Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Lifted by His Love



Today's Reading: Psalm 13



Distressed by Circumstances then Lifted by His Love- Psalm 13:1



Psalm 13:1 (ESV)  How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?

Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord please illuminate you Word and let me see the application for my life. I ask this in the name of Jesus, amen.


Jeff- see David and how he freely expressed his distress to me and he came to me appealing that I draw near.  It is clearly acceptable that you lament over your circumstances and bring those concerns before me. Trusting in my sovereignty results in placing this sense of anticipation on me as the source of your circumstances and therefore the psalmist comes to me asking how long this will continue.

Notice Jeff that he asks that he may receive…
Psalm 13:3 (ESV)  Consider and answer me, O Lord my God;
light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,
Always come to me and ask for relief, ask for my blessing, and for my care. Perhaps I am allowing you this trial or this distress to bring you to me in the quiet place of prayer. Perhaps I am giving this as to draw you in that you may receive and be blessed if you would merely trust and ask. See how David came to me in prayer...

From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
His complaints stir up his prayers, v. 3, 4. We should never allow ourselves to make any complaints but what are fit to be offered up to God and what drive us to our knees. Observe here,
1. What his petitions are: Consider my case, hear my complaints, and enlighten my eyes, that is, (1.) “Strengthen my faith;’ ’ for faith is the eye of the soul, with which it sees above, and sees through, the things of sense. “Lord, enable me to look beyond my present troubles and to foresee a happy issue of them.’ ’ (2.) “Guide my way; enable me to look about me, that I may avoid the snares which are laid for me.’ ’ (3.) “Refresh my soul with the joy of thy salvation.’ ’ That which revives the drooping spirits is said to enlighten the eyes, 1 Sa. 14:27; Ezra 9:8. “Lord, scatter the cloud of melancholy which darkens my eyes, and let my countenance be made pleasant.’ ’
Henry, M. (1996). Matthew Henry's commentary on the whole Bible : Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ps 13:1–6). Peabody: Hendrickson.
From the Bible Knowledge Commentary-
David called on the Lord to look … answer, and rescue him from his situation. Give light to my eyes was David’s way of requesting divine wisdom or perspective on his need. He earnestly prayed this lest he sleep in death (cf. comments on 7:5; fall is lit., “die”), thus bringing triumphant joy to his enemy.
David expressed his trust in the Lord’s unfailing love (ḥeseḏ), the loyal love the Lord has for those who trust in Him. The enemies of David were challenging the faithfulness of God’s love to one of his covenant believers.
The psalmist, assured that his prayer had been heard, resolved to rejoice and sing to the Lord for giving him salvation and for dealing bountifully with him. (This is the first of several dozen references in the Pss. to God’s being good.) He fully anticipated the end of his long wait.
Walvoord, J. F., Zuck, R. B., & Dallas Theological Seminary. (1983-). The Bible knowledge commentary : An exposition of the scriptures (Ps 13:5). Wheaton, IL: Victor Books.
Know that you are not alone in your concerns Jeff. Know that my promises do not fail, even as the psalmist asked previously…
Psalm 77:8 (ESV)  Has his steadfast love forever ceased?
Are his promises at an end for all time?
Be assured that I do not change and I accomplish my purpose Jeff. Remember that the sum of my Word is truth…
Psalm 119:160 (ESV) 160  The sum of your word is truth,
and every one of your righteous rules endures forever.
Know that you have a compassionate God who weeps with you and understands your distress…
John 11:32–37 (ESV)32 Now when Mary came to where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet, saying to him, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.” 33 When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in his spirit and greatly troubled. 34 And he said, “Where have you laid him?” They said to him, “Lord, come and see.” 35 Jesus wept. 36 So the Jews said, “See how he loved him!” 37 But some of them said, “Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man also have kept this man from dying?”
Notice Jeff that this idea introduces my sovereign grace…the men mentioned above are correct, I could have stopped Lazarus' death in the first place. See that my mercy, my grace does not always stop tragedy or pain or suffering and may , at times, require it. This is why you trust in me and not in your expected outcomes. Remember Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego Jeff. Hear this poem by my servant John Piper on the topic…

Poem* by John Piper- 
Not grace to bar what is not bliss,
 Nor flight from all distress, but this:
 The grace that orders our trouble and pain,
 And then, in the darkness, is there to sustain. 
*Read or hear his sermon on this topic at this link (Sustained by Sovereign Grace Forever)
So yes Jeff, I am compassionate, I am sovereign, I love you deeply…and yet, there may still be pain. This does not need to leave you stuck in despair and without hope.  See that David found his hope and rejoiced in my love at the end of this psalm…
Psalm 13:5–6 (ESV)  But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
  I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.
See that my love is deep and my compassion is great Jeff. Do not be fooled by my allowance of tragedy or pain in your life. Let not this seem to nullify my promises but be reassured that I am with you…
Psalm 23:4 (ESV)  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
  for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
Application and Prayer:
  • Today I will hope in the Lord and not in my circumstances
  • Today I will bring my humble, but sincere and vulnerable heart before the Lord when I am down trodden and confused about his purpose
  • Today I will remember his promises and his love 
  • Today I will ask for wisdom and understanding in the midst of my troubles

Lord, thank you for your unfailing love. Thank you for your abundant care and compassion regarding the things that hurt me. Thank you that you wept with the family of Lazarus before raising him from the dead. Thank you for showing us that sometimes you let tragedy happen but that you also cry with us in the midst of it. Thank you for understanding our pains and for hearing our trembling prayers of confusion and trouble. Teach us to trust you and to rest in your grace Lord. Let us take you alone as our portion.  I ask this in Jesus name, amen.
Lamentations 3:24 (ESV) 24  “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
“therefore I will hope in him.”
Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

1 comment:

  1. You know the sayin: "when all else fails ask God." Thats so stupid....All else will fail so let us trust in him for All things. Thanks for the study brother.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!