that you may cut off occasion from those that seek occasion to reproach us, and so may support the weak among us, you will do well, for the present, to get your livelihood by the labour of your hands, and not to depend upon your ministry.’ ’ But I rather understand it of their helping to support the sick, and the poor, and those that could not labour, because it agrees with Paul’s exhortation (Eph. 4:28): Let him labour, working with his hands, that he may have to give to him that needeth. We must labour in an honest employment, not only that we may be able to live, but that we may be able to give. This might seem a hard saying, and therefore Paul backs it with a saying of our Master’s, which he would have them always to remember. These words our Lord Jesus said; it should seem, they were words he often used to his disciples. When he himself did so much good gratis, and bade them to do so too (Mt. 10:8, 9), he added this saying, which, though nowhere recorded by the evangelists, yet Paul had by word of mouth from Peter, or some other of the disciples; and an excellent saying it is, and has something of a paradox in it: It is more blessed to give than to receive.Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ac 20:17–35). Peabody: Hendrickson.
Application and Prayer:
  • Today I will look at you and I will try to maintain an eternal perspective through meditation on your Word
  • Today I will value your Word above every other thing and I will trust that you will do the sanctifying of my heart as I simply surrender
  • Today I will be compassionate and I will seek to give of myself in ministry and in service to the poor and needy in whatever ways you lead me Lord
Thank you for your amazing love. Thank you for giving me your Word and your Spirit as guidance. Please let me stay out of your way as you work this sanctification in me Lord. Be glorified in my family and teach all of us to cherish your Word. Help me to know Lord what things I am supposed to think about and what things I am supposed to do. Let me be a doer of your Word and please bless me in my doing as you promise in James 1:25.  In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!