Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Friday, June 22, 2012

Paul's Confession a Guide



Today's Reading: Acts 24

Tertullus presents charges-


3 charges were presented against Paul before Felix...

From the ESV Study Bible-
Tertullus accused Paul of three crimes: stirring up riots, being a Christian ringleader, and profaning “the temple” (v. 6). To a Roman the first charge would have been the most serious, amounting to a charge of sedition, threatening the Roman peace. The second charge Paul readily accepted (v. 14), but the first and third he flatly denied (vv. 12–13).
Crossway Bibles. (2008). The ESV Study Bible (2137). Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles.

From the Bible Exposition Commentary-
As far as the temple charge was concerned, Paul was in the temple to worship and not to lead a disturbance. In fact, the temple records would show that Paul was registered to pay the costs for four Jews who had taken a Nazarite vow. Paul had not preached in the temple or the synagogues, nor had he preached anywhere in the city. (Years before, Paul had made an agreement with Peter and the Jerusalem elders that he would not evangelize the Jews in Jerusalem. See Gal. 2:7–10.) Nobody could prove that he was guilty of leading any kind of rebellion against the Jews or the Romans.
Furthermore, since he had been in Jerusalem only a week (the twelve days of Acts 24:11, minus the five days of Acts 24:1), there had hardly been time to organize and lead an assault on the temple!
Wiersbe, W. W. (1996). The Bible exposition commentary (Ac 24:10). Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books.


Paul's Confession-


Acts 24:14–15 (ESV)14 But this I confess to you, that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our fathers, believing everything laid down by the Law and written in the Prophets, 15 having a hope in God, which these men themselves accept, that there will be a resurrection of both the just and the unjust. 
Although he states that he believes still in the entirety of the law and everything laid down by the prophets, Paul identified that he was preaching a different way to worship and serve and express faith in the same God…
John 5:23 (ESV)23 that all may honor the Son, just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.
The truth is that Jesus fulfilled and came as promised by the law and the prophets.  Paul further did not teach abandoning of the law but a right understanding of it...
Galatians 2:15–21 (ESV)15 We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; 16 yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.
17 But if, in our endeavor to be justified in Christ, we too were found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not! 18 For if I rebuild what I tore down, I prove myself to be a transgressor. 19 For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.
So notice Jeff that you aught not rebuild what was torn down- Do not allow the selfish life of seeking your own kingdom rise up again. Do not think that walking in the light and embracing eternal life in Christ Jesus looks anything like the life you used to live. It cannot look like that whatsoever. Do not suppose that you are to live the same, but just add Jesus! That is a lie and makes Christ a servant of sin as Paul contests.
Galatians 3:17–18 (ESV)17 This is what I mean: the law, which came 430 years afterward, does not annul a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to make the promise void. 18 For if the inheritance comes by the law, it no longer comes by promise; but God gave it to Abraham by a promise.
So now you see that faith and justification by faith came before the law and I save therefore by promise, by covenant, not by achieving some obedience to the law.  But recall that those who love me will gladly keep my statutes out of their loving gratitude and a desire to know me...

John 14:15 (ESV)15 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 

John 15:10 (ESV)10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love.


Paul's conclusion and the truth-


Acts 24:16 (ESV)16 So I always take pains to have a clear conscience toward both God and man.
Here Paul discloses his heart. He explains that he actually goes through great effort to remain of good conscious with both God and man.  This expresses his understanding that it is right and good to keep a blameless heart and to walk in obedience not for salvation but to abide and to know God and to live worthy of the call. He further indicates that he even goes further and keeps practices, or avoids others, that would keep him in the good graces of the other Jews…even taking the Nazarite vow by redeeming his service in the payment for the completion of the vow by others.

Paul takes very seriously the impact of his actions and his words on others and he desires that his example lead everyone to Jesus. As he turned from the Jews in agreement with Peter he did not write them off or consider their traditions to be wrong…only lacking a proper conclusion and destination and purpose.

So Jeff, you too should always take pains to serve others and to maintain a clear conscience that your witness would be validated and that you would have an audience before them to make your defense of the hope that I have given you. Let not a disregard for what others believe important or what carries value in the relationship hinder your ability to have influence. You need to sacrifice freedoms sometimes and you need to afflict yourself if you want to reach out with my gospel message...
1 Corinthians 9:19–23 (ESV)19 For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. 21 To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. 23 I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.


God is not your genie-


Acts 24:26 (ESV)26 At the same time he hoped that money would be given him by Paul. So he sent for him often and conversed with him.
See that you never take this approach Jeff. Know that sometimes you may be tempted or be under a misunderstanding of who I am in that you come to me to get what you want rather than to learn what I want.  Felix came regularly to Paul for two years but was always searching for what he wanted in the relationship, always hoping that he would get what he valued as his idol. Be certain Jeff not to come to me seeking your own kingdom and the things of this world that you value…not even the good gifts that I give…seek me, know me, serve me, love me, dine with me, abide in me and I will transform your desires so that I may fulfil them in my own purpose…
Psalm 145:18–19 (ESV) 18  The Lord is near to all who call on him,
to all who call on him in truth.
 19  He fulfills the desire of those who fear him;
he also hears their cry and saves them.
Application and Prayer:
  • Today I will walk in obedience in order to abide in Christ and to know Him
  • Today I will walk in obedience in gratitude and to live worthy of the calling 
  • Today I will fear the Lord and walk humbly with Him thus expecting Him to transform my mind and change my desires to match his purposes
  • Today I will seek to be everything to my wife and kids that I may maintain a good conscience before them in order to not hinder my ability to lead and to encourage them
Thank you Lord for teaching me from your Word today. Please fill me and let me hear your voice as I walk through the remainder of my day. In Jesus name I pray, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!