Why Follow?

Let me be an encouragement to you that you may see there is joy in surrendering your time to the Lord. Join me in spending the first part of your day with our Savior! I recommend journaling and meditating on what you see in the Word...

Friday, June 29, 2012

It is Plain (udated 6/30/12)


Today's Reading: Acts 26


Setting-


Paul has been captive for over two years and turned down an offer to be tried in Jerusalem in favor of appealing to Caesar. He is now giving a defense of himself before King Agrippa (king is the title but he is essentially governor over certain portions of the Roman empire- Nero is King at this time). Paul has been captive since the Jews grabbed him out of the temple where he was assisting some other Jews with their Nazirite vow and properly observing Jewish customs. There was nothing done that would warrant charges other than their hatred for his message of Jesus being the Son of God and the only way to be redeemed.



Paul gives a complete defense-

Acts 26:1–2 (ESV)26 So Agrippa said to Paul, “You have permission to speak for yourself.” Then Paul stretched out his hand and made his defense:
“I consider myself fortunate that it is before you, King Agrippa, I am going to make my defense today against all the accusations of the Jews,



Personalize it method (Rick Warren's 40 Days in the Word): Lord please illuminate your Word today and let me understand your message. I ask this in Jesus name, amen.


Here Paul gives the most detailed defense of his faith and the clearest gospel presentation as is recorded of his captivity in Caeserea.
Acts 26:5–7 (ESV)They have known for a long time, if they are willing to testify, that according to the strictest party of our religion I have lived as a Pharisee. And now I stand here on trial because of my hope in the promise made by God to our fathers, to which our twelve tribes hope to attain, as they earnestly worship night and day. And for this hope I am accused by Jews, O king!
Here Jeff Paul makes the distinct point that the gospel he now teaches is not a different message, but actually the same message that God has given through the Law and the prophets extending back to the beginning of the Jewish faith with Abraham.

The entirety of my Word speaks of my Son Jeff. The message of redemption found only in my Son is pervasive and cannot be escaped throughout biblical history. Know that everything I have done throughout time led to the cross and everything done since then focuses back on that cross Jeff. Also Jeff, this message of surrender that I gave you- it is nothing new either. The idea of absolute surrender and daily reliance on my Son is the Christian walk I want for everyone. Eternity does not begin at death Jeff, eternity is now. My kingdom has come! Live my kingdom life now! Be transformed!



Jesus' commission to Paul-


Acts 26:14–18 (ESV)14 And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew language, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’ 15 And I said, ‘Who are you, Lord?’ And the Lord said, ‘I am Jesus whom you are persecuting. 16 But rise and stand upon your feet, for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to appoint you as a servant and witness to the things in which you have seen me and to those in which I will appear to you, 17 delivering you from your people and from the Gentiles—to whom I am sending you 18 to open their eyes, so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’
My Son used the goads reference here Jeff because it speaks of the sticks that would be used to prod oxen. Paul could no longer evade what I have determined Jeff. I am sovereign and he is now going to be under my calling, living for my kingdom rather than his. Know that you too have this purpose in my kingdom Jeff, each Christian has this purpose- to stand up and to be a witness of what we have come to know of Christ that others might be turned from darkness to light by my Spirit.  Notice that my Son refers to the unbeliever being under the power of satan…recall Romans 2:12 where Paul refers to the influence of the world (and hence- the prince of this world, Satan) causing one to be conformed. Be certain to surrender to me and allow me to then transform you (from darkness to light under the power of my Holy Spirit)!  See how Jesus says that this brings forgiveness of sins and then a place among those that are sanctified by faith in Him. Trusting in Him to do this work is the key Jeff. With my Spirit giving you the gift of illumination so that you now have eyes to see and ears to hear, trust that I will sanctify you. Just as your salvation (original belief and justification in my Son) came by faith and not works- so also the process of sanctification (moving closer to the likeness of my Son in holiness) is also accomplished by faith as it is a work that I do, not you. Never think that you job is to just avoid sin Jeff. Forget that- you vocation shall be to love my Son and to seek His face and to know my heart by reading my Word and by sharing your heart with me in prayer in the quiet hours Jeff. This will naturally (supernaturally actually) bring sanctification because you will be abiding in me as a branch on the vine!
Romans 12:2 (ESV)Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
A world that lies in wickedness, in the wicked one, must be sanctified and reformed; it is not enough for them to have their eyes opened, they must have their hearts renewed; not enough to be turned from darkness to light, but they must be turned from the power of Satan unto God, which will follow of course; for Satan rules by the power of darkness, and God by the convincing evidence of light. Sinners are under the power of Satan; idolaters were so in a special manner, they paid their homage to devils. All sinners are under the influence of his temptations, yield themselves captives to him, are at his beck; converting grace turns them from under the dominion of Satan, and brings them into subjection to God, to conform to the rules of his word and comply with the dictates and directions of his Spirit, translates them out of the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of his dear Son. When gracious dispositions are strong in the soul (as corrupt and sinful dispositions had been), it is then turned from the power of Satan unto God.
Henry, M. (1994). Matthew Henry’s commentary on the whole Bible: Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ac 26:12–23). Peabody: Hendrickson.
Acts 26:20 (ESV)20 but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance.
See here Jeff that the message Paul was delivering was not one of sin management. He did not say to merely repent. He did not say to quit acting like boneheads and then get back to basic living. He did not say to quit drinking and cussing and then to live otherwise the same as you were before. He said to "repent AND TURN TO GOD, performing deeds in keeping with your repentance."

