Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Give a Defense, not an Offense

Today's Reading: Acts 22

Paul Gives a Defense of His Faith-
Acts 22:1–2 (ESV)“Brothers and fathers, hear the defense that I now make before you.”
And when they heard that he was addressing them in the Hebrew language, they became even more quiet. And he said:



Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Please speak to me in your Word today Lord. In Jesus name I pray, amen.


Jeff, Paul came back to Jerusalem knowing well that he would be captured and figuring that he would suffer. He came anyhow because of the testimony of the Holy Spirit calling him there and he spoke of his hope and his faith as one prepared to give a defense...
1 Peter 3:15 (ESV)15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,
Notice that Paul used a narrative style of giving an account for his testimony and how he identified with his audience with authenticity as a Jew. You also should be certain Jeff to share your faith with such a narrative approach of giving your heart, not trying to convince someone that your equation is correct. Like the Philippian Jailer who was saved due to the compassion of Paul and Silas so you need to establish care for others and let them see the love that God has given you. Recall that it was not the earthquake and miraculous release of the shackles and such that brought the jailer to faith...no, he was about to kill himself because of the prisoners escaping. It was when Paul and Silas yelled and let him know that they were still there that the Jailer broke down and his spirit was melted. He recognized their compassion and the love that they displayed for him by staying. The next thing the jailer said to them was "What must I do to be saved?" and he took them to his home where his entire family was converted!

Paul relates to the crowd in sharing his life as it was before meeting Jesus...
Acts 22:3 (ESV)“I am a Jew, born in Tarsus in Cilicia, but brought up in this city, educated at the feet of Gamaliel according to the strict manner of the law of our fathers, being zealous for God as all of you are this day.
Paul confesses of his past in a manner to let them know that he was just as they and also to establih a rapport as one who was no slouch in the way they operate…
Acts 22:4–5 (ESV)I persecuted this Way to the death, binding and delivering to prison both men and women, as the high priest and the whole council of elders can bear me witness. From them I received letters to the brothers, and I journeyed toward Damascus to take those also who were there and bring them in bonds to Jerusalem to be punished.
Paul's Testimony of His Apostleship-
Acts 22:6–8 (ESV)“As I was on my way and drew near to Damascus, about noon a great light from heaven suddenly shone around me. And I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?’ And I answered, ‘Who are you, Lord?’ And he said to me, ‘I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting.’ 

Acts 22:10–11 (ESV)10 And I said, ‘What shall I do, Lord?’ And the Lord said to me, ‘Rise, and go into Damascus, and there you will be told all that is appointed for you to do.’ 11 And since I could not see because of the brightness of that light, I was led by the hand by those who were with me, and came into Damascus.
 
Acts 22:12–16 (ESV)12 “And one Ananias, a devout man according to the law, well spoken of by all the Jews who lived there, 13 came to me, and standing by me said to me, ‘Brother Saul, receive your sight.’ And at that very hour I received my sight and saw him. 14 And he said, ‘The God of our fathers appointed you to know his will, to see the Righteous One and to hear a voice from his mouth; 15 for you will be a witness for him to everyone of what you have seen and heard. 16 And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’
Click here to review the post titled "Awakening" regarding paul's conversion…

Always be ready Jeff to tell others of what I have done in your life. Tell them about how I have transformed your desires and how I have freed you to be of a single mind and how I have revealed myself. Tell them of how you are experienceing eternity now rather than simply a hope in a future salvation or redemption in heaven. Let others know that they can experience the kingdom now and that the surrender I have called you to is the way to abide in me.

Nobody needs to settle for the same life plus a hope of heaven Jeff. Everyone can experience the kingdom and can live transformed today...

Application and Prayer:
  • Today I will walk prepared and eager to share the hope that you have given me Lord
  • Today I will remember the changes you have made in me so that I can share that with others
  • Today I will watch for the opportunities you bring and I pray that you will grant me the faith to step into them
  • Today I will seek to share with compassion and genuine care
Thank you Lord for saving me. Please continue to give me a heart that longs to share this transforming faith. Please let the words come Lord and fill me with your Spirit today in order to be prepared. Be glorious in me today Lord.  I ask this in Jesus name, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!