From the Matthew Henry Commentary-
To turn to God. They must not only conceive an antipathy to sin, but they must come into a conformity to God-must not only turn from that which is evil, but turn to that which is good; they must turn to God, in love and affection, and return to God in duty and obedience, and turn and return from the world and the flesh; this is that which is required from the whole revolted degenerate race of mankind, both Jews and Gentiles; epistrephein epi ton Theonto turn back to God, even to him: to turn to him as our chief good and highest end, as our ruler and portion, turn our eye to him, turn our heart to him, and turn our feet unto his testimonies.
Henry, M. (1994). Matthew Henry’s commentary on the whole Bible: Complete and unabridged in one volume (Ac 26:12–23). Peabody: Hendrickson.
So understand here Jeff that "deeds keeping with your repentance" means that you aught not repent with your mouth and confess a surrender to me and yet not live in surrender. This is deception and you actually develop an evil, unbelieving heart if you were to continue…
Hebrews 3:12–14 (ESV)12 Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God. 13 But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end.
So hold fast to the fellowship and maintain a banding together with men that you would guard one another's hearts!
Acts 26:23 (ESV)23 that the Christ must suffer and that, by being the first to rise from the dead, he would proclaim light both to our people and to the Gentiles.”
Paul referenced the old testament prophesies of the Christ in order to make his case of this singular message in the entirety of my Word Jeff. Jesus came with a plan to suffer and to die. He indeed proclaims light to all as he conquered death and made a way for all to be resurrected into eternal life with Him. Just don't wait for this final resurrection to a new body to begin living Jeff! Live now! Do not continue to live as though you are dead. See too that my Son here had authority and power to open their eyes- it is by my Spirit that I give understanding to you today…
Luke 24:44–47 (ESV)44 Then he said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” 45 Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, 46 and said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, 47 and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.
So Jeff, fail not to find my Son in the whole of scripture. Fail not to speak of my gospel by use of the old testament and the amazing history there. Understand that all of my actions were leading to the cross.
Acts 26:26–29 (ESV)26 For the king knows about these things, and to him I speak boldly. For I am persuaded that none of these things has escaped his notice, for this has not been done in a corner. 27 King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know that you believe.” 28 And Agrippa said to Paul, “In a short time would you persuade me to be a Christian?” 29 And Paul said, “Whether short or long, I would to God that not only you but also all who hear me this day might become such as I am—except for these chains.”
Do you see Jeff, that Agrippa was learned in Judaism and understood Paul's references to the prophets? Agrippa was faced with a logical conclusion that my Son must be the Christ and the redemption of His people but this mental understanding is not enough. Agrippa, as others in your life, chooses to deny what he plainly sees in order to protect his way of life and his pride. The fact is that a keen understanding of my Word will allow you to evidence the plain facts of my redemptive plan Jeff. Let it not be a mystery to you but learn my Word and make reference to it as you share your hope in my Son with others.

However- recall the Philippian jailer and how it was compassion that won his heart, not the plain truth. Also see how Paul wants all to be like him and he is fine with the time being short or long- so long as they come! Know that you are a walking tabernacle Jeff and your life should bear witness of me and the message received that would have potential to convert others to be "like you" should actually be a good thing. This "like you" should plainly be a soul that is hungry for me and that seeks after me daily and walks in the light. Also be not discouraged when my timing is not according to your liking. I do not bring everyone in the same timing and they too are making choices that I allow as part of the loving courtship I enter into with my bride. Remember that I woo, I do not overwhelm- save for special purpose as I did with Paul on the road to Damascus.

Application and prayer:
  • Today I will carry the message that has always been the message from the garden of Eden- Trust Jesus!
  • Today I will read the old testament with a view of the cross
  • Today I will be faithful to walk in the light and to live eternity now that others becoming "like me" is actually a good thing!
Thank you Lord for loving me so. Thank you for this message in Acts 26. Please help me to live the kingdom life now Lord and let my life bear witness to this life and this hope in Jesus. Use me to spread this message and may I make it plain to others- then may I show how much I care and may you do an amazing work by your Spirit as you did with the Philippian jailer.  I ask this in Jesus name, amen.

Soli Deo Gloria!
View blog from a computer or iPad for more content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting- I will probably post it if you dont seem to be a crazy person!